cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer resetting suddenly on intense calculations (Rampage Extreme V/U3.1)

samerafach
Level 7
Hello there:

I bought a Rampage V Extreme to use it for scientific calculations. I installed Debian Jessie on it and I overclocked it to 4.4 GHz using the bios tool without changing any voltages manually and everything looked perfect for a while (until I ran a very intensive program). Now I'm facing a horrible problem when I do intense calculations. The computer suddenly restarts, and I find my system restarted with no errors or anything!

I monitored the temperature while connected to that computer using SSH, and right before it crashed the temperature was about 79 C! Which is way below the critical limit!

Now I opened the windows in my office, and it got colder (65 degrees C) and the computer ran also for another hour and crashed.

And by the way `/var/log/syslog` doesn't say anything. It suddenly just starts over at some point with no clear errors.

And I would like to point out that it's so unlikely that it's a Memory issue, because before starting this very intense CPU process, I did a RAM intesnse process for more than two weeks and it never crashed. The RAM was consistently filled all the time and yet the computer was stable.

Why is this happening? I'm quite disappointed! Please help!

The following are the output of `sensors` and `lscpu | grep MHz`:

Physical id 0: +64.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +64.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +54.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: +64.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3: +62.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 4: +60.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 5: +61.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 6: +57.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 7: +54.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

CPU MHz: 4400.039
CPU max MHz: 4400.0000
CPU min MHz: 1200.0000

The following are the specs of this computer:

Rampage V Extreme/U3.1
Intel 5960x @ 4.4 GHz
Corsair Hydro Series H105
64 GB RAM (8x 8 GB) @ 2133 MHz (not overclocked)
Asus GTX 970 OC Edition
Power Supply: XFX Pro Series Modular 850W
3 HDDs
1 SSD

What would you do? How can you know why the system is restarting like this? Please advise.
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello Samerafach

Reset to default settings and run the cpu intensive application and see if it still shuts down. The shutting down is likely due to an unstable overclock or your psu can't cope under stress.

When overclocking it's best to set the voltage manually.

@Natel152

Thank you for your response!

But then isn't this Motherboard supposed to do this overclock for me automatically? I thought it would do it for me.

Also the weird thing is that if the overclock is not stable, why isn't the Motherboard complaining (as usual) and saying "Overclock failed"? When does it say that and when does it not?

@MeanMachine

Thanks for the info I'll try that and report.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi samerafach

I would suggest your problem is due to an OC instability and indeed the CPU could be throttling.
As you have not mentioned any stress tests conducted, or indeed how you OCed the processor. It is advisable to determine stability under stress at stock frequency 3.5GHz before attempting 4.4GHz. Try lowering your frequency, although a good sample should attain 4.6GHz, it is not guaranteed.

Conduct a stress test using Realbench or Prime95 whilst monitoring your temperatures with HWMonitor. Then report the results.

Go here for a guide: http://rog.asus.com/365052014/overclocking/rog-overclocking-guide-core-for-5960x-5930k-5820k/

Depending on the strength of your IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) will determine stability of the DIMMs you are using. Please mention exact specs. of your modules. Your DIMMs may be fine and may require slight increases to voltage or changes to frequency or timings. Please mention these Bios settings.

Please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Chino
Level 15
Confirm that you've populated the 8 pin power header on the motherboard and that you're running the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults.

Is that a single 64GB memory kit that you're running?

@Chino

Thanks for the response.

Is that a single 64GB memory kit that you're running?

All pins are populated. I checked today and I'll double check in the morning. Even the other 4-pin slot is filled too.

The BIOS is latest. I remember it's version 1902 from December 2015.

Yes, the memory is one kit.

@MeanMachine

So I looked into details to my configuration.

1- All pins are connected: 8+4.
2- My memory is Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHz. Link:

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-lpx-64gb-8x8gb-ddr4-dram-2133mhz-c13-memory-kit-black-cmk64gx4m8...

3- How I overclocked: I went to the bios, and there's an OC option "CPU Level". I chose 4.4 GHz, and it did auto-tuning.

4- I started a Realbench test, I went to lunch, I came back, and the computer was frozen with a black screen. I restarted, and I got the message on bios "Overclocking failed".

Now I have the latest bios: V2001.
I tried to overclock manually according to the webpage you gave me, but I don't see the CPU multiplier ratio to be chosen. There's only the "CPU Level", which causes auto tuning regardless of what voltage I choose; and there's 4 options there only: 4.0 GHz, 4.2, 4.4 and Auto. My recent tries to reuse this options have failed. So now I'm going to switch to Windows to use Asus AI Suite to try to overclock. And then after it works, I'm going to increase the voltage to 1.3. Does that sound like a good plan?

I would appreciate clear instructions on how to do the overclock the right way.

Note: At home, I have Rampage 4 Extreme for gaming, and I overclock my 4930k to 4.5 GHz very, very easily using AI Suite 2 that I never worried about it... So this is pretty surprising for me. Nevertheless, I would like to try the "hard way" to overclock.

Thank you.

samerafach wrote:

I would appreciate clear instructions on how to do the overclock the right way.

Raja has written a guide on Haswell-E overclocking. You can find the link in my signature.