Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

tie fighter PC

Hey guys, here is another update for you all, I got the ball nice and smooth and I also found some sort of mushroom vent thing that I took apart to use in the build. I am not 100% sure if i will be using it but it is all part of the progress so I will show it to you guys =) I have since used some acrylic and it has worked much better so there is another spot i am thinking of using this part in =).

Just found this for really cheap at the local hardware store, thought it might make a good lip to build the window off of.

Time to shred this vent into what we need. Firstly I had to remove a few rivets holding it together

next a bit of jigsaw work to remove the bottom half.

After drilling a hole to get the jigsaw blade in, we cut the centre piece out as well

next comes the cleaning up part, a bit of file work

Some use of the grinding stone to remove any rough edges

And lastly the sanding wheel to polish it all off nice and smooth.

As I said before, I will be using this piece somewhere else now but its all apart of the progress so I wanted to show you all =)

progress 2 video

Here is progress 2 video of our TIE fighter advanced PC.

More progress soon.

Small update today, I joined two quarters together to create half of the TIE Fighter sphere.

I just used some of the left over bog that i had

I made sure i got the bog right in the gap inside and out for maximum strength

And here is always the fun part, sanding as always

I need to add a bit more bog to the sides to round it up a bit more but here is what it looks like now

Hey guys, welcome back. Over the weekend I was able to get a lot of work done. I started working on the frame work that comes off the sides of the ball and holds the wings in place. The frame will be made from Aluminium channels and welded together because we have access to aluminium welding. This will keep it light. We spent many man hours cutting these channels however i will keep it nice and short and just show you a few.

I decided to get my artistic side on today and draw up a diagram with the to scale measurements from my 3d render.

Using a pen/pencil i measured out my cutting positions.

Loads of hours spend cutting frame work, no need for gym for a while.

a bit of file work and using the dremel sanding disk to clean those edges right up.

I also cut out some tabs so that the aluminium channels can slide right into each other for an easy weld.

And here is where the wings are at so far. Next I will add some width to these sections to bring it some shape.

Progress three video update, I hope you guys enjoy =)

Hey guys, time for some more progress, today I started some cut outs for the top and bottom of the ball.

Taking measurements before I start the cuts. I want to make sure it is centred correctly.

A nice guide line to follow always helps when cutting

Using the jigsaw to cut this section of the ball out.

That is one quarter done, 3 more to go.

and here is the final result

More progress shortly =)

Joined the last two quarters of the ball together and made use of the new top and bottom cut outs.

With the top and bottom cut outs complete in the ball it gives me more room to fit the delta sander in there to give it a nice sand back.

I also took the time to start sanding out the window

While i have the sanding equipment out i used my orbital sander to sand the join down until smooth.

And lastly, a bit of filler in the small holes around the ball to make a smooth surface.

Hey guys, got some more progress complete on the frame work of the sections coming off the sides of the ball. Added a few channels to try to create some shape and add some more strength to the build.

Here is where we left off from last time, we got the general shape but now i want to add a bit of width and further complete the required shape

So back to cutting up some aluminium channels

The channel is pretty hot after cutting with the hand saw and dremel so i used a few tools to remove these tabs

Lots of file and dremel work to get the channels nice and smooth

simply slides in like so

the side pieces are thinner so they simply slide into place as well

and that is the frame work for the side pieces complete.

More updates soon.

Here is progress 4 video guys, i hope you enjoy.

Back with another update guys, lots of cutting involved, today I am showing you guys the back section frame work of the TIE Fighter Advanced PC.

Of course starting off by measuring my cuts to scale from my 3D render.

and after a lot of cutting and file work

we are left with a hole lot of channels to weld together.

I cut out a few tabs so that the channels just slot into place for a cleaner look.

and so now we start applying some tape to hold it in place for the mean time.

and here is the final result of the back section.

More progress shortly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast