cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am officially done with ASUS and will never touch their products again

Dysternaut
Level 7
I have always liked ASUS, and have bought many of their products over the last 10+ years. My impression has always been that they were a quality brand. An impression they have now thoroughly smashed to itty bitty pieces. Here's my story, which consists of two main parts.

Part 1: Quality
I bought a PG279Q monitor from a local internet retailer here in Denmark a few months ago. A very expensive piece of equipment which I was very psyched to be able to afford after some time saving up for it.

When I get it, it has terrible light bleed in the bottom right corner and a dead pixel. I contact the store, but they want me to send it in and wait for them to sort it out. So I try contacting Asus directly and send along some pictures of the problems. They send me a replacement, and my first unit was returned in the same process. Nice service!

The second unit is worse, even more bleed and another dead pixel. I’m crushed. So I contact Asus again, and once again I get a replacement and mine is returned. The third has the exact same problem, worse than the first, but not as bad as the second. I give up and return it after Asus agrees to provide me with my money back. It takes over a month for the refund to be processed all the way back to the store where I bought it, but I finally get my money.

I am severely shocked by the quality issue with these monitors, especially considering what they cost! And reading up on this forum just indicates to me that this is a very big problem. So much for Asus being good quality hardware.

Part 2: Service
A year ago I bought a ROG G20AJ desktop computer, which I was very happy with for the first six months, especially after installing Windows 10 instead of that abysmal Windows 8. However, it started to be unstable. Sometimes, about 1 out 7 times, it would present a blue screen error 0xc0000225 and the message that “Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.” Only way to get it to boot up was to hit the power button again, wait a few secs and try again. When the error occurs, the SSD disk in the computer was not to be seen in the BIOS, it seems the problem was related to that SSD.

I start a case with Asus, and they provide me with a few things I can try in the BIOS, but the problem persists, and also starts occurring more often. The Asus rep, who has not been particular courteous or service minded, but who has at least tried to help me with a few suggestions, finally suggests we send it in for service. I discuss the warranty with him, as I would like to check myself if it is just a loose cable, but alas, I cannot open the case without voiding the warranty.

I fiddle about Asus’s RMA website for a good while, trying to get it to accept my inputted data. After some trial and error, it finally gets through. I had to cut my problem description in half, due to their RMA form severely limiting the number of characters you can enter. I copy pasted from my original problem description on the case, but had to cut it down a lot due to the limitation. As a precaution, I put all screenshots and the full description on the desktop of a newly created Windows user with the name “ASUS Support” which I also set the machine to autologin to after clearing it of my own data. It’s sent off for service in Sweden.

The unit is returned to me fairly quick. I packaged it very well when I sent it off, but what I get in return is not nearly packaged as well. It seems to have survived the journey though, so I unpack it. The computer itself is VERY dirty, dusty and riddle with smudged black fingerprints. Luckily no scratches or anything else severe, but I spend about 15 minutes cleaning it. I’m glad it got back to me in one piece, as the box looks like it’s been through a war zone.

I boot it up and it boots up in Windows 8.1 just fine. No problem, I can reinstall Windows 10 myself. However, I soon discover that the operating system is installed on the 1 TB harddrive in the system, and the SSD drive is nowhere to be found in either Device Manager or BIOS. So I sent in the system with an unstable SSD and got it back with NO SSD. Fantastic!

I’m a patient man, but after this I am pissed off. So I write Asus a complaint by way of their website, and explain the case in details and how I was returned a more broken product than I sent in for service. I get a snide reply in return, which in no way apologizes or anything like that, but just blatantly blames the whole ordeal on my problem description! I swear to god, I have steam coming out of my ears at this point.

I write an 8 paragraph long mail back (about as long as this forum post), explaining how this can in no way be my fault, and how I would expect just a small amount of courtesy and service mindedness on their part. I just got a short answer that it needs to be sent in for service again. That was the straw that broke this camels back. I am through with Asus. I am never buying one of their products again, and I will never recommend anyone to go near their products when they ask for my advice on buying hardware. I am also dreading what kind of state my computer will be in this time, when I get it back.

I also tried reaching out to the guy working at Asus Nordic (who are behind all my correspondence with Asus) which handled my LCD monitor case, for at least he had some courtesy and seemed very service minded. But I was told he is no longer with Asus. Can’t say that it surprises me that the one guy I had contact with who was decent at his job is now fired or has moved on.

So just let this be a warning to anyone else buying Asus products in the nordic countries of europe. You better pray to god your hardware doesn’t fail you. I was actually considering the PG278Q after my incident with the PG279Q, but before my computer broke. Now I’m going to be avoiding all Asus products like the plague they are.

And to everyone who has read through all that… thank you for listening to my tale of Asus woe. Peace out!
32 REPLIES 32

jex40
Level 7
You're not alone... It's just taken me 2 weeks with ASUS support with unpronounceable names who know diddley-squat about M.2 storage devices or even what the part numbers mean in their own QVL for the ASUS 970 Gaming Pro/Aura and I'm looking for the exit.

quark54
Level 8
I feel for you lads, how frustrating.

I had a similar incident. I purchased a £700 Asus monitor from a UK supplier. When it arrived the box had been opened. I fired it up only to find the screen was totally shattered internally. Basically they had sent me someone else's cast off, a returned, defective product. I returned it of course, but had to wait a month before my money was back in my account. No apology at all.

So not an Asus issue for me, but from my own experience I know how bloody angry this stuff can make a person.

Been buying from asus for over 10 years and not one issue and i have just about everything they offer from motherboard to monitor to router to laptop to keyboards to mouse i mean just about everything ROG Never failed me but i only buy direct ......

Asus121 wrote:
Been buying from asus for over 10 years and not one issue and i have just about everything they offer from motherboard to monitor to router to laptop to keyboards to mouse i mean just about everything ROG Never failed me but i only buy direct ......

Sorry, but I fail to see your point?

I may not have bought directly from Asus, but my horrible support experience was handled directly by Asus. You've just been lucky not to have to deal with their support.

Besides, don't even think buying directly from Asus is an option in my country.

Dysternaut wrote:
Sorry, but I fail to see your point?

I may not have bought directly from Asus, but my horrible support experience was handled directly by Asus. You've just been lucky not to have to deal with their support.

Besides, don't even think buying directly from Asus is an option in my country.

Never had a issue with their support either....but maybe its just in ur country lol dont take it the wrong way but i dont think asus would send u something back dusty n dirty i just got my girls laptop back from asus she dropped coffee on the keyboard they replaced it free just paid for shipping and i got it back nice and clean so i doubt asus would do that on any product

Asus121 wrote:
Never had a issue with their support either....but maybe its just in ur country lol dont take it the wrong way but i dont think asus would send u something back dusty n dirty i just got my girls laptop back from asus she dropped coffee on the keyboard they replaced it free just paid for shipping and i got it back nice and clean so i doubt asus would do that on any product

You could have a point. Maybe it is only Asus's support in the nordic countries that is abysmal, as I can only speak about my dealings with them, and not how it is handled in other countries.

Doesn't change that it IS Asus, a subbranch maybe if you will, but they still represent the company name. So I still wouldn't even recommend my worst enemy to buy an Asus product at this point, at least in a nordic country.

AlexB121
Level 7
Buy Straight from ASUS only and not retail supplier and ur problem is solved

Veovis
Level 10
Hunh, I'd argue that this is a good reason to just avoid that particular monitor and desktop series. But not a reason to abandon the Asus line (like if you're building a computer or need a router or something that isn't those two products.)

That said, thanks for the information and I'll be sure to be wary of asus products during a launch and be darn well sure to look over the new technology for flaws during a press release.

The absurdities of their support and service continues. I have now gotten my machine back from the second service trip. They have finally replaced the SSD disk and the machine seems to be wortking now.

The machine was dusty and dirty again when I received it though, and after cleaning it, I found one very noticeable white scuff mark on the side of the case, a small but noticeable scratch on the other side and a notch, probably from tool, on the side of the plastic on the bottom of the case.

Have written their support once again (for god knows what time by now) and sent them pictures of the damages.

To be continued...

Veovis wrote:
Hunh, I'd argue that this is a good reason to just avoid that particular monitor and desktop series. But not a reason to abandon the Asus line (like if you're building a computer or need a router or something that isn't those two products.)

That said, thanks for the information and I'll be sure to be wary of asus products during a launch and be darn well sure to look over the new technology for flaws during a press release.

I kinda get where you're coming from, but that sort of only applies to my case about the three defective monitors I have received. When it comes to their complete and utter failure when it comes to support and service, there is no excuse and it reflects directly on the brand.

I have worked as an IT supporter for 9 years myself, and I'm positive that if I had addressed paying customer the way Asus support have addressed me, I would have been fired within a week!