System Config:

Maximus VIII Impact, BIOS rev 1504
i6700k
Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 2x8G
Nepton 1200XL Cooler
No graphics card until I get the basic system functioning
Windows 10 64 bit

Symptoms:

The system was working great. I upgraded the bios using USB, loaded windows 10, ran all available updates, updated all of the system drivers available on the ASUS site. XMP enabled, and memory was rock solid. Other BIOS setting largely unchanged. The system was stable - no issues whatsoever. I was able to restart, shutdown, reset - basically every test I could think of was working fine. I was in love, and patting myself on the back for a flawless build.....

Then trouble started.

I loaded AI Suite, and ran the fan optimization. No problem. I then ran the auto optimizer, which indicated I could get a 10% improvement, so I clicked "OK." Nothing has worked since.

I reloaded the BIOS (from USB), have pushed the Clear CMOS, powered down - everything I can think of. At this point, the POST sequence completes, but does not go on to load windows. Worse, I cannot access the BIOS. I get a screen that indicates that the BIOS recognizeds the CPU and the memory, but then tells me to press F1 for setup. Doesn't work. I cannot get past this screen. Pushing delete/F2 during the POST sequence does not help - I end up at the same screen, and no input from the keyboard (a usb device) is recognized. The other thing I have noticed is that the Boot_Dev LED on the motherboard stays lit (red) when the screen appears.

It seems to me that the BIOS has not properly cleared. However, that is simply a guess based on the symptoms.

Any ideas? Is there a way to "force" the bios to reset and clear the cmos setting more effectively than pushing the clear_cmos button? Is there a process/sequence that I've missed? Am I just an idiot?

Any help appreciated. Let me know if additional details are needed.

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
1. Disconnect the power cable from the wall.
2. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
3. Push the Start button to discharge any remaining power.
4. Put the CMOS battery back into place.
5. Connect the power cable back to the wall.
6. Turn on your system.

Tried this, but no joy. I actually disconnected the battery all day while I was at work. Reconnected when I got back, but same issue.

The screen that I am stuck on indicates that all of the components are recognised (cpu, memory, ssd, keyboard, and mouse) - but I cannot enter the bios and it still will not boot windows.

Help.....

AKBAAR
Level 9
I have same Motherboard as you do boss, but give me time to look into your problem.

So, remember that your motherboard is has only USB3 ports. check if your keyboard is compliant with USB 3.

regarding the BOOT SEQUENCE LED on the motherboard, I do have same sequence of colors.
First it lights up white, and the end RED light constant not blinking. if its blinking that means there is something wrong.
totally normal

by the way, try flashing using USB FLASHBACK which works even with no CPU or memory installed.
so try removing all the DDR4 rams use the motherboard with no Memory installed not even one stick.

Thanks. The keyboard/mouse are compliant - they were both working fine with both BIOS and Windows before I started having problems.

I tried downgrading the BIOS this afternoon, with the same result - won't boot to windows and cannot enter the bios

Will try without memory tomorrow, but the BIOS seems to recognise it.

AYODER56 wrote:
Thanks. The keyboard/mouse are compliant - they were both working fine with both BIOS and Windows before I started having problems.

I tried downgrading the BIOS this afternoon, with the same result - won't boot to windows and cannot enter the bios

Will try without memory tomorrow, but the BIOS seems to recognise it.

Do your keyboard and mouse light up when you turn on your system?

Thanks, guys - will try these suggestions over the weekend.

I've previously tried removing one, and then both SSDs. Same result.

Keyboard and mouse are not lighted versions, but there are fresh batteries, they are recognised by the USB controller (and so presumably are passing along my commands as I type them), and both are recognised by the BIOS.

Any idea where I might be able to find the CMOS JUMPER?

Will update on Saturday.

I am responding to this thread from my new system!!!

I'm still not sure what happened, but I think it was the keyboard I was using.

The old keyboard WAS working. However, based on the suggestion here I tried a new one I had laying around - and I was able to access the BIOS and boot windows.

Thank you!!!

Nate152

Nate152
Hello AYODER56

Maybe try a different hdd/ssd if you have one, or disconnecting your current one.