cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII hero problem with rog front base

Goat1
Level 7
I was trying to update the firmware for the rog front base panel. During the installation the windows crashed (blue screen). After that the front base went black. It is not recognized neither in the rog extension port nor in the usb. Any thoughts if i can make the front base work again (by forcing the firmware update). I tried the manual update but is says the front base is not connected so i wont start the update.
PC specs
Maximus VIII
intel i7 6700k
16gb ram 2400Mhz Corsair (XMP enabled)
windows 7 64bit professional

Any help will be appreciated!
61 REPLIES 61

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
Try un-installing the Windows driver (I'm guessing your using driver version V1.01.17). Then shut down completely, not restart. Reboot and install the driver and hopefully it will detect your Front Base again. To flash firmware V48 you do not need to connect via USB as instructed in the manual (it's out of date and has not been revised). Instead locate the Firmware update utility contained within the V1.01.17 driver folder and run this with the Front Base still connected to the ROG Ext header. There are two firmware files in the folder and I can't remember which is the correct one to use. It's pretty obvious if you get the wrong one because it will error, in which case repeat but using the alternate file.

I've had nothing but trouble with my Front Base and a M8 Hero Alpha, but thankfully I have it all working now except for the mic and headphone audio quality which is very poor. It's going to be RMA'd to see if a new one works any better. Failing that I'll remove a grounding resistor which is mentioned in another ROG post somewhere on this forum. But that will void the warranty!!

I'm also not impressed that to apply overclock settings it has to reboot the system, whereas on previous boards it didn't need a restart. Unfortunately I left with the feeling that the Front Base is all looks and little function.

Code_Frenzy wrote:
Try un-installing the Windows driver (I'm guessing your using driver version V1.01.17). Then shut down completely, not restart. Reboot and install the driver and hopefully it will detect your Front Base again. To flash firmware V48 you do not need to connect via USB as instructed in the manual (it's out of date and has not been revised). Instead locate the Firmware update utility contained within the V1.01.17 driver folder and run this with the Front Base still connected to the ROG Ext header. There are two firmware files in the folder and I can't remember which is the correct one to use. It's pretty obvious if you get the wrong one because it will error, in which case repeat but using the alternate file.

I've had nothing but trouble with my Front Base and a M8 Hero Alpha, but thankfully I have it all working now except for the mic and headphone audio quality which is very poor. It's going to be RMA'd to see if a new one works any better. Failing that I'll remove a grounding resistor which is mentioned in another ROG post somewhere on this forum. But that will void the warranty!!

I'm also not impressed that to apply overclock settings it has to reboot the system, whereas on previous boards it didn't need a restart. Unfortunately I left with the feeling that the Front Base is all looks and little function.

Worked like a charm!!! The front base is back on and shows correct cpu/temp/fan speed! You were right. There were 2 files inside the update folder. The 2nd on worked.
Thank you very much for your time!!!!

Good evening everyone, I am in possession of the Front Base installed on ROG Motherboard Maximus Hero VIII. Unfortunately I can not make the most of, lights regularly but only shows the fan speed and temperature processor. My problem is that I can not take advantage of what has buttons It no longer appears willing and nothing else. The product I did already change but continues to make me the same problem. I have already installed the 1.1.17 version, made me reboot the pc and I got locked the image of the front according to the latest values that were viewing and the only way to unlock it is to raise the power to the PC, why not he even goes out with his button. Of course I have already installed the FBFW_V47 but nothing. Please help me.ImageImage564575645856459

Quote Originally Posted by Code_Frenzy View Post

Goat1 wrote:
Worked like a charm!!! The front base is back on and shows correct cpu/temp/fan speed! You were right. There were 2 files inside the update folder. The 2nd on worked.
Thank you very much for your time!!!!

Where is this windows driver that was removed to fix the front base that cannot be detected? I am still getting "FB not found".

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
I suggest that you start by removing the power completely from the PC. Turn it off at the wall socket and wait a few seconds. Ensure that the Front base connections are good at both ends. It should be plugged into the ROG Ext header on the motherboard (no need to follow the manual instruction regarding connecting to a USB port!).
Now follow these steps...
> Apply power but do not start the PC just yet. Press and hold the knob on the Front Base. After 5 seconds the top right corner will display the Firmware that is currently installed.
> Hopefully it says V47? If not then you will need to start the PC and load V47 firmware.
> Assuming that V47 is already installed, boot into Windows.
> Locate the Firmware flash utility stored in the driver folder it's in a folder called FBFW and the file name is "ROG FRONT BASE". Run this and select the the second firmware file that is listed (take care to ensure that you are still browsing the correct folder, if you loaded an older firmware previously it will default to this directory!).
> Hopefully this should load to the unit and you should now have a fully functioning Front Base.
> DO NOT REMOVE power completely from the PC otherwise you will need to flash the Front Base with V47 and then back to V48 to get it working again. Very very annoying!!!!!

The above assumes that you still have the Front Base Driver version 1.01.17 installed, which is required. If you want to use the overclocking feature then ROGConnectPlus is also required, but I find this pointless as it forces a PC reboot of Z170 motherboards. Again, very disappointing!

I thank you for having responded to me, I saw how you told me I have the v44 release. I tried to install the v47, but I get the same thing in the second image. How can I do? In my case I had already installed the 01/01/17, you should delete and first install the v47 or I was right to first install the basic program and then groped to put the v47?

If you need I send you the photo of the wiring

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
On this post... http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47735-Problem-with-asus-front-bases-and-maximus-vii-hero-fi... a user had the same error message as you when attempting to update the Firmware and it looks like they were able to fix it so I'm hopeful that yours is also possible to fix.

A couple of things to note, V47 belongs with Front Base Driver version 0.01.15 and V48 belongs with driver version 0.01.17.
From my own experience I have found that a restart does not have the same effect as a full shut-down of Windows. The problem I experience with my own unit is that when power is removed from the PC I lose the lower portion of the display which should show the audio preset. I have to manually flash V47 and then shutdown, check V47 has gone in and restart. After which I re-flash V48 and all is well again.
I know this doesn't help you as you can't get any firmware to flash to the unit.

My best suggestion would be to un-install the Front Base driver and ROG Connect Plus (if you have it installed). Then shut-down completely. Restart and maybe try loading driver version 1.01.15 after which attempt to flash V47. If this works then try the newer driver and firmware. If it still doesn't work try un-installing AI Suite and the Realtek audio driver. But now I'm just clutching for ideas.

The fact the it starts to flash the firmware suggests to me that it is seeing the Front Base Connected but does not like what is being sent down. I guess that the installed Windows driver needs to match the Firmware that is being sent down? Just another guess I'm afraid.

Hello and thank you for the help you are giving me. I installed the version 1.1.11 with the connect plus inside. Fortunately it seems that is taking ahahahah life. However now it shows me the time and the CPU frequency and operates the button I to increase the volume, the icon and to reduce the CPU, but I have not left other music etc etc functions. I tried to install the .17 version but has returned as I had at the beginning, and then refitting the 1.1.11 version went well again but with those missing features. What should I do now?56505

Hello and thank you for the help you are giving me. I installed the version 1.1.11 with the connect plus inside. Fortunately it seems that is taking ahahahah life. However now it shows me the time and the CPU frequency and operates the button I to increase the volume, the icon and to reduce the CPU, but I have not left other music etc etc functions. I tried to install the .17 version but has returned as I had at the beginning, and then refitting the 1.1.11 version went well again but with those missing features. What should I do now?56505