cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Sabertooth Z170 Mark I video issues in BIOS

whoopzy
Level 7
I've recently assembled the system in my profile description and I'm having a few issues while in the BIOS.

The navigation is sluggish (using the keyboard feels better than the mouse), wiggling the mouse lags the cursor a little behind, clicking the tabs at the top in advanced mode triggers a very slow transition animation to the next page (this I've solved by disabling the Setup Animator in "Tools") and
the worst symptom is that I'm experiencing occasional video corruption on small areas of the screen (it looks like the portion of the screen doesn't get refreshed properly and moving the mouse over the area "repairs" the issue. See this video here).

The whole thing feels a little worse than using Windows without an accelerated video driver.

I'm also a bit confused about the BIOS saying "Please select a valid GPU" at the GOP/VBIOS Status (see attachments), because I've upgraded the video card's BIOS to the latest version and I have one that supports UEFI.

Other than these, I've got no issues with the system: I've got the latest BIOS version (1702), and everything seems stable: no overheating, no memtest/prime95 errors, no video issues while playing games or movies, etc.

What could be the cause of the video artifacts in the BIOS?

PS: I'm using a display over a DVI link.
5 REPLIES 5

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Regarding the lag issue in BIOS have you tried adjusting your memory settings? Lower the speed or adjust the timings? Try running Furmark for at least an hour and see if you get any artifacts.

InfernoStorm wrote:
Regarding the lag issue in BIOS have you tried adjusting your memory settings? Lower the speed or adjust the timings? Try running Furmark for at least an hour and see if you get any artifacts.

The BIOS feels the same with memory running at both 2133 MHz and 3000 MHz (after enabling XMP). Ran Furmark for a while for about 15 minutes, until the temperature stabilized, with no visible artifacts. But I've been gaming a lot lately and everything works fine, so I doubt it's the video card.
If I were to speculate, I'd say that the BIOS is using an unusual/unoptimized/unaccelerated video mode, and because of that I get the laggy feeling and the occasional video artifacts... 😞

Chino
Level 15

kthejoker20
Level 7
i had the same problem. The older video cards are not compatible with the new pciex. i had a 560ti.

Once I upgraded to a gtx970, no problems.

You could try chaning slots, but that probably wont do anything . It's your only shot.

Legolas
Level 9
Hi, I like to help.
Make sure BIOS -> Advanced -> System Agent Configuration -> PEG Configuration -> PCIEx16_2 Link speed -> Gen 3
BIOS -> Advanced -> PCH Configuration -> PCIe Speed -> Gen 3
Unplug video card, and plug it back in, make sure it is installed properly.
Please make sure you plug all power connection to the GPU. Did you ever try another graphics card?
Sincerely,
Legolas