cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimmdrive Software, have anyone try it?

The_Veterant
Level 7
I just want to open this thread to ask everyone or anyone on this community if they have try this program before or currently using it and how it is works, cause I haven't got any luck in using it. I purchased the software the server won't let me authenticate my credential to use the program, I have contact the administrator of the forum and I have got ignore so far.

So I want to know other experience with this program if any. The reason why I'm asking here is cause this program is mainly use for gamers to load partial or complete game to ram. And I want to know anyone's experience to see if I have waste my money. Thanks for the feedback.
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄
9 REPLIES 9

colesdav
Level 7
I was going to try it but I did not try Dimmdrive because I couldn't get an evaluation license and I never buy before I try.

I did try to install ROG RamDisk software, it does install o.k. but it checks to see if you have an ROG motherboard and if not it stops.
It only works if you have an ROG product and not just any ASUS Motherboard.
I contacted ASUS support to ask if I could purchase a general version of ASUS RamDisk. Answer = No.

I can tell you what really does work though. 😛

This is the fastest Ram Disk software I have tested (Using Atto and CrystalDiskMark) to date.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-ramdisk/
You can get an evaluation license.
I am using the RamDisk to run Mozilla Firefox, 3DMARK and some Steam and Origin Games.
I am really happy with it and I am definitely going to purchase when my evaluation license runs out.
I had 32GB Ram with about 16GB not doing much when I wasn't running production tests so I pushed my frequently used apps onto it.

One other notable one is from AMD. They give you a free evaluation copy.

From AMD.
=======
http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php
I like the interface and if you have AMD RAM you get additional RAMDISK capacity.
My measurements on Atto and CrystalDiskMark also showed it was really fast compared to others I tried but
still slower than the Primo Ramdisk.

There is an article here that compares different versions of RamDisk Software that I found very useful. ,
http://www.overclock.net/t/1381131/ramdisks-roundup-and-testing

By the way if you are interested in speeding up your Mechanical Hard Drives using a small flash or dedicated SSD then
PrimoCache is worth a look.

Sorry I couldn't give you the answer you were after but hopefully I pointed you to two good alternatives.

If the Dimmdrive people don't answer your requests for help and don't even offer a few days evaluation license
that says a lot to me. Tell them you have gone on the ROG forum. Ask them for your money back if you get no help.

Did you contact Dimmdrive via Steam? http://steamcommunity.com/app/337070/discussions/
There seem to be many happy customers on the above discussions page ...

Primo RamDisk and AMD offer two really good alternatives.

Bye
Colesdav.

The_Veterant
Level 7
Thanks guy for the kindness to take your time on read my post and answer. I seen a youtube video made by LinuxTec and well explain and detail on this application that their is not benefit from it at all but my fault by not doing or better taking my time doing research before buying, and yes they did solved the problem I had authenticating the software, finally the administrator of the forum which it was't TIM did solved the issue, thanks to him.

In the other hand I do own the program that you mention here by Romex and I have use it, but I guess I don't know how use it well, it's very easy moving the TEMP file creating drives cause you can create more then one drive but the JUNTION section is the one not well documented on the forum. I guess dimmdrive its a lot handy for browser catching video editing and for those apps that are very heavy to start but for gaming their it not a lot or any benefit. TIA Colesdav.

colesdav
Level 7
Hi,

No problem. I like to help if I can.
I think you mean Linus Tech Tips Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAAHuCshnA

Provided you have enough RAM then :
I think there is an advantage to using a RamDisk for gaming if your games are normally installed on a mechanical hard drive and you do not have an SSD.
RamDisk Software is also useful if you are running out of SSD space and want less important things like games stored on a secondary mechanical hard drive.
You may as well store your games in a RamDisk Image file and load the file into RAM as a Disk when you want to run Steam.
You can set the Ram Disk as your main or secondary library folder in Steam.
You can update your games in Steam and then save an Image file after update.

OK so you already own Primo Ramdisk. Great.
I am looking into the Junction Points section of Utilities at the moment.
I have not completely worked out a few aspects of how to use it so when I do I will let you know if I come up with anything especially useful.

Bye for now.
colesdav.

The_Veterant
Level 7
Thanks, do that keep me in touch

Amerifaxx
Level 7
I have spent three days on research. This topic is the best info I have found regarding the RamDrive.
Thanks for being here.
Bob

By now you must have made the jkump. What did you get,

I'm still lopokiong. The following is what I'm trying to find.
I Have an Asus Rampage V Extreme with 64 gig of memory Windows 10 professional.
Here are my questions:
1. Can I have different ways to set up my RAMdisk? I would like to use my single ramdisk in the following three ways.
a. Chrome, Act!, Google and Camtasia programs
b. Chrome, Access, Dragon and Act!
c. Photoshop, Illustrator, Chrome

Note: three profiles all use chrome. Two profiles use Act! So I'm looking to load to my RAMdisk the above for set ups. Also is it better to install the program right to the ram drive. Of course that would not be possible if there was a way for me to load each of the above scenario separately.
Bob

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Amerifaxx
Level 7
Thanks for the response. As my father once told me, nothing is for free. So I'm, kind, of hooked on the pay-as-you-go. But it seems most people out there would rather have it your way. So I'm going to load Softperfect, Primo RamDisk and Super Speed-RamDisdk Plus on separate computers. I will come back here with an evaluation. I have so many issues that I have found no answers for anywhere on the Internet. I want to answer the issues and make the results available for the market.

I remember back in the day when DOS was the only option, Windows not on the scene yet, that allow you to create a RAM disk, based on my recollection. I think most heavy users today have gotten so complacent with the marketplace that they truly believe that the RAMdisk is old tech that should be considered obsolete. It's kinda like using Raid today many people say you don't gain that much with zero Raid. I find you do.

I should mention that I'm not a gamer. I'm a very heavy user of graphic design. I design model homes, subdivision maps and anything relating to the new-home industry in Wisconsin. My computer is a Rampage V Extreme with an Intel X99 chipset, i7-5930K, using the Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2400MHz memory, 64gb of memory. I'm currently building an additional computer a Rampage V Addition 10 which I will be using the fastest Intel processor and Corsair memory.
Bob's

jab383
Level 13
I also use the Softperfect RamDisk. Works great and a little easier to use than ROG's.

I have even managed to install software directly to the RamDisk when it is set up to save to HDD on shutdown and reload on startup. That works with stable hardware, but not always when overclocking because a crash doesn't save the RamDisk.