cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil/capacity squealing/buzzing coming from CPU area on motherboard

Vinny1001
Level 9
Hi,

Since my build I haven't gamed a whole lot as I am very busy, but recently I played some games that went over 144 FPS and anytime it went over 144 FPS, I'd get a squealing buzzing noise coming from the CPU area on the motherboard.

Before, I thought it may have been the GPU (Gigabyte 980 TI G1) as I only heard it faintly before, but I plopped in my prevois builds GPU that never had that issue (Asus 680 gtx) and I still got the noise. The noise also comes right around the CPU area, not the GPU. There's a clear difference. Sound doesn't come frmo the PSU. I also used my previous builds PSU that never had any issues, and I still heard the squealing around the CPU area. I have reseated multiple times to see if that'd make a difference, but it doesn't. I checked ALL fans. I would stop them and squealing is still present. GPU fans stay off until a higher temp, and squealing is there before the fans even turn on.

Squealing only happens when games give FPS over about 144. Running 3Dmax, ice storm or whatever, I get well over 2K FPS and the squealing gets so loud and fast like a million pigs going at it in the CPU area. This never happened on the Z170 MSI board I tried, as well as the Gigabyte Gaming 7 board. I do recall being in the Arma3 menu (300+ FPS) and a slight buzzing noise was there, but I thought it was just the system, but over-time I inspected closer and picked up what I've mentioned. It's very loud and obnoxious. I saw another thread on this noise issue too.

Clearly something is up with the Asus Hero Alpha board I am using. It's far out of the replacement policy from Newegg, so now what? Am I stuck with a pig squealing board? I really despise Asus RMA as they provide used parts, and sometimes other customers parts that came in faulty, and send those out. I've been swapping boards and replacements since October 2015, and Asus has been mostly liars and trouble to me, except a few who have reached out for minor attempts to help. I really think spending $300 on a board that has pig squealing under normal load for games, should be replaced properly and not replaced with another faulty or used board.

Can anything be done about this? How can I isolate a capacitor if it's a specific one? Toilet paper role? What else?

Thanks!
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.
7 REPLIES 7

ondersma80
Level 7
Hey Vinny,

Reading over some of your previous posts my advice is that you swap the board. I googled this any only found one other report of something close to this and personally don't experience anything like this with mine. ASUS does offer advanced replacement (APS) on the M8H-A so I would just swap it. From personal experience, noises like this are always related to the PSU is some way. If the noise is definitely coming from the socket area it is likely the board, but the noise may just be a manifestation of the problem. The cause may actually be the CPU or PSU. This occurring only at high frame rates means the CPU is a factor since the PCIe controller is on the CPU, not the board. Anyway, start with the board. If the noise continues move on the CPU and PSU. Good luck!

Vinny1001
Level 9
I'm not sure. The other brands didn't give me these issues that I am getting on this board, but those 2 boards gave me other issues, so it's just all so odd. And I've swapped all components to make sure those weren't causing any issues. never had an BSODs either.

Currently I am speaking with Nestor from Asus and he's been a huge help. I will update further once new information is up.

ondersma80, I've replaced my CPU 3 times, PSU twice, and even used my previous builds PSU that has 0 issues. lol. 😞

We'll see. Stay tuned!
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

AmirShred
Level 8
I had some noise from the CPU area. I know 100% it came from the CPU area because I took out my gfx card and tested with just iGPU. I replaced my new titanium PSU with my old corsair gold rated and it went away. It didn't like my new PSU. I was told squeels are more common with newer ultra high efficiency psus.

AmirShred wrote:
I had some noise from the CPU area. I know 100% it came from the CPU area because I took out my gfx card and tested with just iGPU. I replaced my new titanium PSU with my old corsair gold rated and it went away. It didn't like my new PSU. I was told squeels are more common with newer ultra high efficiency psus.

Ok, good to know that another had the similar issue and I'm not going crazy 😛

So why would a platinum PSU do that? Can someone explain this? I'm using a gold corsair PSU (new one, 850W 80+ gold certified) and swapped it twice, same thing.

My previous build uses a 750 corsair gold PSU, which never gave any issues (Intel 3770k ivy bridge, on Asus board)

I then used the previous builds PSU on the new system, to check, and the squealing still occurred. So I'm using a gold 80+ certified, but still getting squealing.

So you going from the titanium to gold fixed it, but I've always been using gold and have it. It happens with my previous builds gold PSU that never gave any issues.

So what would be another troubleshooting tip from here? Maybe my audio issues (realtek drivers only) are because of my PSU...?

I've tested all PSU's with a PSU tester and they check out just fine.

EDIT: This is the PSU I am using
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Supply-Certified/dp/B00EB7UIXM

hmm..

Thanks for the insight btw!

FWIW, I've the squealing/buzzing sounds as well on my M8I board.

It's not constant, only occurs under various loads.

Tried two different PSUs, a Platinum Seasonic 660XP2 and a Gold Corsair RM550x; this made no difference.

BIOS upgrades have made a difference, as whining/buzzing sounds have been greatly decreased over the last few updates. Running the latest (1504) right now. Used hear buzzing whenever I'd move my mouse even, but no longer.

Pretty sure this is largely a board/BIOS issue.

kaptanedi
Level 10
the same tone, if overclocking is done, comes from the mf8. revenues around the CPU socket. mouse movements and learn of sounds.