cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

128gb of ram is that possible?

Marvey
Level 7
I saw one of the bios update to suport now 16gb dimms, so is possible to have 128gb with this board? at this moment i have 64gb ram and i would like to put 128gb can anyone confirm if it is possible in this board?
thank you
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Yes, it's possible as long as your CPU's IMC is up for the task. But don't expect it to be plug-n-play though. 😛

QuinValen
Level 8
Obviously it can, the specs on the i7-5930K listed max RAM @ 64GB, however not the first time they have ever understated the max RAM the CPUs could handle.There was also this article I found using 128GB with ai7-5820K. & Asus X99 Deluxe/U3.1.

vacaloca is having problems with his when waking from sleep states and freezing on the reboot, but that is only where it is stating any problem is.. You can follow that thread here

The sleep and WOL is a need for him, so it's a killer for his build, but he didn't state any other issues with the 128GB build.

Marvey
Level 7
I have a RAMPAGE EXTREME V and a I7-5960X looking at the specs of the cpu it says only suport 64gb...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Marvey 🙂

128GB is possible yes. The board is not the limitation...the CPU is...

The point is it depends entirely on the CPU's memory controller what you can and can't run above the Intel spec for the chip...and at the end of the day you will only know that by experimentation.

The silicon lottery applies to the memory controller (IMC) just as well as it does to the CPU. Basically the higher the number of GB you try to run and the higher the frequency the more probability you have of running into your chip's limits and encountering problems.

Assuming you are one of the few niche cases who need that quantity of RAM in some professional capacity you would be well advised to go with a low frequency 128GB kit from a premium manufacturer and premium line of RAM.

e.g. http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c14q2-128grk

See my post in the 3000MHz DDR4 setup thread. I am running 128G @ 2800 12-12-12-32-2T. It is a 3000 14CAS kit, but I can't get it to post at that speed. I can however run it without issue at 2800.

In fact, it ran out of the box without changes at 2800-14-14-14-34-2T. Everything Auto, BCLK @100.

This is a 5960x on an X99Pro/USB3.1 but so far I've not seen any difference of note when running at 24/7 settings (frankly even ludicrous overclocking, I have this thing on the RealBench list at 4.8GHz), between the RVE and the X99Pro (I have 2 X99's and one RVE).

So, yes, buy a 128 kit, don't expect the sticker clock speed out of the box and set aside some time to noodle. Also, prepare yourself emotionally to lose some RealBench points. 😉 [RealBench loves those extra DDR cycles it seems]

cekim
Level 11
Oh and if you are running a 1.35v kit, you may look at the silly DDR fans and think, "nah...", but think again. Those things pressed up against each other and running at 1.35v under load generate quite a bit of heat. GSkill and Dominator aren't throwing those in the kits to make you feel good about the extra $'s.

cekim wrote:
Oh and if you are running a 1.35v kit, you may look at the silly DDR fans and think, "nah...", but think again. Those things pressed up against each other and running at 1.35v under load generate quite a bit of heat. GSkill and Dominator aren't throwing those in the kits to make you feel good about the extra $'s.

I got those fan kits with my Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000 DDR 32GB kit, but the things don't fit on my RVE because the Fury X card is right up against the bottom RAM clips for the bank on the left side of the CPU so the thing wont clip on. I could possibly get it on the other side I guess but I only have 4 chips so they have gaps to cool off at least.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

SGMRock wrote:
I got those fan kits with my Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000 DDR 32GB kit, but the things don't fit on my RVE because the Fury X card is right up against the bottom RAM clips for the bank on the left side of the CPU so the thing wont clip on. I could possibly get it on the other side I guess but I only have 4 chips so they have gaps to cool off at least.

The GSkill kit comes with an alternate clip for one side to address this issue that seems to work, but it is definitely a tight fit with the GPU, the monoblock and the shroud on the IO connectors.

cekim wrote:

Ive got nothing against fans (I have 13 of them in my case, granted they are all fixed at about 500 RPM and the things silent, but still 13 x fans is 13 fans. I swear you cant hear the case from 3 feet away though):

But I'm running all 8 DIMMS at 1.35v (though its only 32GB total) and under marathon gaming sessions that roast the entire case through the slow oven effect, the RAM temps have never gone nuts.

Shameless plug:

This thread inspired me to make a newegg impulse buys and I ordered 2 x 32 GB kits, these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231930

Damn I think 8 of them crammed in my case will look nice! Cant really afford to go the 128 GB route yet (and I want all 8 slots populated for looks, so 4 x 16GB kits are out of the question!)
Carry on Sirs!
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU