Code_Panther
Level 7
System specs:
Mobo: Maximus VIII Impact
cpu: 6700k Skylake
RAM: Dominator platinum ddr4 2x16GB 3000MHZ
GPU: GT240

Hello all!

Just completed a new build and haven't been able to install windows 7,8.1,10 in 64 bit without getting a bsod screen, just when the installation boots on windows logo

The Bsod screen is the following: 0xc000021a and then when it gets to a booting loop it changes to Critical_process_DIED Bsod
I have no problems on post... just the booting of any usb or dvd of windows 64bit. But I manage to run any 32 bit system and now running virtual box on win7 32 bit it boots any kind of 64 bit Dvd from windows
And I have been going through mobo settings:
clear cmos button
cms on/off;
boot secure - other Os/windows uefi;
Fast boot - on/off;
Load efi from usb drives;
xhci- On/off
Optimised defaults;
Sata set to ahci;
1 Ram stick;
Boot as Uefi or non UEFI
Unplug battery from mobo

Same bsod comes up. I also have tried all windows f8 boot options and all end up with the blue screen.
I also have updated the bios and same thing...
If there is something like virtual box that can load a windows image in64 bit into the bios my problems would be solved.
Or another way I can load a 64bit OS into a HDD or ssd with the asus drives in it.

Will appreciate all the help as I'm getting a cancer from it 😄
Also been on and on with it for days trying to find a solution even with asus mail support and other places on the web.
45 REPLIES 45

Nate152
Hello Code_Panther

Welcome to the ROG forum.

List the optical drive and the ssd you're installing windows to, list everything you have connected to your pc including your mouse and keyboard.

Since you already spoke with support I'm not going to guarantee you a fix but let's see if we can find what's causing the BSOD's.

This 0xc000021a has been reported as a bug as well and i haven't been the only one with similar specs going through the same thing.

Also I haven't mentioned that I did the dumbest thing on the first boot of this rig... I plugged the ssd with windows 10 64 bit already installed that was from my older rig on it and it ran but then when I opened speed fan to accesss mobo and cpu temps it crashed and froze and this blue screen followed me ever since so i decided to do a clean install with clean mobile sata hdd i have lying around :
So I only use 1 hdd connected on the mobo to do the install of 64bits:
Hdd : Western digital 160 GB WD1600bevs
mouse: Wireless rat9
keybord : pok3r

more on the 0xc000021a:
(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177%28v=vs.85%29.aspx http://appuals.com/best-fix-steps-fix-error-0xc000021a/)

Code_Panther wrote:
This 0xc000021a has been reported as a bug as well and i haven't been the only one with similar specs going through the same thing.

Also I haven't mentioned that I did the dumbest thing on the first boot of this rig... I plugged the ssd with windows 10 64 bit already installed that was from my older rig on it and it ran but then when I opened speed fan to accesss mobo and cpu temps it crashed and froze and this blue screen followed me ever since so i decided to do a clean install with clean mobile sata hdd i have lying around :
So I only use 1 hdd connected on the mobo to do the install of 64bits:
Hdd : Western digital 160 GB WD1600bevs
mouse: Wireless rat9
keybord : pok3r

more on the 0xc000021a:
(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177%28v=vs.85%29.aspx http://appuals.com/best-fix-steps-fix-error-0xc000021a/)

Also this new skylake cpus might have security measures built in in accordance with microsoft since they want to lock these cpus to only windows 10... and maybe i just need a windows 10 fresh dvd from the store to install it since the problem can be that im using media tool from microsoft... but then again why would 32 bit work and not 64... I made usb with windows 10 both verions on in and the 32 bit booted in non uefi and the 64 gave same blue screen

Will appreciate a lot all the help...

Nate152
Yeah a clean install should fix you up, the older drivers and new motherboard likely weren't getting along. 🙂

Nate152
Ahh I see yes you always want to do a fresh windows install with a new motherboard, so you got windows 64 bit installed on the WD 160GB hdd?

I installed windows 7 64bit in UEFI mode on my ocz vector ssd and maximus viii formula with no problems with an Asus optical drive and the widows installation disk, all I did was select the Asus optical drive with UEFI in front of it and set it as boot priority 1, reboot and tap any key to boot from cd/dvd and it starts loading files.

After windows installs make sure "windows boot manager" is set as boot priority 1.

There's nothing special I needed to do, did you get windows installed?

Nate152 wrote:
Ahh I see yes you always want to do a fresh windows install with a new motherboard, so you got windows 64 bit installed on the WD 160GB hdd?

I installed windows 7 64bit in UEFI mode on my ocz vector ssd and maximus viii formula with no problems with an Asus optical drive and the widows installation disk, all I did was select the Asus optical drive with UEFI in front of it and set it as boot priority 1, reboot and tap any key to boot from cd/dvd and it starts loading files.

After windows installs make sure "windows boot manager" is set as boot priority 1.

There's nothing special I needed to do, did you get windows installed?

Well the fatal error was to run the system for the first time with a windows 10 from another rig... which I should have done a clean install like i did in my other build.

So either wrong values from drives of the older mobo went to my new rog mobo or bios ... or the windows 10 didn't recognized the new system as its all a new body for that os that was already installed on the ssd.
So either it ran a backdoor thing to lock my motherboard from booting a 64 bit os... becaus i tried to install from any dvd version or usb in 64 bit.
the boot will start to check pc and load the drivers but then it crashes into bsod before i can get to the first instal screen.

I have cleared my cmos a couple of times and nothing. funny thing is all goes well when booting a 64 OS on virtual box and virtual box uses the host hardware so like wtf?
is the ram or bios still caching some settings that screw the boot of installs of any 64 bit Os

Does the cmos button on my I/O plate really clears the above or not?

Nate152
Clearing the cmos resets the bios to default settings and you shouldn't have any problems installing windows after doing this, the only thing I can think of is the installer is corrupt or it's how you have it configured.

I would recommend getting the windows 10 64bit installation disk and trying that.

I did used a couple of times the cmos button even unplugged the battery connector for an hour... lol
I have a guy saying on another forum it can be something to do with the usb ports and what is connected to it... as a guy in another forum just told me we was having a issue like this and even tryed with different rams and hdds... and by just swapping the mouse and keyboard usb cables to other ports solved his problem... and I actually notice when the 64 bit os installer is loading with the dots.. while they spin i can see the lights of my mouse wireless receiver lights turn off and on just before the bsod...
so as you asked me earlier on on the thread about what mouse and keyboard i had connected... maybe you have some info on that?

Nate152 wrote:
Clearing the cmos resets the bios to default settings and you shouldn't have any problems installing windows after doing this, the only thing I can think of is the installer is corrupt or it's how you have it configured.

I would recommend getting the windows 10 64bit installation disk and trying that.

I did used a couple of times the cmos button even unplugged the battery connector for an hour... lol
I have a guy saying on another forum it can be something to do with the usb ports and what is connected to it... as a guy in another forum just told me we was having a issue like this and even tryed with different rams and hdds... and by just swapping the mouse and keyboard usb cables to other ports solved his problem... and I actually notice when the 64 bit os installer is loading with the dots.. while they spin i can see the lights of my mouse wireless receiver lights turn off and on just before the bsod...
so as you asked me earlier on on the thread about what mouse and keyboard i had connected... maybe you have some info on that?