cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Really silly Theoretic Ram Build

Veovis
Level 10
Given that prices for DDR3 Ram have gone down I'm asking this to see if it has any Merrit, this is for a theoretical build. (That or when the next ram comes out making DDR4 Affordable)

The plan is to section off some ram and use it as a drive from the boards that support it (64gb, 128 gb or 256gb ram) and save a game to it. For example if I had 64 GB ram in DDR4 or DDR3, I'd section off about 48 GB and put Witcher 3 on it or something to that effect.

What it should do is use RAMs fast access speed to decode and translate the game files to be playable at a much faster speed (approx 20-30X) than SSD. This would mean that the bottleneck would be the processor and reduce most hangups with traditional loading as far as user hardware is concerned.

Question is, is this viable or is there a hangup I'm missing? From what I've understand from some legacy computer engineers there should be a way to treat ram as a hard drive as it was used to cheat load times for vast ammounts of number crunching.
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
It would be interesting to compare the loading times of a game on a RAMDisk against a NVMe drive to see if the difference is really noticeable.

To put things into perspective, the cheapest 4 x 16GB kit goes for $299.99. The Samsung 950 PRO 256GB costs $179.99. So if the difference in loading time isn't that great, the Samsung 950 PRO would be the better choice considering it's already a very fast drive offering more space and $120 cheaper than a 64GB kit. With the size of games constantly increasing, I wouldn't be surprised to see games exceeding 48GB in size which would make a RAMDisk useless.

Veovis
Level 10
I talked to a few gamers in meat-space (The real world), there's a few ways to go about it if you have enough ram. Basically you need a program that can copy the game to ram from a drive (It exists), since installing just one the ram could be lost as soon as the power goes out or on a shut down. I'm going to give this a try on a few lower memory games as I currently have 16gb but if it works then It could remove some bottlenecks for FPS.