ROG Member Array

Tweaking for Pro Audio - Device Manager vs. Services.msc

I am new to the forum so a big hello !

Just got a new G752VW-D71 for professional audio. Specifically music composition using VST instruments and plug-ins within Cubase 8.5 Pro - 64bit.

Out-of-the-box, the 752 was performing very poorly. Huge latency...over 1000ms as measured by dpc latency checker & off-the-charts hard pagefault counts as measured by resplendence latency monitor. In practical terms, for "realtime" audio use, this means that "other" processes are preempting CPU cycles & RAM usage.
    In effect, this i76700HQ, with 16GB of 2133 RAM and a Crucial M.2 500Gb SSD for the OS and a Samsung 2.5" - 2TB SSD for Sample Storage is performing significantly worse than my custom built ADK i7920 Desktop.

I'm looking forward to trying the ROG Spark application as it may have some impact on the Nvidia driver and reduce latancy...hopefully a lot....probably a little.
    But, besides that, I'm in the process of doing a complete Windows 10 RESET and will embark upon "tweaking" the laptop HEAVILY for audio use.

When the same service, let's say Bluetooth, is available in both the Device Manager & in services.msc, which is better to turn-it-off ? Some will say that services.msc is the better option...my laptop "will be happier" but why ?
    Any thoughts ?
    Last edited by eightyeightkeys; 03-19-2016 at 09:59 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
    I am new to the forum so a big hello !

Just got a new G752VW-D71 for professional audio. Specifically music composition using VST instruments and plug-ins within Cubase 8.5 Pro - 64bit.

Out-of-the-box, the 752 was performing very poorly. Huge latency...over 1000ms as measured by dpc latency checker & off-the-charts hard pagefault counts as measured by resplendence latency monitor. In practical terms, for "realtime" audio use, this means that "other" processes are preempting CPU cycles & RAM usage.
    In effect, this i76700HQ, with 16GB of 2133 RAM and a Crucial M.2 500Gb SSD for the OS and a Samsung 2.5" - 2TB SSD for Sample Storage is performing significantly worse than my custom built ADK i7920 Desktop.

I'm looking forward to trying the ROG Spark application as it may have some impact on the Nvidia driver and reduce latancy...hopefully a lot....probably a little.
    But, besides that, I'm in the process of doing a complete Windows 10 RESET and will embark upon "tweaking" the laptop HEAVILY for audio use.

When the same service, let's say Bluetooth, is available in both the Device Manager & in services.msc, which is better to turn-it-off ? Some will say that services.msc is the better option...my laptop "will be happier" but why ?
    Any thoughts ?
    Have you installed Asio drivers? Please install them and select it in your audio preferences in cubase or on any draw. I tried using fl studio but it triggers fans to full speed. Any other daw I've tried seems to work just fine.