cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many times did you RMA before you received a proper PG279Q?

Scarto
Level 7
So this is ridiculous, to begin with. You have to pray that your nearly £700 monitor will come with small amounts of BLB (which should not be present at all). I've returned my first PG279Q (3x white and 1x black dead pixels + BLB) and received a replacement with even more defects (few dead pixels + unacceptable amount of BLB). Obviously I'm going to send it back as well. I'm wondering, how many monitors did you guys have to RMA before receiving a decent one? Or is it better to simply buy Acer instead?
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Jeepers! That don't make sense...they can't send you worse than you sent them.....:confused:

Well they did but....

Hope that gets sorted double quick!:(

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Jeepers! That don't make sense...they can't send you worse than you sent them.....:confused:

Well they did but....

Hope that gets sorted double quick!:(

I've ordered at Scan UK, and they did everything well on their side. Tested my faulty monitor and sent brand new one to me. They did not open the box in order to test a replacement before shipping as this is Asus QC's job. We all know their commitment to it, so stores end up receiving loads of RMA requests. It's a lottery of which I'm sick already. This time I've asked for refund instead so might just go for Acer.

JronMasteR
Level 9
Bought my first one back in December... I was lucky and got a good one.
Got a second one back in Feb. Already got the 4th!!! And the 4th one is the worst in terms of BLB.
This is totally ridiculous... Stay away form this monitor, get something else.
I mean, we are talking about a 800$ Monitor here and they can't get the quality right.
Through how many returns does one have to go to get what you paid for?

Those stories about 4-5 replacements really scare me off. Today I returned my 2nd PG279Q. I'd love to give up on this model, however few things stop me from doing that. At first, the only competitor (IPS, 27inch, 100+ Hz, 2560x1440) is using exactly the same faulty panels. Secondly, I love the design of ROG and find Acer Predator's design cheesy. Finally, I was amazed by performance of this monitor so if it wasn't for BLB I'd be more than happy to use it for long years. As I feel sorry for asking my retailer for 3rd one, I'm going to ask for refund and order another 1-2 of these from Amazon. But if the 4th one comes with nasty BLB I'm simply going back to my old FLAWLESS 60Hz IPS iiyama and wait for competitors' moves.

Scarto wrote:
Those stories about 4-5 replacements really scare me off. Today I returned my 2nd PG279Q. I'd love to give up on this model, however few things stop me from doing that. At first, the only competitor (IPS, 27inch, 100+ Hz, 2560x1440) is using exactly the same faulty panels. Secondly, I love the design of ROG and find Acer Predator's design cheesy. Finally, I was amazed by performance of this monitor so if it wasn't for BLB I'd be more than happy to use it for long years. As I feel sorry for asking my retailer for 3rd one, I'm going to ask for refund and order another 1-2 of these from Amazon. But if the 4th one comes with nasty BLB I'm simply going back to my old FLAWLESS 60Hz IPS iiyama and wait for competitors' moves.

Your best off not buying either of the ACER or ASUS of this panel. They all have the same issues. inconsistency with BLB (almost all monitor have way more than any other IPS out there), Dead Pixels (more than normal), and all 4 of the monitors I got had inconsistant coloring. On a white screen there was a severe change in tint across the monitor. the bottom was perfect flawless white and the stop half was piss yellow tint. all four were the same expect one had a complete yellow tint on the ENTIRE monitor and it was more tinted at the top. I did 3 of the ASUS and one ACER.....in my opinion the ASUS build is waaaaayyy nicer than ACER and the OSD is way better. Do not buy the ACER as It had the same exact issues as the ASUS. I decided to just buy the 1080p ASUS TN 24" panel and used my bestbuygift card on it so it was basically free. I expect this one will be fine as its been a budget gaming standard for a while. When there is a panel that doesn't have these issues I'll switch back over to it.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Janne-71
Level 7
Nothing wrong with coloring on my monitor, it is fine otherwise except that blb on one corner with dark empty backgrounds...and lowering brightness to sensible levels (35 in my case)...it doesn't really bother me at all. I recently read and article stating blb seems to be more like standard on ips monitors so i don't think changing it would make it any better. You can pretty much expect blb in new 34 inch ultrawide too.

JronMasteR
Level 9
BLB is not at all normal for IPS monitors. I have had 4 different IPS monitors so far and non of them had BLB.
Your unit has very slight BLB (saw you pictures) and that is what I consider acceptable/tolerable.
But most of the other units shown in this forum are horrible. BLB is a defect that is the result of a poor assembling process or just poor panels.
People should definitely not accept this nor should they consider this as "normal". Especially not for an 800$ premium monitor.
For example, the Eizo Foris 144hz monitor uses a similar panel (same manufacturer) but is not plagued by these issues, because EIZO cares about quality control.