cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene will not shut down

DaveImagery
Level 9
Hi everyone,

As of about a week ago, I've been having an issue where my system will not shut down. It proceeds to, but then a few seconds after the fans shut off, it reboots. I have gone through any Windows settings that could be causing the problem. Disabling/Enabling fast startup in power settings didn't make any difference. I can put the computer to sleep, and manually restart it no problem, it just will not shut down. I have to resort to throwing the switch on the PSU.

I've done extensive troubleshooting, and have narrowed it down to some sort of prob with the board itself. At the risk of boring everyone, I'll run down what I've all done. To start off, I wanted to eliminate any possibility that my problem is Windows related, I disconnected all drives, and loaded Linux onto a new SSD I purchased for my wifes system. Installation, bootup, and running Linux was all fine. Until that is, attempting to shutdown. Exact same problem occurs. Linux will proceed to shutdown, but then immediately restart. Thinking perhaps my bios got corrupted somehow, I re-flashed latest bios, loaded optimized defaults, but again no change. Close examination of the board revealed no bad capacitors or any other obvious damage. My 3770k has been sitting happily in it's socket for years, but figured I would inspect for bent pins anyway. Chip and socket look fine. To go a step further, I threw in another (known working) 3770k in it's place, no change. Still restarts on it's own. I then tried different ram, and loading one stick at at time, then testing, to see if a particular dim slot was bad. No problems there, ram and dim slots appear to be fine. I also swapped out power supplies, again no change. Now with the board completely out of the chassis and on top of the motherboard box, I disconnected everything. All USB headers, audio, and front panel connectors. So it is now just the board, cpu, and one stick of ram, in the designated spot for 1 dimm usage, and a fresh installation of Windows. This time, opting to use a WD mechanical hard drive. Once again no change. This is beyond anything I can diagnose. My skills are very limited.

Finally, I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with an ASUS tech rep, who determined the board is just bad, and warrants replacement. Problem is, ASUS doesn't stock z77 boards anymore, or at least not my Maximus V Gene. So a cross shipment RMA is not possible, and if the board is not repairable, they would send me a similar z77 board, but not necessarily an ROG board. I have two months left, of the 3 year warranty.

Would greatly appreciate any insight you might have. Thank you.

My specs:

ASUS Maximus V Gene (Z77)
i7 3770k @4.6Ghz (watercooled)
EVGA GTX 980ti
Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb x2 raid 0
WD Black 4tb storage x2
Corsair 860i PSU
16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133mhz
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit v1511 Build 10586.164
Fractal Define Mini case
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello DaveImagery

I have something for you to try but I'm not guaranteeing a fix.

Click start, type in sysdm.cpl and press enter, this should bring up system properties. Click on the advanced tab then under "start up and recovery" click the settings button. Under system failure UNcheck "automatically restart".

If this fixes you your system is likely crashing when shutting down and could point to an unstable overclock. You could try clearing the cmos and see if that stops the restarts.

If this doesn't fix you try a system restore to an earlier point where it was working properly.

DaveImagery
Level 9
Hi Nate152,

Thanks for replying. Turns out I've already done that. Funny thing is, if you Google Windows 10 shutdown problem, numerous people report this problem, and there's no shortage of supposed fixes. I thought by eliminating Windows all together, and running Linux on a different drive, I kinda ruled out it being a problem with Windows? Perhaps not, like I said earlier, I'm a bit of a novice. This sure is frustrating though.

Perhaps I should attempt another shutdown, and then view what's in the system log? Thought I did that already, and didn't see anything. Worth trying again I suppose.

DaveImagery
Level 9
Hi Nate152,

Thanks for replying. Turns out I've already done that. Funny thing is, if you Google Windows 10 shutdown problem, numerous people report this problem, and there's no shortage of supposed fixes. I thought by eliminating Windows all together, and running Linux on a different drive, I kinda ruled out it being a problem with Windows? Perhaps not, like I said earlier, I'm a bit of a novice. This sure is frustrating though.

I will attempt another shutdown, and see if anything appears in the system log in event viewer.

Nate152
Have you tried clearing the cmos? It could be your overclock is unstable.

Something else to try is disabling wake on LAN.

Yeah, not only did I clear cmos, I re-flashed the bios. Then loaded system defaults. Interestingly, it will do the same thing, if I attempt to shutdown from safemode. Looking at the Windows log in event viewer after I just performed another shutdown attempt, doesn't really show much. Only an error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first"

Nate152 wrote:
Have a read through this and see if this helps you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

Thank you Nate for all the assistance. Will give it a good read when I get back home tomorrow.

Cheers 🙂

Nate152

DaveImagery
Level 9
Update:

Nothing I've tried has worked. I'm seriously about to just yank the board, and build my dream X99 system. Either that, or take a hammer to it. 🙂