Gobe PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 5960X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB Quad 3200 14-14-14-34
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro m.2 NVMe 512 Gb
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro m.2 NVMe 512 Gb
    CPU CoolerPhobya UC-2 LT w/Phobya DC12-400 pump w/Phobya G-Changer 360mm & Phobya Xtreme 200 V.2 radiators
    CaseCorsair 750D Airflow Edition - Want BIGGER!
    Power SupplySeaSonic X-1250
    Keyboard Vintage (1989) IBM Model M Clicky 'cuz I'm old (PN: 1390131) Bolt-Modded
    Mouse The cat kills 'em, the dog kills the rats and possums, racoons are a problem. Life in the country!
    OS Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
    Network RouterDon't remember; don't care.
    Accessory #1 Ice bucket for the Phobya Xtreme 200 V.2 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Caffeinated beverage du jour
    Accessory #3 The occasional 18 year Glenfiddich, because I've earned it, dammit.

Menthol, the cherry picked CPU is predictably a J batch. Don't recall where it was made. Won't be taking it off until the Phobya cooling shows up so I'll have a look then. The CPU I used for my RB score that Arne just passed for 2nd place is a Malaysia L batch.

As far as finding a quantifiable difference between the two CPUs, under air, I can enable the J batch cores one at a time and bench 4.9 on all of them. With the L batch, the individual cores benched between 4.7 and 4.9. However, once I pulled out the ice bucket, I got the L batch CPU up to 4.86.

Your 4.6 figure on less than 1.3 volts seems on target. If the Phobya doesn't show up today, I'll try to see how low I can take the voltage at 4.6. Considering I got 4.65 at 1.325 on AIO, the 4.6/1.3 figure might be obtainable. Once the Phobya cooling arrives, all bets are off since my J batch was binned for best of best.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gobe View Post
    Menthol, the cherry picked CPU is predictably a J batch. Don't recall where it was made. Won't be taking it off until the Phobya cooling shows up so I'll have a look then. The CPU I used for my RB score that Arne just passed for 2nd place is a Malaysia L batch.

As far as finding a quantifiable difference between the two CPUs, under air, I can enable the J batch cores one at a time and bench 4.9 on all of them. With the L batch, the individual cores benched between 4.7 and 4.9. However, once I pulled out the ice bucket, I got the L batch CPU up to 4.86.

Your 4.6 figure on less than 1.3 volts seems on target. If the Phobya doesn't show up today, I'll try to see how low I can take the voltage at 4.6. Considering I got 4.65 at 1.325 on AIO, the 4.6/1.3 figure might be obtainable. Once the Phobya cooling arrives, all bets are off since my J batch was binned for best of best.
    My 4.8 capable chip does so at 1.36-1.37 (I really don't want to push it further than that anyway). The funny thing is that lower than 1.3 @ 4.5 or 4.6 (doesn't matter), I eventually (day to weeks). Even funnier, is that the crash occurs under light load (cold to first use speed step - first key-strokes to spin up after idling all night).

Wondering if maybe I am tweaking the wrong voltage to squash whatever it is that causes long-term instability?

Wondering even more if I'm still getting gremlins from SLI + 10GbE + M.2 under linux. None of those things has struck me as terribly well worn paths, less still all in one place. I had to do the PCIe dance a few times just to prevent random boot hang-ups for resource contention (m.2 and 10GbE card don't appreciate eachother's company AT ALL).

I may swap the strix GTX980's out for the 980ti lightning and walk those voltages down this weekend. It would be frustrating to lose the Cuda/openCL power, but good to know if I am pushing more voltage than required for the processor because my PCIe cards are fighting eachother.

!@#$ you, CPU! Array Gobe PC Specs
    Gobe PC Specs
    CPU CoolerPhobya UC-2 LT w/Phobya DC12-400 pump w/Phobya G-Changer 360mm & Phobya Xtreme 200 V.2 radiators
    Keyboard Vintage (1989) IBM Model M Clicky 'cuz I'm old (PN: 1390131) Bolt-Modded
    Mouse The cat kills 'em, the dog kills the rats and possums, racoons are a problem. Life in the country!
    Accessory #3 The occasional 18 year Glenfiddich, because I've earned it, dammit.

Sounds like the speed step then [Edit: said with the confidence of someone who doesn't have to deal with the problem]. I turn all that stuff off since it only costs me around 40 watts at idle. I just turn off an extra light and the power company is none the wiser... Until I crank it up and the entire grid sags under the load.
    Last edited by Gobe; 03-23-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Sounds like the speed step then [Edit: said with the confidence of someone who doesn't have to deal with the problem]. I turn all that stuff off since it only costs me around 40 watts at idle. I just turn off an extra light and the power company is none the wiser... Until I crank it up and the entire grid sags under the load.
    Could also be the PSU. Not the top-end but the bottom. These experiments take weeks as the failure takes that long to show...

As for speedstep, it isn't the money or the planet, just want to help ensure that when I retire the chip because its obsolete, not because I baked it doing nothing overnight when I didn't have to. Some nights, many nights, I do need to bake it.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

So did Arne move back out in front? I bet that sneaky guy was holding back all along laughing at us

Gobe PC Specs

Yea, the little sneak moved back ahead of me into 2nd place. Was messaging with Arne earlier and he made an interesting observation about the Xeons up at the top. The leaderboard shows them both as 8 cores, but the two motherboards are DUAL XEON boards. Now we know where those monster H.264 scores come from!

Just made some interesting stress test runs on my cherry 5960X. At 4.6 GHz and 1.200 volts, it BSOD at the login screen. Bump it up to 1.253 volts and it chugs right through an hour of RealBench stress test at 4.6 GHz. I'm still trying to figure out what to make of a 53 mV difference between a BSOD at login and a successful one hour RB stress test stability slamming HandBrake among other things. Hottest core topped out at 77°C on AIO cooling.

My older 5960X does 4.5 GHz at 1.300 volts, so 4.6 GHz at 1.243 volts is pretty sweet.

The guys who sold me the Phobya unit had it listed as in stock. I sent them a note today because I'd not yet received a shipment notification (paid for it last weekend). They wrote back to tell me that they didn't have the item in stock, but were having it shipped in and they'd notify me when they ship it out. Apparently the term "In Stock" in an item description is open to considerable interpretation these days. Oh well, it's not like I've never BS'ed a customer or two on getting stuff shipped here from Germany.

Yea, the little sneak moved back ahead of me into 2nd place. Was messaging with Arne earlier and he made an interesting observation about the Xeons up at the top. The leaderboard shows them both as 8 cores, but the two motherboards are DUAL XEON boards. Now we know where those monster H.264 scores come from!

Just made some interesting stress test runs on my cherry 5960X. At 4.6 GHz and 1.200 volts, it BSOD at the login screen. Bump it up to 1.253 volts and it chugs right through an hour of RealBench stress test at 4.6 GHz. I'm still trying to figure out what to make of a 53 mV difference between a BSOD at login and a successful one hour RB stress test stability slamming HandBrake among other things. Hottest core topped out at 77°C on AIO cooling.

My older 5960X does 4.5 GHz at 1.300 volts, so 4.6 GHz at 1.243 volts is pretty sweet.

The guys who sold me the Phobya unit had it listed as in stock. I sent them a note today because I'd not yet received a shipment notification (paid for it last weekend). They wrote back to tell me that they didn't have the item in stock, but were having it shipped in and they'd notify me when they ship it out. Apparently the term "In Stock" in an item description is open to considerable interpretation these days. Oh well, it's not like I've never BS'ed a customer or two on getting stuff shipped here from Germany.
    What cache freq/voltage, if I may ask?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

Gobe, where do you live if I may ask

Gobe PC Specs

cekim, Cache was running (I think) 4.2 GHz set to auto. I've been able to run the cache and cores both at 4.8 with stability, but that takes a lot of cache voltage and extra heat to deal with for not so much advantage. Right now I'm really frustrated with the AIO cooler I'm running while I wait for the Phobya. Sure, I can get an ice bucket nice and cold, but if the pump/block don't assault the thermal interface with a brutal water flow and smart engineering, it's all for naught. AIO just isn't up to the job where the rubber meets the road. I'm sure if I somehow cracked the AIO block open, my first word would be "wow", and not a good "wow".

Menthol, USA, Southeast, though any given week I can be working anywhere in the US or occasionally Germany.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

I'm sure if I somehow cracked the AIO block open, my first word would be
    I did this to a H100 back in the day...after it leaked...my first words were "what a load of ba**s! Where's that EK link to build a real loop!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast