cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501 / G701 / G702 / G703 / G750 / G751 / G752 / G771 and other Series Useful Threads

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Feel free to reply directly in the threads below. Thanks.

G501JW

G701

G702ZC

G703

G750 Series Useful Threads

Some G751 Series Useful Threads

Check p3 for Bios Failure Recovery

Keyboard / Buttons:

Some G752 Series Useful Threads

GL752VW

G771JW
5 REPLIES 5

Gps3dx
Level 12
Suggested Usefull Threads Guides & links
** DISCLUSURE: I'm NOT an Asus employee NOR certified by ASUS **
** The following links & threads are my own private suggestions gathered after few years of use with G51JW, G55VW, G751JT **

ROG Series specific ( Mostly G751 )

Universal (right for ANY laptop)

G55/G75 Series specific - although original wrote for older ROG laptops, most info still apply even for the G751!
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Hi,

According to Asus the HDD in my G752VS can be upgraded for sure from 1 to 2TB, they say they tested this with a 5400rmp disc. They can't say if a bigger one will work.

Now, i would like to replace the current 7200 rpm 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (9,5 mm thick, 2,5 inch) with a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD/hybrid (7 mm thick). But bit worried: will it work? I would like to use a bigger one, up to 5TB, but didn't find one that will fit, at 7200 rpm. And Asus didn't test beyond 2TB.

On top of that, Asus adviced to upgrade the BIOS, tru Windows, but i'm not sure about that. Current BIOS version is .306. I don't want to mess my machine up with a possible fail BIOS upgrade.

As for the SSD, there is still a free slot next to the 256GB Toshiba PCIe SSD. In future i may want to put a big capacity SSD in there. Asus said they tested only with 256GB and 512GB and they can't say for sure a bigger one will work.

I hope there is somebody out here who has some experience with HDD and SSD upgrades in a G752. I'm not planning to upgrade the BIOS, I don't think (hope) is necessary. I welcome any views and advice. Thank you.

ErikD wrote:
Hi,

According to Asus the HDD in my G752VS can be upgraded for sure from 1 to 2TB, they say they tested this with a 5400rmp disc. They can't say if a bigger one will work.

Now, i would like to replace the current 7200 rpm 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (9,5 mm thick, 2,5 inch) with a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD/hybrid (7 mm thick). But bit worried: will it work? I would like to use a bigger one, up to 5TB, but didn't find one that will fit, at 7200 rpm. And Asus didn't test beyond 2TB.

On top of that, Asus adviced to upgrade the BIOS, tru Windows, but i'm not sure about that. Current BIOS version is .306. I don't want to mess my machine up with a possible fail BIOS upgrade.

As for the SSD, there is still a free slot next to the 256GB Toshiba PCIe SSD. In future i may want to put a big capacity SSD in there. Asus said they tested only with 256GB and 512GB and they can't say for sure a bigger one will work.

I hope there is somebody out here who has some experience with HDD and SSD upgrades in a G752. I'm not planning to upgrade the BIOS, I don't think (hope) is necessary. I welcome any views and advice. Thank you.

Hi

according to my experience, ur laptop will run any 2.5" 7mm hdd u throw at it whether it is a 2tb hdd or 4tb (if launched in the future)
I have a G750JHA and i am currently running two 2tb hdds and a 256gb m.2 ssd on it. normally most laptops can support 2tb hdds without any bios upgrade. I have ran two 2tb hdds and a 512gb SATA HDD on a dell studio 1737 which is a core 2 duo laptop. so just imagine how well these laptops can support max capacities hdds.

Hope i helped
Thanks

navis995
Level 11
maybe you could add my fix for the keyboard backlight that is almost a universal fix for all asus laptops
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

waltersd
Level 7
My G750JZ has started to take 3 to 5 minutes (or more) to boot up. It has the fast boot enabled in the bios. It will stick at the ROC screen with the wait prompt spinning. I see hard drive activity for the first few seconds and then nothing for quite a long time. I have booted into the command prompt and run chkdsk on all the drives, and no issues are found. I did notice that the drive letters seem screwed up, like the boot setting are getting screwed up. When I've booted into the command prompt, the drive letters are as follows:
c: and 😧 are what would be 😧 and E: normally when windows is running normally, and E: is the normal C: drive.

The machine is still running Windows 8.1.

The machine appears to run OK once it is booted. It will occasionally get a system crash after running for a long time.