cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY Slow?

purekaoz777
Level 8
Hey guys, i recently bought a ROG G752VY and it is VERRRRY slow. Slow to startup, slow to open a program, slow when playing games. I'm not even sure how or why but maybe it can be the HDD read? I recently purchased it with Windows 10 v1511 and i'm considering on reinstalling a fresh windows 10 with no added software but I would like other suggestions as I have already installed quiet a few programs from my job.

Here is my HDD speed, i'm not sure how to read it so if anyone can help me that'll be great hahah.

Another thing that may be causing it is Windows 10? This is my first time using windows 10 so I'm very uneducated on what features it does.

My Comp specs:
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-6700HQ Skylake
8GB Ram
GTX 980M 3GB

Any help would be appreciated, thanks 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

JustinThyme
Level 13
Which model G752VY do you have? Which HDD?
Its not the OS unless something is corrupted.
I find it easier to just uninstall what you don't want over the fresh install method.
To see what your HDD is doing download and run crystalmarks benchmark tool then post a screenie of that result.
A good performance Benchmark is also 3Dmarks firestrike.
It may be something as simple as the power profile you have set. The default battery saving mode allows the CPU to dip all the way to 5%. I set mine to performance as I never use it unplugged and sometime even set default CPU core up to 100% when running something intensive.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

What you posted is not real slow for a 7200 mechanical HDD

However I have the same laptop G752VY and it comes with a Samsung NVME M.2 drive for boot and OS and a 7200 mechanical HDD for the secondary one. I have changed out the mechanical HDD with a Samsung evo but even with the 7200 it was not slow.

However mine came with 32GB of system ram , same cpu and same GPU (4 GB ram)

I am curious as why yours just has a 7200 HDD? odd

dwightturner36 wrote:
What you posted is not real slow for a 7200 mechanical HDD

However I have the same laptop G752VY and it comes with a Samsung NVME M.2 drive for boot and OS and a 7200 mechanical HDD for the secondary one. I have changed out the mechanical HDD with a Samsung evo but even with the 7200 it was not slow.

However mine came with 32GB of system ram , same cpu and same GPU (4 GB ram)

I am curious as why yours just has a 7200 HDD? odd

Yes I was too wondering why it only came with 1TB considering the price of $3700... And it isn't even 7200, according to my last pic it is a 5400? lol. I'm considering buying a M.2 SSD for boot and OS

purekaoz777
Level 8
I have a G752VY-GC255T. I had a little more fiddling around and I noticed my disk usage sometimes spikes up to 100% and others have said to remove notifications from the Windows settings. That helped a lot.

I noticed you have a G752 as well, did you remove the preinstalled apps that came with the laptop or did you leave it all?

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes HD Tune is an excellent hard drive testing program. Yours is running a little slow unless its more than 50% used! Since this in a new notebook there are a lot of background stuff going on Indexing etc. It will speed up after awhile most likely as it settles in. Your best bet to get better performance would be to install a M2 NVMe SSD and clone your hard drive to it.. You will be amazed at the performance increase.
For Window 10 performance it on par with Windows 8.1 and faster than 7, The easiest way I have found to work with it, is to install Classic Shell Free and configure CS to look like windows 7 uses a gpedit to eliminate the lock screen and boot directly Log in screen. Then hide all the Metro Apps, change all the file Association to your desktop programs that you have always used. That pretty much makes 10 work just like 7 did, only on steroids.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes HD Tune is an excellent hard drive testing program. Yours is running a little slow unless its more than 50% used! Since this in a new notebook there are a lot of background stuff going on Indexing etc. It will speed up after awhile most likely as it settles in. Your best bet to get better performance would be to install a M2 NVMe SSD and clone your hard drive to it.. You will be amazed at the performance increase.
For Window 10 performance it on par with Windows 8.1 and faster than 7, The easiest way I have found to work with it, is to install Classic Shell Free and configure CS to look like windows 7 uses a gpedit to eliminate the lock screen and boot directly Log in screen. Then hide all the Metro Apps, change all the file Association to your desktop programs that you have always used. That pretty much makes 10 work just like 7 did, only on steroids.

Yeah my current HDD is already almost full so that might be slowing the performance. Is there a easy way to clone my current HDD to a new SSD with a program or will a simple drag and drop suffice? There's a lot of programs I really don't want to reinstall. Thanks for the Classic Shell link, I will give that a shot!

dwightturner36
Level 8
Or at least get a 2.5 inch SSD drive and a usb 3 drive caddy

Samsung drives like Samsung Evo /Evo pro are great drives and come with super easy drive clone software

Then you can use the caddy to put ur 7200 mechanical drive in as an external backup storage device

But ditch the mechanical drive !

purekaoz777
Level 8
Yeah I'm considering getting a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB m.2 for now to see if that will solve the slowness problem. But according to this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW the G752s have problems with m.2 ssds? Will this Samsung EVO 850 m.2 work with mine?

purekaoz777 wrote:
Yeah I'm considering getting a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB m.2 for now to see if that will solve the slowness problem. But according to this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW the G752s have problems with m.2 ssds? Will this Samsung EVO 850 m.2 work with mine?

That thread is a different machine, the M2 850 evo will not work in the G752VY, the M2 850 EVO is an M2 SATA.

I can guarantee you the Samsung 950 Pro, SM951 NVMe version M2 drives and 850 pro and 850 evo 2.5" SATA drives all work perfectly in thie G752VY. Im running 2x512GB M2 950 pros in raid 0 with no issues and have a 1TB 850evo in the sata slot.

You will notice a HUGE improvement over a 5400rpm spinner with any of these, especially one that is full.

Im actually a bit surprised they even offer an option for a 5400rpm spinner. Its not even an option in North America region. Just for an example, the two 950 pros in raid 0 are almost 30 times faster than what you posted. with even a single 950 being more than 20 times faster. Heres the results of mine on BIOS 211 both with a single 950 followed by two of them in raid 0.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83061-G752VY-BIOS-211-released-with-AHCI-and-RAID-0&p=5742...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein