cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW No Keyboard Backlight - Win 10 X64

ronstracener
Level 7
Bought this machine about a month ago and the keyboard backlight has never worked. I've already tried updating BIOS to 211, and uninstalling and reinstalling ATK. Fn F3/F4 do nothing. Everything else sems to work.
4 REPLIES 4

ronstracener
Level 7
No comments from anyone?

Well I have a GL551JW that were upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 and backlight is working OK. Did you upgrade the drivers via the website, the most recent ones?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Seems like you've done all the right things.

- Make sure to hold the 'Fn' key while you press 'F4' a few times to brighten the keyboard and not just once after you have booted to the Windows desktop instead of the Windows login screen.
- If you upgraded from Win8.1, be sure to use the newer Win10 ATK drivers, or tell us which ATK version you have installed, but you should be running V1.0.0039 or V1.0.0041 for Win10. If your unit came with Win10 pre-installed you should already have one of these versions installed and may want to try the latest V1.0.0041 ATK version.
- Expect your system came with the backlit keyboard, but you may want to provide the full G501JW-xxxx model name printed underneath next to the serial number for us to double-check.

If you still can't get it working, consider sending it back for repair later just to get the hardware checked if you don't have the option to exchange or return it to the store.
Hopefully, others have better ideas. Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hopefully, others have better ideas. Thanks.

few days ago, i've published a guide/post about it 🙂
note that last operation I mentioned there, is highly experimental and might be performed as a last resort, as it was developed for older ROG models, bug might work for newer models.

I appreciate if you can reply in the linked thread, if you found your remedy and how.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]