Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Thanks for your answer nemerdekel! I've managed to overclock my monitor and have set the refresh rate to 75hz. I was anxious to see if this might solve my problem. It didnt... And i've done the overclocking after a fresh, clean install of the latest drivers.

As for the undervolting of my CPU, I will take your advice and stay out of this for now since I dont have experience in under/over clocking...

One more possible solution crossed my mind today surfing the web. How about updating my GPU bios? Is it worth it? Can it be done on this particular GPU (gtx965 m)?
    Last edited by watzuuuup; 04-13-2016 at 06:26 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Changing the vBios is worse than (more dangerous) undervolting, so I would try that one first
    In XTU: - Core Voltage Offset -75mV
    - Cache Voltage Offset -50mV

These values should be pretty safe as I'm running -90 on the core and -100 on cache without problems

Make sure that you go - (negative) positive voltage could damage your CPU
    Laptop: G751JL
    Processor: i7-4750HQ
    Graphics Card: GTX 965M
    Memory: 8 GB Samsung (stock)
    Storage #1: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
    Storage #2: 1 TB 7200 rpm (stock)

ROG Member Array

I think i may have found a solution to the black screen problem. It's not a perfectly good one but I reduced the black screen frequency to aprox. 2 black screens per day of use. Wierd!

Under advanced power options, for the high performance plan, at processor power management, i've set the maximum processor state from 100% to 95% for both "on battery" and "plugged in".
    After doing so, the display is easyly more stable and it made me wonder about your suggestion Nemerdekel, undervolting the CPU. The question really is, what connection has the processor with the rendering of the display, since i've heard that Intel HD graphics are permanently disabled on this notebook.

Mine stopped doing it, so I would say it has something with the cpu and the undervolting pretty much fixed it

ROG Member Array

Ok, after almost 2 weeks of testing, i figured it out or so it seems. Using XTU utility, i've set the core voltage offset to -80 mv and the cache voltage offset to -75 mv. In these past days since i've used this settings, i've only encountered one or maybe 2 black screens. So basically, the problem is ALMOST solved.

Can anyone please explain what does the voltage of the CPU has to do with rendering images on the display since all that work is done by the GPU. Maybe i'm missing something or I dont have that kind of deep knoledge about computer internals.

I can confirm this solved my problem too, no black screen for almost a month

ROG Member Array

Hello!

I'm having a similar issue. I have a G751JT-DH72, which every 2-3 days, it simply freezes the video and sometimes the audio keeps running and sometimes freezes completely.
    I was undevolting with XTU only the CORE VOLTAGE OFFSET to -50mV and randomly crashed. Then, I let it to default settings and it also crashed in the same way. Sometimes it freezes when I'm watching videos on Youtube, today froze when I was playing CS GO.
    I always suspend the device, maybe this can be the problem. My question is, if using a modded VBios, could solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I did a vbios mod procedure and everything is running properly. I hope this fix my problem.
    Last edited by b0xBR; 06-07-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by b0xBR View Post
    Hello!

I'm having a similar issue. I have a G751JT-DH72, which every 2-3 days, it simply freezes the video and sometimes the audio keeps running and sometimes freezes completely.
    I was undevolting with XTU only the CORE VOLTAGE OFFSET to -50mV and randomly crashed. Then, I let it to default settings and it also crashed in the same way. Sometimes it freezes when I'm watching videos on Youtube, today froze when I was playing CS GO.
    I always suspend the device, maybe this can be the problem. My question is, if using a modded VBios, could solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I did a vbios mod procedure and everything is running properly. I hope this fix my problem.
    The only way to find out is to test it. I also want to know if changing the VBIOS did fix the problem or the - voltage on cpu

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by nemerdekel View Post
    The only way to find out is to test it. I also want to know if changing the VBIOS did fix the problem or the - voltage on cpu
    I'm testing right now and I'll let you know if I had success or not.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by nemerdekel View Post
    So far, no problems detected. I did a VBios update + undervolt (Core + Cache) and everything is running properly.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast