cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG GL551JM going into sleep mode randomly

Ulfarr
Level 7
Hi, I need a little help with my pc. Recently I have been having a problem with my computer going into sleep mode randomly even if I'm using it at the moment it happens. Sometimes it happens once I turn it on and it doesn't happen anymore for a few hours. But sometimes it goes into sleep mode, I turn the pc on and it goes into sleep mode again immediately or a few seconds later, so I have to turn it on again with the possibility to go into sleep mode again, and so on, or just continue to work normally before it happens again a few hours later.

I've been using W10 since its release without this issue. I can't recall exactly when this problem started happening but it has been like 4 weeks ago. I do remember windows had a major update almost a month ago, so I think it can be related to that but I'm not sure. Also, I'm not sure what was the update so I don't know which restore point should I try to perform a restore. Other programs I have installed recently are Illustrator and Photoshop CC 2015, these programs cause BSODs or crashes if I use them without the laptop being plugged in, but I doubt they cause the sleep mode problem because it happens even if I'm not using them.

Is someone having this problem? What can I do to fix it, or should I wait for the next Windows update to see if it has been fixed?
1 REPLY 1

Visemannen
Level 7
"I've been using W10 since its release without this issue. I can't recall exactly when this problem started happening but it has been like 4 weeks ago."

So, I have found the solution, at least for me.

Ok, I understand this post is almost a year old. However, I think that your "4 weeks ago" was exactly the date when you put on a metallic/magnetic bracelet on your left hand.

I had the same problem, and when searching for information about "ASUS laptop going randomly to sleep", this post comes high in the search.

It was my metallic BRACELT WITH A MAGNET that I wear on the left hand, that touches the area left of the mousepad (left corner of laptop). There seems to be something reacting to the magnet/bracelet, and the laptop thinks the lid/screen is closed, and it goes into sleep mode!

I have tested this several times now, and yes, this really was the problem for me. Feel a little dumb after searching the net for answers and updating all drivers etc, but anyway, now the computer works again :cool: