cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new MAximus iv extreme-z board problems please help

egreir
Level 7
Just put a the board in and im having a weird problem. I have two evga 580gtx superclocked gpus. I cannot get the video to display either single or in sli. I can hear my system boot up into windows just no video signal.

I did finally find out if i put one in the pci slot 1 and one in the 3rd and then hook my dvi cable to the 3rd i could get video. My bios only picks up the one in the 3rd slot. So for the life of me i cannot understand why i must place a card in slot one that isnt even recognized to get the other gpu to work. Ive switched them around either car in same setup same situation. Ive tryed them in 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 1 and 2, 2 and 3 pci slots etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. I apologize ahead of time if this post isn't punctuated or grammatically correct ive been up for about 30 hours now trying to fix this problem but to no avail.
5 REPLIES 5

Jerm
Level 7
I know this sounds silly, but have you double-checked to make sure none of the switches that allow you to turn those PCI lanes on/off have been switched to off? That's a feature I've never had on other boards and might be the issue. I built 2 systems recently, mine just has a single GTX 580 in slot #2 but the other had a GTX 560Ti in Slot 1 and Slot 3...no issues with display on either one, yet.
Hopefully it's something that's just been overlooked or got bumped. I'd toggle of the switches to make sure none are the culprit.
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
(5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
Evga GeForce GTX 580
Ultra X4 1600W PSU
Lite On BD Burner
ASUS CD/DVDRW
Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

I checked all the switches sadly it wasn't ant of them .weird thing is it won't boot period with one card at all in any slot. Onl when one cardd is in slot 1 and the other in 3. Even then it onlY picks up slot 3

managed to finally get them both to be picked up in lanes 1 and 3 but only yhing is its making my card in 1 run at 4x and card is 3 x8 when both should be at x8. should i go buy a wireless nic or sound card to put in 1 and put the cards in 2 and 4 to get them to run at 8?

Dual Sli is meant to be on 1 & 3 doing what you mentioned will not result in any greater performance as the 200 chip is meant for 3 way sli and will cause lag with 2 way sli. This has been tested i think on toms hardware and was show to be of no benefit.

egreir wrote:
managed to finally get them both to be picked up in lanes 1 and 3 but only yhing is its making my card in 1 run at 4x and card is 3 x8 when both should be at x8. should i go buy a wireless nic or sound card to put in 1 and put the cards in 2 and 4 to get them to run at 8?
"Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither"
Ben Franklin

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Intel I7-2700K OC to 4.7 @ 1.330 volts
2X EVGA 660TI SLI
G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Raid 0. 1 500gb WD VelociRaptor
Antec Gamers edition Bronze rated PSU 750 Watts
Corsair H80 Closed loop CPU cooler
Dragon Test Bench Case

digmeahole wrote:
Dual Sli is meant to be on 1 & 3 doing what you mentioned will not result in any greater performance as the 200 chip is meant for 3 way sli and will cause lag with 2 way sli. This has been tested i think on toms hardware and was show to be of no benefit.

That..

also try to remove cpu and ram then turn on push clear Cmos button put it all back again and try over. sometimes it helps.

Are you getting any error code ?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory!