cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Windows 10 update bricked my G75VW

finalhour
Level 11
Hey guys,

So I have the G75VW-BBK5. I guess something went awry with windows updates because I can't get to the lock screen, instead I'm stuck on an endless loop of the dotted spinning wheel at startup.

I can't seem to get the laptop to boot into the BIOS to boot from a usb or cdrom, is there a shortcut that I'm forgetting? There aren't any shortcuts displayed at startup for booting into recovery mode or into the BIOS and since I can't get to the settings screen I can't do it from there.

Help!
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz
7 REPLIES 7

Cunfuu_Polac
Level 7
well thanks to microsoft.. that kinda stuff can happen..
edit can you live usb from another OS?

Cunfuu Polac wrote:
well thanks to microsoft.. that kinda stuff can happen..
edit can you live usb from another OS?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. I think I have a USB recovery stick I can try. But what do you mean from another OS?
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

maf23
Level 7
That is why I image my new OS before ever connecting to the internet. Good luck with the USB recovery disc. Try going into Set-up in Bios and re-order boot order to look for USB before your hard drive. My Windows 10 created DVD rescue image gave me a non-system disc error when I needed it even though it was verified to load creating it. Windows 10 major updates are more akin to complete re-installs and mine installed one as soon as I connected to internet and it wiped my Boot Manager. I recommend using Macriumn to clone an image (make sure you copy all the partitions) to another hard drive or invest in an imaging program such as True Image for these types of situations.

maf23 wrote:
That is why I image my new OS before ever connecting to the internet. Good luck with the USB recovery disc. Try going into Set-up in Bios and re-order boot order to look for USB before your hard drive. My Windows 10 created DVD rescue image gave me a non-system disc error when I needed it even though it was verified to load creating it. Windows 10 major updates are more akin to complete re-installs and mine installed one as soon as I connected to internet and it wiped my Boot Manager. I recommend using Macriumn to clone an image (make sure you copy all the partitions) to another hard drive or invest in an imaging program such as True Image for these types of situations.

I mean at this point I've had enough Windows 10. I'm getting a Mac with Skylake next week, but I'd like to keep this computer as my streaming machine if I can get it working again >_<

Pandur
Level 10
Cold boot your G75 while mashing F2 should result in the bios screen. But you have to turn it off first, a restart won't do it.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Pandur wrote:
Cold boot your G75 while mashing F2 should result in the bios screen. But you have to turn it off first, a restart won't do it.

I'll try this, thank you! I hard booted last (I'm in windows 10), is there any other way in if F2 doesn't work?

maf23
Level 7
On a desktop holding down the power button forces a hard reset. On a laptop you may have to take out the battery to cycle the power. Just cycling power may force Windows into repair. Otherwise repaeat the process with the Restore USB plugged in. When you do get into setup (keep hitting F2 on restart until Set-Up screen appears), disable FastBoot and put the hard drive last in the boot order. Make sure you save when exiting! You should be able to boot from USB and do a system repair.