Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Black boot issues with SLI

DMZamora
Level 7
Hello 😉

My first message here, unfortunately to ask for some advice 😐

I am actually using a somewhat old Rampage III Black, with the following configuration:

I7 920 @ 3.5 GHz
2x Asus 780 Ti Matrix Platinum (PCIe slots 1 and 3, 16x), stock clocks
12GB (3x 4GB) RAM Corsair Vengeance
Kingston SSD on SATA 6 GB connectors (Onboard SATA6G controller)
EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU

Everything was OK until I bought the second 780 Ti to run on SLI. With the two boards on, I'm often having trouble at boot.

On a cold start, most of the time the machine boots OK, but sometimes one of the GPUs is not detected. A few times, none are detected. When only the first card is detected correctly, Windows boots and everything runs OK, except for the lack of the second board. When only the second, or none of the cards are detected, I obviously get no video, but Windows still boots OK, and I can shutdown the machine via power button or remotely.

When it boots OK with the two cards, the computer works perfectly, even at full load on the two GPUs and the CPU, so it's not likely a PSU problem.

The big trouble starts when I put it on suspend mode. On resume, it will struggle to get back on, every single time repeating the exact same sequence:

- Resume starts, then freezes with Q-Code 'dE' (not listed on the table).
- Press reset or power off/on, resume starts again, then freezes with Q-Code 'd4' (PCI resource allocation error).
- Press power off/on, no Q-Code errors and from here we're like on a cold boot, with both cards on a "detection lottery". No more Q-Code errors, no matter how many power cycles are necessary to get both cards detected (usually 2 ou 3).

This happens every time I put the machine on suspend mode. Exceptionally, let's say 1 time in 10, the machine apparently resumes OK the first time, Windows loads, but freezes at the login screen. Always.

Just to make it clear: with just one board, there are no problems at all. What I tried so far:

- No overclock at all (CPU or GPUs), same problem occurs.
- Put just one, any of the two cards on any slot, the machine boots and works flawlessly.
- Disabled any of the cards via PCIe Lane Switch, the machine boots and works flawlessly.
- Checked all electrical connections from the PSU to the MoBo and GPUs.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey DMZamora 🙂

Does sound a bit power related on first hearing? How old is the PSU

You have all power connections made...especially the EZ plugs...for extra power installing multiple GPUs?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey DMZamora 🙂

Does sound a bit power related on first hearing? How old is the PSU

You have all power connections made...especially the EZ plugs...for extra power installing multiple GPUs?

Hello Arne

The PSU is just about a year old. All connections made and checked. It was the first thing I thought but, as stated, when it boots correctly, I can use it at full load all day long with no power issues.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, that it runs happily after it boots doesn't rule out PSU but sure, makes it less likely? Not sure what to suggest....

New BIOS battery? You tried clearing cmos before booting? Tried one stick of RAM in recommended slot just to discount failing stick...

Clean install of GPU drivers after using DDU? and don't use latest use 361.91 or 262.00...latest are real bad for SLI systems

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well, that it runs happily after it boots doesn't rule out PSU but sure, makes it less likely? Not sure what to suggest....

New BIOS battery? You tried clearing cmos before booting? Tried one stick of RAM in recommended slot just to discount failing stick...

Clean install of GPU drivers after using DDU? and don't use latest use 361.91 or 262.00...latest are real bad for SLI systems

Really don't think that it's a driver problem, 'cause it occurs during POST, well before loading Windows.

Anyway, I'll have a try on your suggestions during the weekend, and report back, thanks 😉

After another take of tests, tried all suggestions, with no success. And just found that the problem now occurs even with only one 780 installed. Exactly the same behavior, with either board.

This adds to the possibility of a PSU issue, but to burn about $350 on a 1300W new PSU (yes, it's expensive around here) just to test, is a bit harsh. But I think I eventually will have to do it 😕

BIOS version? Can you enter BIOS settings if not boot properly?
M/b: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme BIOS 3604
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz (Noctua NH-D14)
RAM: 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance LP (CML8GX3M2A2133C11G) @ 2133MHz
V/c: ASUS GTX1060 8Gb Turbo
Case: SilverStone Raven RV-02E
PSU: Hiper K900
HDD: OCZ Agility 3

Maximatiq wrote:
BIOS version? Can you enter BIOS settings if not boot properly?

Version is 0602, the last available.

No, when the error occurs, it stops with one of the Q-Code errors listed above, before anything shows on the screen.

Maximatiq
Level 7
Can you look IME version in BIOS?
BTW look my thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83822-Maximus-IV-Extreme-3604-BIOS-with-latest-IME-embedde...

Maybe U have old IME version or flashed it incorrectly... =\
M/b: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme BIOS 3604
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz (Noctua NH-D14)
RAM: 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance LP (CML8GX3M2A2133C11G) @ 2133MHz
V/c: ASUS GTX1060 8Gb Turbo
Case: SilverStone Raven RV-02E
PSU: Hiper K900
HDD: OCZ Agility 3

Maximatiq wrote:
Can you look IME version in BIOS?
BTW look my thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83822-Maximus-IV-Extreme-3604-BIOS-with-latest-IME-embedde...

Maybe U have old IME version or flashed it incorrectly... =\

As far as I know, IME is a resource available only to 3rd generation Intel processors, and my i7 920 is from 1st generation 🙂

Anyway, pretty interesting lecture on the topic you linked. I too have the problem of code 00 when trying to boot from BIOS 2.

I'll reflash the BIOS, just in case.