cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viable SSDs to upgrade M.2 SSD in G751?

phdraptor
Level 7
I was looking into upgrading the SSD in my G751JY-DH71 (currently has the 256 GB ssd).

I've read some posts in these forums (albeit from a while ago) that the G751 BIOS doesn't support NVME. Is that still the case?

Also, would the Samsung 850 EVO/PRO (link) work?

And would I also need a mounting bracket/cage for it?

(alternatively: what's the largest capacity M.2 SSD that the G751 would support?)
4 REPLIES 4

Edweird
Level 10
Get a Samsung SM951 AHCI, you can get a 512GB one. Haven't seen a 1TB yet.

Samsung 850 are a SATA-based SSD and while they do have M.2 variations, they are SATA ones and won't fit the connector on your laptop, which is a PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 connector.

What type of SSD do you currently have? a 2.5 inch one like the abovementioned 850 or a stick type M.2? There's a way to fit both types in that bay.

Yes, you will need a bracket for a M.2 SSD. aeolisio has made some nice ones and you can buy 'em off Shapeways here:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

It's recommended to get some little heatsinks to put on top, as well. These heat up a lot. Be careful about the height, I think 6 millimetres was good.
EBay link

You will need something like doublesided conductive tape to make the connection between the chips and the heatsinks.
3M has nice quality pads like these that come pre-cut.
EBay link

The two on the left and right are the SM951 AHCI and NVMe.

From this, it seems that it should be able to take in a 2.5" drive in the left bay - and I could use the screws hold the new plastic bracket in place.

Thanks!

Edweird
Level 10
So what type of SSD do you actually want? NVMe is only for M.2 drives, not 2.5 inch ones. You can only fit both if you remove the shell of a 2.5 inch one. Then you won't need a bracket for that, but you will need one for the M.2 and if your laptop doesn't come with a M.2 SSD, you won't have the right bracket. Standard models just come with a cage for the second bay for a 2.5 inch drive.

I got a Samsung 256GB 850 EVO as the M.2 are still too expensive and fussy for me.

Not sure if the original screws will hold one of aeolisio's brackets. I think they will. You will definitely need to remove the shell of the SSD if you want both a M.2 and a 2.5 inch.

Another alternative is switching out your optical drive for a HDD bay and putting your regular spinner HDD in there for storage so you don't have to remove the cover of the 2.5 inch SSD and just use the right drive bay.

But from what I've seen so far, the optical drive bay is only SATA 1, the left drive bay where the SSDs would be is SATA 3 and the right drive bay is SATA 2. You need to see how it is in your machine.

I'm open to either, as a replacement for the current M.2 drive.

Were you able to get the EVO to work in the left bay via SATA (the one with the M.2 slot) without a mounting bracket?