cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Bios.

Bradaz85
Level 7
Hello, I thought this would be a suitable place to ask some questions, if not please could one direct me to where to leave this?

I recently bought a new system (ill leave specs at bottom) and Im having problems, weird problems.

I think its regardless or not whether I use the XMP profile (which I really want to use) or an overclock, I can run it at optimized defaults and still run into issues.

So my problem is the boot process, sometimes it boots up then turns off and turns on again, while booting up, sometimes the OC panel will fail to display making me have to reset the bios to get it working again,
sometimes it will fail boot and give me the "overclocking failed" message, regardless whether its overclocked or not. When I first bought it couple weeks ago I was trying to reach at least 4.4 ghz OC with the XMP enabled of 3200mhz,
it gave me many headaches trying to OC this stuff, I have no idea whats wrong or if somethings broken. At this point, I've done enough trial and error I'm about ready to trade it in for a Sabertooth, or even sell the lot to get a normal quad core skylake.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

i7 5930k (6C/12T)
Corsair H100i - replaced fans for Noctua NF-F12
32GB corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz (8x4GB)
Asus RoG Rampage V Extreme/USB3.1
EVGA 980 ti Classified
Corsair AX860
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (OS + some games)
4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (Storage)
HAF X V2
Logitech G19s & Corsair M65 RGB
Win 10 Pro x64
Asus Rog Swift.

Edit: I'm using the latest 2001 Bios... That's another strange thing, there's 3 official websites for this board and 2 of them do not have newer Bios's for this board like the 2001 bios. whats up with that?
8 REPLIES 8

No, Its 2 packs of 4, bought at the same time though. Scan didn't have any packs of 8 RAM.

yamatosan
Level 8
You need to install one single kit with total memory you want to have a chance to run at XMP profile of memory.
If you want lets say 32GB and you use 2kits of memory of 16GB (2x8GB or 4x4GB) your chances to run XMP profile drop drastically. You don't need an unstable memory kit in your rig.
You must use one kit of 32GB (4x8GB or 8X4GB) to be able to set XMP profile.
Every DDR4 memory kit over JEDEC 2133Mhz is considered overclock and usually depends on the memory controller located in CPU.
Memory modules are put together in kits because they are tested together.

Okay fair do's, I'll see what I can do about returning the RAM and getting it exchanged for a single 8 stick kit somewhere else. But that doesn't really solve the issue, I get random reboots on boot without XMP set or any overclock, and the OC panel is temperamental at best... When the OC panel fails to start with boot, it has to be reset by resetting the Bios making me start all over again, and the panel will fail to start about 1 in 4 times, but I think that could have something to do with the shutdown and restart on boot.

Sorry for the bad terminology for these things, never have I ever had so many problems, but my last system was a 4770k and Asus Hero, that was very easy to setup on a 4.5ghz OC and 1866mhz XMP set RAM.

Random reboots are normal when memory is unstable. Try testing with a single memory kit meanwhile you get another 32GB kit.

yamatosan wrote:
You need to install one single kit with total memory you want to have a chance to run at XMP profile of memory.
If you want lets say 32GB and you use 2kits of memory of 16GB (2x8GB or 4x4GB) your chances to run XMP profile drop drastically. You don't need an unstable memory kit in your rig.
You must use one kit of 32GB (4x8GB or 8X4GB) to be able to set XMP profile.
Every DDR4 memory kit over JEDEC 2133Mhz is considered overclock and usually depends on the memory controller located in CPU.
Memory modules are put together in kits because they are tested together.

Being a relative newbie in the PC-building arena, I bought 2 x 8Gb Corsair LPX from one supplier and then another 6 sticks from a different seller. The first lot are black and the second bunch are red (not that it seems to matter.

I have a basic overclock of 4300Mhz - BCLK: 102.5 - RAM: 2400 (my RAM is actually the 3000 version, but the OC is not stable there).

Perhaps I've been lucky with the RAM.

I would appreciate any advice on how to improve my OC while keeping my machine stable.

nl_wouter_nl
Level 7
where do you get the newest bios firmware? 2001 ? wich website ?...... XD i found only this one:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREMEU31/HelpDesk_Download/

Do not try install 2001 bios.

For my PC Sets, the best and stable bios version is 1701 from there.

My RAM not works on 3200Mhz in higher bios version then 1701. I have notice 55 code, and bip's from speaker.

My point is, back your bios version to 1701.
Next step, change CPU System Agent to 1.25v and change voltage for DRAM to 1.365v.
Next step, sets first 4 timings on DRAM clocks. For my ram G.Skill is 16-16-16-36 2T.
Save settings, restart and again back to bios.
Recheck voltages and very important, recheck your detected capacity ram. (I have big problems to detect all my installed space/capacity of ram).
If you dont have full installed capacity, u need change System agent voltage or decrease mhz from ram.

And next tip: for g.skill is recommending 1.3v for system agent to 3000mhz and up.

Maybee these ideas helps for you.
Sorry for my english.

Added:
I am not use XMP profile. My pc is stable withoud these profile. My CPU have default setting and RAM is tuned to 3200mhz and standard timings for g.skill.