cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Viii USB / device issues

zepplin1
Level 7
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum and Im hoping I can get some insight into my issue. Could not find anything specific to my issue.

Built a new pc about a month ago and have been having issues ever since. The issue is that randomly hardware will stop communicating with windows. For example, if I go into device manager and scan for new devices, The "Scanning Plug and Play compliant hardware" window will come up, but will remain there. I cannot exit the app, I cant even end the task via the Task manager window. When the issue starts, programs like cpu-z and CPUID HW Monitor will crash on start and will be stuck on my screen even after I end their tasks. Also when this issue starts, unplugging a device, such as a mouse or keyboard, upon plugging back in, the device will not get power from the USB and windows will not recognize any devices connected. Another symptom is that when selecting restart or shut down in windows, the screen will go black after the "shut down" wheel animation, but the pc will not turn off so the only way to get a proper restart is to hold down the power button or press the restart button.

I reinstalled windows 10, 4 times, with no luck whatsoever, which led me to contact ASUS about this, and basically recieved no help whatsoever except to RMA. So I RMA'd and just installed the new motherboard, reinstalled all of the drivers, and same issue and im pretty frustrated. So i belive this to be a driver issue, but I have absolutely not clue what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am updated to 1502 (lastest bios)
and have installed all of the drivers as recommended by ASUS's website.

System:
6600K 4.5 GHZ
16GB RAM @ 3200 (XMP)
2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GTX 970

if you need anything else let me know. Thanks in advance

-Josh
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello zepplin1

Welcome to the ROG forum !

I'm wondering if your ram is on the edge of stability. When you enabled XMP did you raise the vccio and cpu system agent voltages? If not this is likely the problem. Go into the bios on the extreme tweaker tab and take a look at the vccio and cpu system agent voltages, add .02v to both then F10 and Enter to save and exit.

I got my fingers crossed this fixes you up, give us an update after doing this and what the vccio and cpu system agent voltages are set at after raising them .02v.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello zepplin1

Welcome to the ROG forum !

I'm wondering if your ram is on the edge of stability. When you enabled XMP did you raise the vccio and cpu system agent voltages? If not this is likely the problem. Go into the bios on the extreme tweaker tab and take a look at the vccio and cpu system agent voltages, add .02v to both then F10 and Enter to save and exit.

I got my fingers crossed this fixes you up, give us an update after doing this and what the vccio and cpu system agent voltages are set at after raising them .02v.

Thanks for the quick reply, I just used the profile provided so I assumed it would work, guess thats the lack of experience Ocing.

Before the change:

VCCIO = 1.160V "Auto"
System Agent = 1.152 "Auto"

So im not sure if that initial number is the actual voltage or is something else being applied.

I can enter:

VCCIO = 1.18750v (1.180)
System Agent = 1.17500v (1.172)

does that look right?

Nate152
Yes try those and see if it's any better.

Technically any ram speed over 2133MHz is considered overclocked.

If it's not any better raise them a little more up to 1.25v, you shouldn't need anything beyond that.

I still got my fingers crossed, let me know if this helps you. 🙂

brkkab123
Level 7
Did yhttp://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk/ou install the drivers and software from the motherboards dvd ? The only things you should install from the dvd is the Sonic stuff, everything else has been updated. Download the rest from this link. http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk/ Then click on Drivers & Tools and select your version of Windows. Then download and save everything, so you can install them all.
What version of Windows are you using ? If you're using Windows 10 one of last month's patches caused issues with various drivers. They put out a fix for it in yesterdays updates. Run Windows Update and install updates, until none are found. You may have to do this a few times. Ig you're using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, all open the Windows Store and click on the icon at the top that looks like your user account picture and click on Downloads and updates and install any it finds there.
Then proceed to update your video card drivers, printer drivers, etc. Search each company of your devices for new drivers.
P.S. Never unplug your keyboard, mouse or monitor, while Windows is running. Windows won't work without them plugged in. Only unplug external hard drives or flash drives.

brkkab123
Level 7
Also, install the newest uefi update. Disable your antivirus while installing it or any drivers. The easiest way to install uefi, is through AI Suite 3's EZ Update and just point it to the uefi update you downloaded. Then restart your pc when it tells you to and go back in the uefi, select optimized defaults, then enable XMP for your ram and follow the previous instructions for the 2 voltages and press F10 to save your changes and go into Windows. Once in Windows, re-enable your antivirus and see if your pc runs better and post back here.

I'm having USB issues too. It won't recognize new devices like my phone or usb microphone. Really frustrating. I've updated bios and all other things.

Digitalsoju wrote:
I'm having USB issues too. It won't recognize new devices like my phone or usb microphone. Really frustrating. I've updated bios and all other things.

If you have any of the ASUS programs installed, try uninstalling them for now. Also check inside the BIOS to make sure the USB controller is enabled.

Okay so PC was running fine after the .2 change but happened again today gonna try the 1.25V. Couldn't even uninstal the AI suite

Edit:
AI suite is now stuck telling me that i need to restart in order to finish installation. I cannot run it to repair, cannot run uninstaller. Also had the same issue when updating an nvidia driver, install wouldnt finish and had to hard restart my pc. I cant find anything on the internet regarding this issue. It must be something simple, so frustrating.

Chino wrote:
If you have any of the ASUS programs installed, try uninstalling them for now. Also check inside the BIOS to make sure the USB controller is enabled.

I don't think the problem is with the USB controller. It will recognize the device (sound plays each time a usb device is inserted or removed), but then it won't properly configure it.
The strange thing is the first time I installed everything, I didn't have this major issues. It recognized my phone, it recognized my usb mic. I thought initially it might have been a problem with my mic, but it works on my laptop which has windows 10 and also on my friend's mac.

Then I bought a new graphics card (geforce gtx 970) so I did a fresh install of windows and upgraded to the latest drivers and software. Now it won't recognize my mic
and it had trouble recognizing my phone. They come up under device manager, but they just don't get configured properly. I've tried to reinstall the drivers so many times.

I've tried to roll back on drivers, tried to uninstall asus software, tried to do another reformat, nothing has worked. This is by far the buggiest motherboard i've ever purchased.
At least the front headphone jack works now ...