cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Asus fix problem with sound blaster?

magma82
Level 7
After about three months I haven't a ASUS response about the problem with the Sound Blaster and the problem of the failure to restart / shutdown pc .
I was only told that they are waiting to perform an upgrade of the bios of which are still pending .
sorry for my English.
21 REPLIES 21

blacklotus83
Level 7
Hi, yesterday I tested with a Sound Blaster ZxR on my M8 Hero and after 1.5h of gaming the pc did not switch off, so same problem like with Sound Blaster Z. It is definitely solved when I switch to an Asus Strix Raid DLX, but there I have bad interference (with SB Z or ZxR I have ZERO interference noise) so the Strix is not an option.

This is a really bad error with the new Asus Z170 Boards and they just tell you they can not reproduce the error. However I think they just tested very short runtimes. If i play Heroes of the Storm for 1 hour, the pc shuts down fine, if I play for two hours i got the error every single time!

Im still on Bios 1302, did anyone test already with the new 1504?

blacklotus83 wrote:
Hi, yesterday I tested with a Sound Blaster ZxR on my M8 Hero and after 1.5h of gaming the pc did not switch off, so same problem like with Sound Blaster Z. It is definitely solved when I switch to an Asus Strix Raid DLX, but there I have bad interference (with SB Z or ZxR I have ZERO interference noise) so the Strix is not an option.

This is a really bad error with the new Asus Z170 Boards and they just tell you they can not reproduce the error. However I think they just tested very short runtimes. If i play Heroes of the Storm for 1 hour, the pc shuts down fine, if I play for two hours i got the error every single time!

Im still on Bios 1302, did anyone test already with the new 1504?

i'm on 1504 but problem not solved

What slot are people using ?

TheRiwen wrote:
What slot are people using ?

It does not matter, same behavior with last 3 slots

AmirShred
Level 8
I googled this issue and only see a couple reports. Issues like this tend to be with the peripheral especially if others can't reproduce. Also, if extended gaming induces the shutdown issue but shorter gaming doesn't, it sounds like the card isn't allowing a shutdown OK signal/program termination. I am not sure how ASUS could modify hardware or software design on the sound blaster side via a BIOS update. I use a xonar card and have no issues like this... mght make it simple and switch brands.

AmirShred wrote:
I googled this issue and only see a couple reports. Issues like this tend to be with the peripheral especially if others can't reproduce. Also, if extended gaming induces the shutdown issue but shorter gaming doesn't, it sounds like the card isn't allowing a shutdown OK signal/program termination. I am not sure how ASUS could modify hardware or software design on the sound blaster side via a BIOS update. I use a xonar card and have no issues like this... mght make it simple and switch brands.

Yes but the exact same card worked 2 years without any problems in my former Maximus IV Gene-Z (Z68), so it definitely has to do with the new M8 Mainboard.

magma82
Level 7
the problem is only with z170 chipset, they know the problem but atm not solved it

pills
Level 7
Hero viii with SB-Z and Win10 here, never had a single issue with shutdowns. Using bottom X1 slot and 1402/1504 bios.

Random shot in the dark but I wonder if an open SB stream is causing shutdown hangups as it can with sleep/hibernation. Run CMD as admin and type "powercfg -requests" without quotes, does one of the results say [DRIVER] Sound Blaster... An audio stream is currently in use."? If so try entering the below verbatim with quotes and all to override SB from mucking things up.

powercfg -requestsoverride "DRIVER" "Sound Blaster Z" "System"

I do this everytime I clean install windows so my PC will actually go into sleep mode on its own, I reckon the above would work for any Z series card. If you type powercfg -requests again the SB part shouldn't reflect anymore, and if you type powercfg -requestsoverride it should then confirm you've added SB to be ignored. No idea if this will fix it but seeing how shutdown/sleep are kinda related it's worth a shot.
I5-6600k @ 4.7Ghz @1.385v | Corsair H100i cooler | Asus Hero viii | 16gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000 CL15 | EVGA 980ti SC 6GB | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO

pills wrote:
Hero viii with SB-Z and Win10 here, never had a single issue with shutdowns. Using bottom X1 slot and 1402/1504 bios.

Random shot in the dark but I wonder if an open SB stream is causing shutdown hangups as it can with sleep/hibernation. Run CMD as admin and type "powercfg -requests" without quotes, does one of the results say [DRIVER] Sound Blaster... An audio stream is currently in use."? If so try entering the below verbatim with quotes and all to override SB from mucking things up.

powercfg -requestsoverride "DRIVER" "Sound Blaster Z" "System"

I do this everytime I clean install windows so my PC will actually go into sleep mode on its own, I reckon the above would work for any Z series card. If you type powercfg -requests again the SB part shouldn't reflect anymore, and if you type powercfg -requestsoverride it should then confirm you've added SB to be ignored. No idea if this will fix it but seeing how shutdown/sleep are kinda related it's worth a shot.

Thank you for the hint, I will check this after my next gaming session!