CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

If you have access to another psu, you could try it.

ROG Member Array

Sadly I don't.

I did contact Asus in the meantime to see if they have anything specific to say.

At least the good side in the now frequent freezes is that hopefully it will trigger should I send it to the repair shop again, which would allow them to properly test it out.
    Though there is a chance they will tell me to wait for BIOS updates instead.

Well, if there is not much else you can say, I do thank you for your time; I will report if I manage to fix this.

Go with Skylake I thought, you'll have all the parts you need for future upgrades I thought lol

ROG Member Array

Small update.

I decided to try and run live Linux from a USB, so I unplugged my HDD and was on linux today.

Normally, the freeze happens under 8 hours, been running my pc for 13 today, nothing happened which could mean it's either the HDD after all, or it is tied to Windows.

I did use windows 7, upgraded to 10, did clean install of 10, but same issue, which makes me believe it could be the HDD, will try to simply plug in the HDD while running live, then if nothing happens. try to install linux onto my HDD.

I did check the HDD for errors and such so not sure what the problem could be, could be something that's present in windows like HDD sleep, maybe paging files, could be the cables.
    Oh well, guess I'll stick to the plan mentioned and see what happens.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array maf23's Avatar

I would save your files and try an new hard drive with a fresh install. Win 10 iso's are easy to obtain. Could be a memory leak. Anything in Event Viewer, immediately preceding the freeze?

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Yes it could be something windows related or possibly a loose connection, keep us updated running 13 hours is better than 8.

Maybe run on Linux for a day or two then try windows.

ROG Member Array

@Maf23: I need to get a new HDD, that's the hard part (I might be able to buy a used one though)
    Sadly no, event viewer has nothing out of the ordinary, usually nothing until 2 hours before the freeze which is related to some other stuff, although I mostly just check the adminstrator view.

A memory leak could be it, but I specifically didn't install anything other then Firefox and the antivirus (avast) after doing a clean win10 install so not sure where the leak could be (I DID however leave one small partition I used on win7 non formated, it's where I kept my documents)

@Natel: Aye, gonna push the limits :P
    Installing new things that aren't present by default in linux is a nightmare to me but I'll manage lol

Will try to install on my HDD just to see if it freezes (removing GRUB might pose a challenge though), but might try to simply plug it in and use the files on it via live linux first as said.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array maf23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Otakon7 View Post
    In case you haven't seen this, it does seem to be tied to this:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-crashing.html
    Check update. was a RAM timing/voltage issue.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by maf23 View Post
    Check update. was a RAM timing/voltage issue.
    I did, but it doesn't really help much to know that, I did try changing the values, but nothing helped.

EDIT: on a side note, decided to run sfc again, and this time it found some things.
    It seems to be unable to fix opencl.dll, which seems to be a common issue with windows update giving corrupt files. It could be related, but given a lot of people have this (most don't even know they do), probably not.
    Last edited by Otakon7; 03-16-2016 at 01:44 PM.

ROG Member Array

Well, another small update.

Had some issues booting linux today so I went back to windows just to check some things out.

A new version of the intel graphics driver came out, and it seems that now my color screen freeze has been replaced by a "standard" stretched sound and slow freeze, which appears to be what others have been having. I was also able to immediately boot my Pc after a hard shutdown.
    This could be just luck, but at the very least, it seems I am now rid of the worst part of my problem. Hopefully the next windows update doesn't mess it up.

Even my reset button worked, though for some reason it sent my PC to sleep.

Worth noting I did a repair on the opencl.dll via DISM before updating, read previous post for details.

P.S. should I just merge, aka edit my previous post for new info if it's close to top topic, or can I make a new reply?
    I made a new one this time since it seemed relevant enough to inform people.

ROG Member Array

Well, update.

It's been two weeks since the last freeze, and while I cannot say it won't happen again, it seems promising.

So what I did:
    (0. Latest BIOS)
    1. I removed the GPU drivers, then installed the latest one (beta at the time)
    2. I disabled C states in the BIOS
    3. Microsoft released a small update (apparently, it was some form of a service pack)

So, it was 1. combined with 2. or 3. (maybe both) that helped. If the freeze returns, will report.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast