cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW - CPU fan speed and temperatures

Hazork
Level 7
I just downgraded my GL552VW laptop with Windows 8.1 to Windows 7, and so far I have had these problems:

- Temperatures in general get much hotter than in Windows 8.1, where at idle it could vary from 45-50ºC, now with Windows 7, it gets to 50-65ºC with the same energy configuration (but it doesn't go up when gaming, strangely...). I can only lower the temperatures by setting the maximum processor state (100%) to 5% with both AC and battery.

- The fan start running at full speed after using a 3D application and I can only turn it off by turning off the system, however in this state it can lower the temperature -20ºC.

- F11 and F12 can't control headphones volume.

So, is there a way to fix this or its normal because Windows 7 limitations?

Also, how can I configure optimal temperatures and fan speed for each game/application?
6 REPLIES 6

maf23
Level 7
Try version 1157 of the Intel MEI driver.

maf23 wrote:
Try version 1157 of the Intel MEI driver.

This one?

https://driverscollection.com/_47810362974c6626ccab57a374d/Download-HP-14-ac134la-Intel-Management-E...

Already installed it, what I do now?

Mine was in the eSupport folder on C: drive:
Win7_32_Win7_64_Win8_32_Win8_64_Win81_32_Win81_64_Win10_32_Win10_64_11.0.0.1157

With Windows 10 the 1159 version should be fine, but with Windows 7, I had the fan stuck at 100% until shutdown problem. Have not had the issue with the 1157 driver.

Check Device Manager and under System Devices, Intel Management Engine Interface to see what version is installed.

Try This:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/MEI-Win7-81-10_V11001157_Corporate.zip

maf23 wrote:
Mine was in the eSupport folder on C: drive:
Win7_32_Win7_64_Win8_32_Win8_64_Win81_32_Win81_64_Win10_32_Win10_64_11.0.0.1157

With Windows 10 the 1159 version should be fine, but with Windows 7, I had the fan stuck at 100% until shutdown problem. Have not had the issue with the 1157 driver.

Check Device Manager and under System Devices, Intel Management Engine Interface to see what version is installed.

Try This:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/MEI-Win7-81-10_V11001157_Corporate.zip

Alright, It installs the 11.0.0.1158 version, but it didn't work.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Windows 7 doesn't utilize core state promotion/demotion as efficiently as Win 8/10 does. Also, Windows 7 isn't natively supported for the GL552VW, so your system drivers aren't fully supported either.

You say temps don't increase when gaming when using Windows 7, you probably have some parked cores which does affect the package TDP and ultimately, temps. Changing the CPU power state percentage does lower temperatures since your cores aren't going into Turbo Boost state anymore (P0).

FAN control will be limited for optimal temperatures since the GL552 is a single fan design. However, there is a program like NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) and with a custom profile (do some research to make your own if you want or if needed) you could have your fan speed running lower or higher based on defined temperature values, but that's it. Now with GPU temperature control (with any OC utility installed) you can adjust (modified VBIOS for it to be functional) the max temp target and it would throttle the core clock and voltage accordingly until it's under the defined max temp target value, rinse and repeat (this will affect fps due to P-State demotion).

As far as F11 and F12 not working for volume, make sure you have the ATK package installed from the ASUS support page for your model.

I listed a couple links below which is for Windows 8.1/10 drivers for the GL552JX (try for your VW under Win 7) and the GL552VW drivers link just for reference.

ASUS GL552JX Drivers

ASUS GL552VW Drivers

Dreamonic wrote:
Windows 7 doesn't utilize core state promotion/demotion as efficiently as Win 8/10 does. Also, Windows 7 isn't natively supported for the GL552VW, so your system drivers aren't fully supported either.

You say temps don't increase when gaming when using Windows 7, you probably have some parked cores which does affect the package TDP and ultimately, temps. Changing the CPU power state percentage does lower temperatures since your cores aren't going into Turbo Boost state anymore (P0).

FAN control will be limited for optimal temperatures since the GL552 is a single fan design. However, there is a program like NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) and with a custom profile (do some research to make your own if you want or if needed) you could have your fan speed running lower or higher based on defined temperature values, but that's it. Now with GPU temperature control (with any OC utility installed) you can adjust (modified VBIOS for it to be functional) the max temp target and it would throttle the core clock and voltage accordingly until it's under the defined max temp target value, rinse and repeat (this will affect fps due to P-State demotion).

As far as F11 and F12 not working for volume, make sure you have the ATK package installed from the ASUS support page for your model.

I listed a couple links below which is for Windows 8.1/10 drivers for the GL552JX (try for your VW under Win 7) and the GL552VW drivers link just for reference.

ASUS GL552JX Drivers

ASUS GL552VW Drivers

Thanks, I guess I will just go back to Windows 8.1