cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PG279Q] Bottom row of pixels is appearing on top of screen

turqrazor
Level 7
I got a new PG279Q and I've noticed and unusual issue that I don't think a lot of people are having. I've tried searching and can't find anything so I'm not sure if the problem is with just me or not.

My monitor doesn't really seem to have any of the other issues that others are reporting like backlight bleed and dead pixels but on my monitor occasionally it will display what is supposed to be the entire bottom row of pixels on the top of the screen and all the rows of pixels will shift down by one. It can be annoying in games as there is a small bar on top of the game that is displaying different colours than what it should be. Ususally if I just turn the monitor off and then turn it back on again the problem goes away for a little while. I'm not planning to RMA as its a minor issue I can live with and obviously wouldn't want to risk getting a unit with even bigger problems.

Has anyone heard of this issue before or know of a fix for it? I have tried multiple video cards (a GTX 970 and GTX 980 ti) and its happening with both. I have also tried using an HDMI cable as well as displayport and the problem is happening with both as well. I never noticed this issue with my old monitor so I'm wondering if it is indeed a hardware problem or possibly some sort of driver issue.
30 REPLIES 30

onJa007
Level 7
I've also had this problem. It's only with 165hz and g-sync. I found a thread about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/43nvau/asus_rog_pg279q_potential_issues_happening_to/
Have you found a solution to the problem?
I really want to know if this is a problem with the monitor or not.

hiong
Level 8
are you at 165Hz? if so perhaps can try backing down to a lower refresh rate?

Yeah. The monitor works perfectly at 144hz. It's a bit annoying as I bought the monitor to play at 165hz but I could find out in time if the issue was the monitor to return/replace it

onJa007 wrote:
Yeah. The monitor works perfectly at 144hz. It's a bit annoying as I bought the monitor to play at 165hz but I could find out in time if the issue was the monitor to return/replace it

And by the way, how is it possible that the monitor doesn't work in this advertised mode? I have two MSI GTX 970 cards...this should work, right? At least on older games.

GamerMan wrote:
And by the way, how is it possible that the monitor doesn't work in this advertised mode? I have two MSI GTX 970 cards...this should work, right? At least on older games.

Now that i read you have sli, i wonder could that be part of the problem. For amusement try with one 970 does it work then? Works with my single 970. Also that white vertical line...is your game in fullscreen mode? I noticed something like that when one of my games was in windowed mode...like a border of a window.

Janne-71 wrote:
Now that i read you have sli, i wonder could that be part of the problem. For amusement try with one 970 does it work then? Works with my single 970. Also that white vertical line...is your game in fullscreen mode? I noticed something like that when one of my games was in windowed mode...like a border of a window.

I run all my games in fullscreen mode. I noticed on GTA V when I do switch to windowed mode that the monitor's FPS counter stays fixed at whatever I set turbo mode to.

I just shipped the PG279q back this morning. If this happens again with the replacement, I'll try non-SLI mode. Good suggestion.

I also had a vertical line in the middle sometimes. Maybe it's a driver problem switching back and forth between a gsync application and the desktop as I could make it go away by making the switch again to a gsync application again and then back to the desktop. I didn't have to reboot the monitor or power it down. Using a version 360+ driver.

GamerMan wrote:
I noticed on GTA V when I do switch to windowed mode that the monitor's FPS counter stays fixed at whatever I set turbo mode to.

Did you make sure to activate gsync for windowed applications too? There is a separate checkbox for that in the Nvidia control panel. Because from your description it sounds like gsync was not active in windowed mode.

Janne-71 wrote:

I'm still waiting to hear back from the company about my return.
It's interesting we all have the 970, I have the 970 strix. I tried my monitor on a friends PC who also has a 970 and managed to replicate the problem on his PC too so I know it's not my build. Could the problem lie with the graphics card? I used ShadowPlay to try and stream the problem but it didn't show up when I played the video back.