cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Xpert 3 does not recognizing fans connected to the Asus fan extension card.

teknic111
Level 7
Fan Xpert 3 does not recognizing fans connected to the Asus fan extension card that came with my Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard. I have 3 Corsair AF140 fans connected to the card. All fans are recognizable and adjustable through the bios.

How do I get Fan Xpert 3 to recognize my fans?

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

hiong
Level 8
try clicking on Fan Tuning in Fan Xpert 3?

I did that. It still does not recognize the fans connected to the card.

I also noticed that while I am able to control the speed of each fan in the bios, the bios does not show me the RPMs. I am running the latest available bios (1504).

hiong
Level 8
how did you mount the fan extension card? is it possible that the back of it is in contact with a metal surface, and something is being shorted? I have 3 non-PWM fans on my M8E fan extension as well, no issue with Fax Xpert 3.

The fan extension card is mounted in the basement of my case ( CaseLabs Magnum SMH10). There is absolutely nothing shorting it.

I contacted Asus support and was told that the fan extension card is not compatible with the current version of AI Suite III for Windows 10. I really find this hard to believe since the fan extension card is nothing new and has been shipping with various Asus motherboards for years now. The support rep did not sound competent at all and I think he just told me this to get me off the phone.

Can someone confirm for me if this is BS or not?

Thanks in advance!

teknic111 wrote:
The fan is mounted in the basement of my case ( CaseLabs Magnum SMH10). There is absolutely nothing shorting it.

I contacted Asus support and was told that the fan extension card is not compatible with the current version of AI Suite III for Windows 10. I really find this hard to believe since the fan extension card is nothing new and has been shipping with various Asus motherboards for years now. The support rep did not sound competent at all and I think he just told me this to get me off the phone.

Thanks in advance!

I'm asking about the mounting of the fan extension card, not the fans. the back of the fan extension card is exposed PCB, thus will be susceptible to shorts. I think the fan extension card is designed to be mounted in a 5.25" bay, using the tiny L-brackets provided.

AI Suite III works fine on my Windows 10, including Fan Xpert 3 within the suite.

hiong wrote:
I'm asking about the mounting of the fan extension card, not the fans.

Sorry, I meant to say the fan extension card is mounted in the basement of my case, not the fan. Typo on my part.

AI Suite III works fine on my Windows 10, including Fan Xpert 3 within the suite.

I have noticed that while I am able to control the fan speed in the bios, the bios does not read the RPMs of the fans connect to the fan extension card. Are you able to see the RPMs of your fans?

teknic111 wrote:
The fan extension card is mounted in the basement of my case ( CaseLabs Magnum SMH10). There is absolutely nothing shorting it.

Thanks in advance!

The Fan extension card works with or without Windows 10. There is no driver needed for the card to work or to show up in Fan Expert 3. If you have connected the fan extension card properly ( the small connector for motherboard and the molex) it should show up in Fan Expert 3. Try to pull the motherboard connector carefully out and reseat it on both ends (motherboard and Fan card). Use a flashlight to check if it's connected correct. It seems like a connection problem and by that Fan Exoert 3 can't see the fans.

As of why the Corsair fans not being rekognized could be related to bad connections. These corsair fans are 4 pin PWM. The old fan you connected is for sure only 3 pin. 1 pin on the 4 pin fan is PWM and if your connection to the motherboard is bad or not connected properly, it could be the reason.

I have the Fan extension card and 3 fans connected. All 3 fans shows up in Fan Expert 3 ( Corsair Pro 140 mm) The problem is not Corsair fans.

emsir wrote:
The Fan extension card works with or without Windows 10. There is no driver needed for the card to work or to show up in Fan Expert 3. If you have connected the fan extension card properly ( the small connector for motherboard and the molex) it should show up in Fan Expert 3. Try to pull the motherboard connector carefully out and reseat it on both ends (motherboard and Fan card). Use a flashlight to check if it's connected correct. It seems like a connection problem and by that Fan Exoert 3 can't see the fans.

As of why the Corsair fans not being rekognized could be related to bad connections. These corsair fans are 4 pin PWM. The old fan you connected is for sure only 3 pin. 1 pin on the 4 pin fan is PWM and if your connection to the motherboard is bad or not connected properly, it could be the reason.

I have the Fan extension card and 3 fans connected. All 3 fans shows up in Fan Expert 3 ( Corsair Pro 140 mm) The problem is not Corsair fans.

Agreed it isn't the Corsair fans I have 8 of them in my case and three on the fan Ext. But I did have to change all those fans from PWM to DC in BIOS to have them seen properly.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop