cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card failure (G74SX/GTX560m)

Majestic80
Level 7
Hi,

Just seeking a bit of advice regarding a laptop i'm trying to salvage, i'll cut to the chase, the laptop is a G74SX with a GTX560m graphics card. I've been struggling with increasingly regular 'green screen' (lines) freezing that i'm assuming is Graphics card failure.

I've hooked the laptop to an external monitor and with the green screen still visible I know it's not a screen replacement issue.

I've been told by a friend wiser than myself on such matters that the laptop is beyond repair, but before I bury it in my back garden I was wondering if there were any last options available, aside from a full motherboard replacement (what with the soldered graphics card, etc)..

Advice appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Well out of luck, the GPU is soldered directly to the MB, only the CPU is socketed.

In that case, you can try to disassembly and change the thermal paste, it could be heat related and not failure of the GPU chip.

If it doesn't solve, yes, only MB replacement is your way out, or a new machine.

Miliano
Level 9
Majestic80 wrote:
Hi,

Just seeking a bit of advice regarding a laptop i'm trying to salvage, i'll cut to the chase...

you can get a motherboard pretty cheap these days for g74sx, i upgraded mine to 3GB version for $180 AUD from Ali Express,
but i advise extreme caution when buy from that site, there are so many shonky sellers and the chances of getting ripped off are high.. and dont trust the buyer protection
to save your ass.

you also need to know a few things first.

there are different board versions;
2GB version - part number that has "2700" at the end eg: 60-N56MB2700-B07
3GB version - part number that has "2800" at the end eg:
3GB with 3D version - part number that has "2900" at the end

if your current notebook isnt the 3D model, you cant get the "2900" board as the monitor connectors wont be the same, unless you buy a 3D monitor too.
so you need "2800" board