cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G750JZ power issues

tomas
Level 7
Greetings,
has anyone experienced power related issues on G750 models as described on this Thread: G750JH charger/power supply problem? It appears it is the only thread that highlights the issue with intermittent power cutoff.

I bought my G750JZ in June 2014, upgraded to 32G ram, with a SSD and a 7200rpm hdd. I use my G750JZ as a desktop replacement without the battery until in late March 2015, it switched off by itself for the 1st time. The frequency of this sudden shutdown subsequently increased over next few weeks. As recommended by the mentioned thread, I connected the notebook to the power supply with the battery in it. It seems to have prevented the notebook from shutting down, except for the occasional intermittent switching between power and battery. This problem only occurs when playing games using the Nvidia gfx. Never crashes or shutdown for the usual work tasks.

Anyway, the problem has gotten worse. For the last 3 mths, it started to shutdown by itself again, with the battery in it! The intermittent switching time between power and battery mode increased significantly from a short span of a few secs to a few mins.
It also started to exhibit signs of total power failure; no matter how I twist or turn the damn connector, it just won't power up the notebook with the battery in it, and suddenly it just works.

To keep this ranting short, I have been collecting event logs and hardware monitoring logs on the intermittent power mode switching issues for the last few hours before my G750JZ has decided to cut itself off the power supply for the last time yesterday. The logs show the power mode switch / shutdown always occur soon after the nVidia GPU load sustains above 80% and temp goes up to 82C. Assuming power failure at that point, it switched to battery mode (or shutdown if no battery) for an undetermined amount of mins before power returns.

I'd appreciate greatly If anyone has any explanation or servicing experience on this issue. From the looks of the dead G750JZ, the only option I have now is taking it to the servicing center and pray they have a good after sales service.

ps. the subwoofer's already dead for couple of mths.
4 REPLIES 4

Pandur
Level 10
Have you tried with a different charger?
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Took my G750JZ to the service center today and tested with their adapter. Still no power from their power supply. So I think my adapter isn't the problem.

Anyway, I also reported the subwoofer is dead, and a rattling noise (early signs of wear) from the GPU fan at high RPM. The tired looking service gal said it'll take about 5 working days to respond regarding the repair. They will probably replace the motherboard and will take between 1 to 3 weeks depending on parts availability.

I'll post on new developments if I receive any news from them.

Pandur
Level 10
Yeah, sounds like there's a problem with the power circuits on the motherboard then.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Hi Tomas,

What was the outcome for you? Did they replaced the motherboard?
Now I'm experiencing the exactly same issues that you have described.
Power switching between supply and battery during high performance gaming . Now there is no power coming from the supply at all.