cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL752VW] : adding an SSD drive

soulboogaloo
Level 7
Hey guys,

I know that the issue has already been discussed on this forum, but I must confess I'm kind of a rookie on that matter, so I guess I still need help!
So, I just bought a GL752VW laptop. It has a 1GB HDD, but no SSD drive in it.
I opened it, and there is an M2 available slot inside.
I've ordered a Samsung PM951 256GB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid state drive SSD (2280) on Amazon. As far as I understood, this is a model recommended by Asus themselves.
My question is: Windows 10 is already installed on my laptop, but I don't have any installation DVD. So, how am I supposed to proceed to install the SSD and install Windows 10 on it, so that I will use the HDD only for data storage, not as a system volume?

And another newbie question: I've started to learn informations on that, and found out that I'm supposed to use a mode called UEFI, that, if I understood well, now replaces the BIOS. But matter of fact, while starting the laptop, when I press the F2 key, it drives me to something that really looks like an "old fashion" BIOS, not the UEFI interface.

Once again, sorry for the rookie questions that already had been held here, but I think I'm gonna need some step-by-step help!!!
14 REPLIES 14

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes the Notebook UEFI still looks like the old BIOS, very few changes are allowed so a big UI UEFI is not needed.
Your best bet for getting your OS to your SSD would be to Clone it. I recommend Macrium Reflect Free as it will allow you to Resize your C partition to fit on the smaller SSD. Here is a video that shows you how to use MR to clone your hard drive to a SSD. If you follow this video don't convert your SSD to MBR that is a mistake and if your convert it at all go to GPT. He shows you how to shrink your C drive to fit your SSD. Insure your total used space on your hard drive is less the 150 GB or so. You can move data files off to a external drive and put them back on your Spinner once your OS is working good on your new SSD
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Hi,
thanks for the reply! I just watched the video, seems very clear!
Just one thing that seems to differ from I'm expecting to do: the guy in the vid replaces the old HDD with the SSD. In my case, I want to add the SSD, and make sure the system is booting on it instead of on the HDD.
I suppose I have something to tweak within the BIOS, right ?

Not really, I usually on reboot hit the Esc key that should bring up a boot menu, Select your new Boot manager that is associated with your new SSD, once in windows, Clean and convert your hard drive to GPT create a Logical partition, Reboot to insure your new SSD is booting, if not go into the BIOS/UEFI and set your new SSD as the first boot device. Reboot again and if your SSD boots, you can move your data back to the hard drive. Done Deal
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

jarablue
Level 7
Your PCIE SSD will not work with that laptop. Only SATA M2 SSD's work with the GL752VW. I'm surprised no one told you that. I had to go out and buy a EVO SATA M2 drive 500gb. Sorry 😞

jarablue wrote:
Your PCIE SSD will not work with that laptop. Only SATA M2 SSD's work with the GL752VW. I'm surprised no one told you that. I had to go out and buy a EVO SATA M2 drive 500gb. Sorry 😞

Yes, Jarablue, unfortunately for me, you're right! Received my SSD yesterday and it was not recognized by the BIOS/UEFI 😞
Sent it back to Amazon, and ordered another one, this time I've ordered this :
Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen3 8Gb/s x4 Solid state drive SSD (2280), NVME (MZVPV256HDGL-00000)
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B015CWQY4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
As somewhere on this forum, I saw that it was the only one recommended by Asus. However, I'm a bit confused by the fact that some people, including yourself, as saying that only SATA M2 SSD will work...
As far as I understand, there are 2 different motherboards existing on this model? Bought mine in Europe (France), hope it'll work with the new one I've ordered (which obviously is PCIe, not SATA), otherwise I'll try my luck for a 3rd time with a SATA one...

soulboogaloo wrote:
Yes, Jarablue, unfortunately for me, you're right! Received my SSD yesterday and it was not recognized by the BIOS/UEFI 😞
Sent it back to Amazon, and ordered another one, this time I've ordered this :
Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen3 8Gb/s x4 Solid state drive SSD (2280), NVME (MZVPV256HDGL-00000)
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B015CWQY4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
As somewhere on this forum, I saw that it was the only one recommended by Asus. However, I'm a bit confused by the fact that some people, including yourself, as saying that only SATA M2 SSD will work...
As far as I understand, there are 2 different motherboards existing on this model? Bought mine in Europe (France), hope it'll work with the new one I've ordered (which obviously is PCIe, not SATA), otherwise I'll try my luck for a 3rd time with a SATA one...

Just like Pandur said, that SSD also will not work. You ordered a PCIE M2 SSD which doesn't work in that laptop. You have to order a SATA M2 SSD. Do not order a PCIE M2 SSD! The one you just ordered will have to go back as well.

Jarablue and Pandur, I understand what you said. However, does it mean that some other threads on this forum provide wrong informations related to this issue?
For instance, here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW a member called Aeolisio metnions the PCIe version as working.
And here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW&p=557332&view... user named Clintlgm said this is the only model tested and approved...

So I must admit I'm a bit confused...

Just in case, I've also ordered a SATA version, I will see which one is recognized my model... Like many other users already said, it would have been nice to get a bit more support from Asus anyways...

Pandur
Level 10
Hate to break this to you, but you've ordered basically the same SSD twice. The difference between PM951 and SM951 is the NAND chips used. They're both PCIE SSDs.

You need a SATA3 M.2 SSD for your laptop. Something like the Samsung 850 EVO, in your preferred size, is the correct fit for you.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

jrbdmb
Level 7
There was a great deal of misinformation on what m.2 SSDs work with the GL552VW, even ASUS listed PCie on their specifications!

But the GL552VW specs have now been corrected, and only SATA m.2 is supported. I installed one (Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB) immediately after getting my new GL552VW and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Note that I used the Samsung utility to migrate the OS to the m.2 drive and that worked with no issues.