cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inputs from Anyone who is Playing/has Played Assassin's Creed Syndicate on G751JY

bhaviljain68
Level 7
Hi,

As the Title suggests i looking for input from someone who is playing the game.

I wanna know what your temps are and at what settings lvl and what fps are you getting?

I my issue is that only with this game i get temps of 90-95 consistently other games i get less than 80-85.

I was playing at MID-HIGH settings... and i would get 35+ FPS.

I tried lowering the setting to all LOW ... it gives me an FPS boots and reached 55+, bt the temperatures remain the same.

Is it ok/safe to have such high temps consistently??

Other games i recently played were Black Ops 3, Dying Light, MGS V, GTA V. I never reached such temps with these games.

I earlier has an issue with AC Unity (High Temps and Freeze-Crashing), but that turned out to be a driver issue (Intel WiFi Driver was required, whilst i had Microsoft provided one ).

but none since then. and i checked the driver this time as well... its Intel provided and updated as well. also i don't have any crashes.
8 REPLIES 8

NitroX
Level 10
Well, I actually got 90+C on CPU in AC Unity one year ago n my G751JY. So I'm not surprised to hear the same thing for Syndicate. The problem is that the game is quite resource hungry and it keeps both CPU and GPU at a very high usage percentage. Therefore, the heat continues to accumulate inside the case and the temps tend to get quite high. There have been several threads on the forums about how to lower down CPU temps.

I recommend this order:

1) Use V-Sync/G-Sync in games to limit FPS to maximum monitor refresh rate (60Hz = 60FPS for example)
2) Go for an Undervolt using Intel XTU or Throttlestop (a -70/-70mv should be safe enough but it still depends on your CPU's capabilities).
3) Use NBFC to take over the control of your CPU fan. The default CPU fan is quite lazy so increasing the RPM of the fan will lower down temps considerably due to increased air flow inside the case. More info here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58501-Making-of-quot-Official-NotebookFanControl-G751JY-Pr...
4) Lower down CPU clocks while gaming. You can use either Intel XTU or Throttlestop to do this. I personally use Throttlestop cause I have more profiles: one with maximum performance (for high demanding games where temps are quite normal), one light gaming profile (for games like AC where the CPU usage doesn't go to 80-100% so I can use lower clocks like 3200Mhz or 3300Mhz in order to lower temps while gaming), one profile for office and internet browsing and another one for battery.
5) Use CPU Affinity to disable hyperthreading for certain games that don't make use of HT. More info here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to-... . But tbh, this is quite a pain in the ... because you have to set the affinity each time you launch the app.

NitroX wrote:
Well, I actually got 90+C on CPU in AC Unity one year ago n my G751JY. So I'm not surprised to hear the same thing for Syndicate. The problem is that the game is quite resource hungry and it keeps both CPU and GPU at a very high usage percentage. Therefore, the heat continues to accumulate inside the case and the temps tend to get quite high. There have been several threads on the forums about how to lower down CPU temps.

I recommend this order:

1) Use V-Sync/G-Sync in games to limit FPS to maximum monitor refresh rate (60Hz = 60FPS for example)
2) Go for an Undervolt using Intel XTU or Throttlestop (a -70/-70mv should be safe enough but it still depends on your CPU's capabilities).
3) Use NBFC to take over the control of your CPU fan. The default CPU fan is quite lazy so increasing the RPM of the fan will lower down temps considerably due to increased air flow inside the case. More info here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58501-Making-of-quot-Official-NotebookFanControl-G751JY-Pr...
4) Lower down CPU clocks while gaming. You can use either Intel XTU or Throttlestop to do this. I personally use Throttlestop cause I have more profiles: one with maximum performance (for high demanding games where temps are quite normal), one light gaming profile (for games like AC where the CPU usage doesn't go to 80-100% so I can use lower clocks like 3200Mhz or 3300Mhz in order to lower temps while gaming), one profile for office and internet browsing and another one for battery.
5) Use CPU Affinity to disable hyperthreading for certain games that don't make use of HT. More info here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to-... . But tbh, this is quite a pain in the ... because you have to set the affinity each time you launch the app.

Hey NitroX,
Thanks For the quick response.

1) I already do that(V-sync).. i've the refresh rate set at 75hz ... though the game never reaches 75fps unless i'm playing at Low setting.
2) I did the undervolting last night after making this post as i had forgotten that i had previously reverted to default due to unsability... havent tested it yet though.
3) I have been using NBFC since nearly day one with your profile i might add.. ;).
4) I use XTU for the same... Last night i set the clocks at 34x,33x,32x,31x. Will let you know how it goes.
5) Will try this as well.

Thanks. 🙂

NitroX
Level 10
Well, lowering the clocks down will surely make things better. But I'm still shocked that your CPU went all way up to 90+ C even with NBFC . You should make sure that the NBFC service is still working cause sometimes it just stops and it needs a reinstall. Also, I recommend spending some time with tweaking the undervolt. It is one of the best solutions cause it reduces temps without affecting performance.

Okay, now other things that might influence are:

1) Use Balanced profile while gaming . This way, the CPU has time to cool down a bit between loads. High performance profile is mostly used for benchmarks. Also, I recommend settings Cooling Policy to Active in the Balanced Profile (Processor Management sections).

2) In NVidia control panel, try these: Turn ON FXAA, Turn OFF MFAA, Power Management mode = Maximum Performance (as opposed to the CPU this might actually help the GPU), Texture Quality = Performance (there is no visible change in game but it might take off some load from the CPU), Triple Buffering ON, and try forcing V-Sync ON from here while keeping it OFF in-game.

This is how I usually like to keep my settings for games. DO NOT make this changes in the global section. You don't want to force FXAA for windows apps, or V-Sync for any kind of application. Just make the changes for each game separately.

Hope this will make things somewhat better :).

I'll wait for you answer after testing all this.

NitroX wrote:
Well, lowering the clocks down will surely make things better. But I'm still shocked that your CPU went all way up to 90+ C even with NBFC . You should make sure that the NBFC service is still working cause sometimes it just stops and it needs a reinstall. Also, I recommend spending some time with tweaking the undervolt. It is one of the best solutions cause it reduces temps without affecting performance.

Okay, now other things that might influence are:

1) Use Balanced profile while gaming . This way, the CPU has time to cool down a bit between loads. High performance profile is mostly used for benchmarks. Also, I recommend settings Cooling Policy to Active in the Balanced Profile (Processor Management sections).

2) In NVidia control panel, try these: Turn ON FXAA, Turn OFF MFAA, Power Management mode = Maximum Performance (as opposed to the CPU this might actually help the GPU), Texture Quality = Performance (there is no visible change in game but it might take off some load from the CPU), Triple Buffering ON, and try forcing V-Sync ON from here while keeping it OFF in-game.

This is how I usually like to keep my settings for games. DO NOT make this changes in the global section. You don't want to force FXAA for windows apps, or V-Sync for any kind of application. Just make the changes for each game separately.

Hope this will make things somewhat better :).

I'll wait for you answer after testing all this.

Will UnderVolting Was a bust... I'm facing stability issues...the laptop freezes.. :(. The Set Ups i tried were

1: Result - Freeze and Hard restart
Core Voltage Offset : -75
Cache Voltage Offset : -75
Processor Clocks :
1- 34x
2- 33x
3- 32x
4- 31x

1: Result - Freeze and Hard restart
Core Voltage Offset : -60
Cache Voltage Offset : -60
Processor Clocks :
1- 34x
2- 33x
3- 32x
4- 31x

1: Result - Didn't see a Crash, but no noticeable reduction in temps.
Core Voltage Offset : -60
Cache Voltage Offset : -60
Processor Clocks : (Default)
1- 35x
2- 34x
3- 33x
4- 33x

Currently i reverted to -0 undervolting.

I'll Uninstall and re install NBFC as you suggested.

Power profile is set the way you asked... and yes i always use balance when gaming.

FXAA is not available for this game.. rest i set up the way you have asked.

Will let you know the results.

Thanks.

nab
Level 11
Try Rog Spark see if it can help your system to be more stable, you can still remove this one easily if it doesn't helpl 😉
Over usage of the Anvilnext engine and problematic system usage, I won't argue on how Ubisoft work but pushing assets/effects
and don't take a look of what could be supported and what can not, it is a real problem.
GPU deal whatever data that come in.

nab wrote:
Try Rog Spark see if it can help your system to be more stable, you can still remove this one easily if it doesn't helpl 😉
Over usage of the Anvilnext engine and problematic system usage, I won't argue on how Ubisoft work but pushing assets/effects
and don't take a look of what could be supported and what can not, it is a real problem.
GPU deal whatever data that come in.

I did see ROG Spark thread in the forums, but honestly, could not grasp much of what it does by reading the description.. could you maybe explain??

I'd like to know what it does before i give it a try..

@NitroX : I guess i found out why my system was being unstable. it seems that the last 2 cores are somehow 'tied' to each other... and hence need to be on the same multiplier... I havent been able to do and extensive test with the new setup.. but what im tryin now is -75 undervolt
and -2x on all cores from the default value.

You can just try Nab's RoG Spark anyways. It can't do anything bad to your system. I personally tested it and I have it installed since 10 days ago. I've even checked the OS integrity before and after installing the tool, so everything is fine. I also noticed a somewhat improvement in FPS stability while gaming, but I'm not yet sure of the differences.

As for the Undervolt. Even if the temps might seem the same, I assure you that they are not. Once you lower the voltage, your CPU's heat output will be reduced. Let's say that at default settings the CPU eats about 45W while gaming. With a -75mv to core and cache, the CPU power consumption will be reduced to like 38-40, therefore less heat will be produced (You know, almost 100% of the electrical energy consumed by the hardware components is eventually transformed into thermal energy which is heat).

With the Undervolt of -75mv, cores set to x34, x33, x32, x32 and NBFC for CPU, I will be amazed if your temps won't be drastically reduced.

About the last two cores being tied between each other, I really don't know. I always keep the 3 active cores and 4 active cores with the same settings.

One thing to keep in mind: The peak temperature is not a good reference point. Try looking for the changes in average temperature. Peak temperature results from very short and high bursts of CPU frequency, therefore you can have Max CPU Temp of 85C but your average temps could be 78-79C.

NitroX wrote:
You can just try Nab's RoG Spark anyways. It can't do anything bad to your system. I personally tested it and I have it installed since 10 days ago. I've even checked the OS integrity before and after installing the tool, so everything is fine. I also noticed a somewhat improvement in FPS stability while gaming, but I'm not yet sure of the differences.

As for the Undervolt. Even if the temps might seem the same, I assure you that they are not. Once you lower the voltage, your CPU's heat output will be reduced. Let's say that at default settings the CPU eats about 45W while gaming. With a -75mv to core and cache, the CPU power consumption will be reduced to like 38-40, therefore less heat will be produced (You know, almost 100% of the electrical energy consumed by the hardware components is eventually transformed into thermal energy which is heat).

With the Undervolt of -75mv, cores set to x34, x33, x32, x32 and NBFC for CPU, I will be amazed if your temps won't be drastically reduced.

About the last two cores being tied between each other, I really don't know. I always keep the 3 active cores and 4 active cores with the same settings.

One thing to keep in mind: The peak temperature is not a good reference point. Try looking for the changes in average temperature. Peak temperature results from very short and high bursts of CPU frequency, therefore you can have Max CPU Temp of 85C but your average temps could be 78-79C.

Hi, So finally a solution...

Turns out -75 is a bad number for me...-70 isn't 😛

Temps are peaking at 85-90... not crossing that. and the systems staying stable, played for over an hour and all was good. 🙂

And yes i'm aware about what u said in the last statement.. I use Afterburner's on screen display for keeping track as i could'nt find any good software that shows the average temp hw monitor only shows min/max.
as i was saying... the OSD consistently showed temps between 90-95, that's what gave me the scare.

Anyways, the problem's somewhat solved now.. and i can game without the fear of lighting my house of fire.. 😛

Thank you for all the help. 🙂