cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G75V How to choose the right SSD

Nem3sis
Level 7
Hey guys,

First of all, let me start by letting you know that I am very ignorant when it comes to hardware and thus, this post.
A few days ago my HDD burned, I am currently choosing an SSD to purchase (order online), but I don't know where to start from. Could you give me some guides?
For starters I have underlined a few questions:
1. How do you differentiate between an SSD drive that is for notebooks and SSD drives that are for desktop machines?
2. Do all SSD drives for notebooks fit in the hard disk slots of the RoG G75V? If not, which parameters should I look for (size, or cable connection)?
3. What specs should I consider when choosing an SSD? Please give some tips/suggestions.
4. Anything else I need to know before I make my order?

I apologize if the questions seem silly, and thank you for your help!
4 REPLIES 4

Pandur
Level 10
If you're looking for a replacement for the 2.5" HDD then I suggest going with a 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO of your preferred size. It will fit and it's the most bang for the buck these days. At least where I live.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Thanks, I will look it up!

I just noticed most are offered in a bundles with some extra cables, screws, etc. I am not going to need these right?
Also, what do you think of the Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) Solid State Drive?
🙂

Pandur
Level 10
Yeah you don't need cables or anything. Especially since your old hdd burned so there's nothing to backup or anything. 😞

I have no personal experience with that Kingston V300. But looking at the specs it's a bit slower than the Samsung one. But it should do fine honestly. And Kingston is a good brand. So feel free to get that if it's cheaper than the Samsung.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Clintlgm
Level 14
1. there are no differences in SSD for desktops and notebooks
2. Yes SSD in the 2.5 x 9.5 or 9 or 7 will all fit in your notebook no cables are needed. Look in your manual and you find direction on how to change out a hard drive Asus Support Downloads digital copy will be found there.
3.Samsung is the best either EVO or PRO 256GB is a good size for you OS and important software. If you don't have a 2nd drive it would be good to put one in like a 1 TB 7200 rpm spinner for your less used software and data files.
4. Check Amazon and Newegg Tiger direct Fry's for the best prices One of them usually has a sale going on.
Here is another link that will be helpful for you installing window 8.1 or 7 or 10, I don't recommend ten to start with as is can be difficult to find working driver for 10. 7 8 and 8.1 have drivers on the download site I linkd you too. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-..., That link is on the G752 sub forum but should show you the way to clean install UEFI. I recommend that you install 8.1 you may need these Generic Keys to get the install started Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
Windows 8.1 Core 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
If you want to install window 7 this link will show you how to install 7 UEFI
here is a Thread in the G75 VW and G75 VX on upgrading and downgrading lots of specific information on the G75

Download 8.1 install media or ISO from Microsoft

Download window 7 install media or ISO
Download window 10 install media or ISO here

Hope all this helps
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A