cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z Freezes on boot, Q-Code 06

Nixoon
Level 7
Hi,

About half the time I turn on my PC it will not make it past the initial ROG splash screen. When this happens I can't even access the BIOS, it completely freezes. Upon restarting after this occurs sometimes the message "Updating iROG firmware now. DO NOT reboot or turn off computer." appears and restarts.

When the freeze occurs the Q-Code 06 appears on the motherboard. According to the manual this is to do with "Microcode loading". I don't know what that is so I don't any idea how to approach fixing this. I've updated to the latest BIOS but that hasn't helped.

This problem happens regardless of anything being overclocked or not. Also, there isn't any change I've made to my PC I can think of that would cause this.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this it would be much appreciated.

CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
RAM: 8GB 1866MHz
GPU: 2 x GTX 670
SSD: 512GB Crucial MX100
HDD: 2TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000
4 REPLIES 4

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Nixoon
Microcode Loading would indicate a Bios issue or faulty device, so what method did you use to update Bios?

Try and Re-flash your Bios using a USB stick thru the ROG connect port on the IO panel and with latest Bios 2101, (if not already done so).
Disconnect all other none essential USB devices during flashback.
If you then can enter Bios, add back peripherals.

Please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I updated the Bios the first time I used the ROG connect port. However, I didn't have all usb devices disconnected so I will try again as soon as possible and report back.

Since flashing the Bios again it hasn't frozen while booting yet so that may have solved the problem. However, since it crashed at random times it may by chance not have occurred yet. I will see what happens over the next few days and post back here on what happens.

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Nixoon
Microcode Loading would indicate a Bios issue or faulty device, so what method did you use to update Bios?

Try and Re-flash your Bios using a USB stick thru the ROG connect port on the IO panel and with latest Bios 2101, (if not already done so).
Disconnect all other none essential USB devices during flashback.
If you then can enter Bios, add back peripherals.

Please report back.

I have to give a big thanks to MeanMachine for this advice. Following the books instructions of putting the CD ROM that came with the motherboard did nothing. However using a flash drive (USB stick) cleared the issue.

What caused this issue in the first place is a bit baffling. Hopefully it was just a hiccup, time will tell.