cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cpu overvoltage error

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

I'm asking this because i saw that question in another thread and i think it could benefit him/community to know the answer. He rebooted (after modifying settings in bios) and got that error. Cpu voltage was at 1.7v. Question is :

Does the board REALY applies that voltage knowing it's dangerous ?

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift
40 REPLIES 40

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The first rule of the RVE spontaneous overvoltage club is you don't talk about the RVE spontaneous overvoltage club

At least no one from ASUS has ever addressed a single post on this subject....there are many

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?62963-Dead-CPU-unidentified-LED
http://www.overclock.net/forum/newestpost/1561131

I have swapped out a board over this...others rely on Intel performance protection plan...or both

GoNz0-
Level 10
Asus do not care as it only blows a CPU so it isn't a problem to them.

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

Wtf is this! So the board applies the crazy 1.7v without any protection? This is nuts. Not a single chip would run on that a single day.

Max

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey,

Wtf is this! So the board applies the crazy 1.7v without any protection? This is nuts. Not a single chip would run on that a single day.

Max

Hence they tend to blow the chip when it happens, but let's face it, when was the last time you saw an official Asus support member in here, and more to the point when did you get one that gave a toss?

They are so good they tell you the case is at fault EVEN AFTER you tell them you already tried the board out of the case to rule that out.

Intelligent.

samboy87
Level 9
Yes i got traumathised from it! i dont touch the overclock anymore 😞 i didn't play with the voltages. everything was running perfect! 4.25ghz Vcore1.152/1.152v Vcache and 0.856 VCCSA, 3000mhz Ram with timings @ CL14-14-14-34 2T. everything was perfectly stable. only thing i did change was tighter timings without upping the voltages to 14-14-14-34 1T that little change! and a reboot. everything loaded fine before it went in to OS, i got a message! Overclocking failed!/Voltage Failed! and i saw the voltages under it. it stood @ 1.3 and ramped up to 1.7 in 3 seconds! and i saw the temps rising like lava! from 25c to 98c in a few seconds! 5-6 seconds after i just pulled out the cord! and was praying that my CPU still worked.

I did a CMOS reset directly and inserted the power cord and bam. everything was up and running. thought i couldn't get 3000mhz stable on the ram , so i opened up the case and reinserted my ramsticks and voila. still up and running but now on 3.750Ghz/3.375Ghz @ 1.152/1.152 , VCCSA @ 0.848 and Ram @ 3000mhz 15-15-15-35 1.35v stable.

i still wonder what in gods name happend with the voltages! I hope my CPU didn't get degraded 😞
now i will never leave my PC 24/7! otherwise i got a house on fire.

this board was ment for the best overclocking experience. but it's more like the best ''Overvolt and kill the processor experience'' come on Asus , step up your game. it's one of the most expansive motherboards/enthusiast platform. i thought Asus and ''ROG'' was for the best performance, reability and stability! this is not accepteble!

Guys, the next motherboard from Asus X99 wont be the black edition , it will be the Asus Voltage Tripper VI X99 for the upcoming Broadwell-E , you will get Burning fast CPU speeds! literally Burning!

samboy87 wrote:
Yes i got traumathised from it! i dont touch the overclock anymore 😞 i didn't play with the voltages. everything was running perfect! 4.25ghz Vcore1.152/1.152v Vcache and 0.856 VCCSA, 3000mhz Ram with timings @ CL14-14-14-34 2T. everything was perfectly stable. only thing i did change was tighter timings without upping the voltages to 14-14-14-34 1T that little change! and a reboot. everything loaded fine before it went in to OS, i got a message! Overclocking failed!/Voltage Failed! and i saw the voltages under it. it stood @ 1.3 and ramped up to 1.7 in 3 seconds! and i saw the temps rising like lava! from 25c to 98c in a few seconds! 5-6 seconds after i just pulled out the cord! and was praying that my CPU still worked.

I did a CMOS reset directly and inserted the power cord and bam. everything was up and running. thought i couldn't get 3000mhz stable on the ram , so i opened up the case and reinserted my ramsticks and voila. still up and running but now on 3.750Ghz/3.375Ghz @ 1.152/1.152 , VCCSA @ 0.848 and Ram @ 3000mhz 15-15-15-35 1.35v stable.

i still wonder what in gods name happend with the voltages! I hope my CPU didn't get degraded 😞
now i will never leave my PC 24/7! otherwise i got a house on fire.

this board was ment for the best overclocking experience. but it's more like the best ''Overvolt and kill the processor experience'' come on Asus , step up your game. it's one of the most expansive motherboards/enthusiast platform. i thought Asus and ''ROG'' was for the best performance, reability and stability! this is not accepteble!

Guys, the next motherboard from Asus X99 wont be the black edition , it will be the Asus Voltage Tripper VI X99 for the upcoming Broadwell-E , you will get Burning fast CPU speeds! literally Burning!

Most people in here for good reason won't buy asus again.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I don't know what to think about this whole debacle.

I'll say up front that I find the lack of support or even a comment from ASUS on this unsettling. Unacceptable.

There are plenty of people who don't know what they are doing OCing and blame their board for the untimely death of their CPUs and pets etc. But the number of similar stories on this are too many to be coincidence IMO.

What is happening...who knows...without some informed support from ASUS, and there is none, there is only speculation.

FIVR on CPU bad idea? Probably..Intel changing that...
VRM components got some bug? International Rectifier got a load of killer digital driver/mosfets
BIOS bug? Vid bug?

All of the above together?

Have seen this happen at stock...OCd...XMP only...whole range of PSUs...can't see much in common other than the board.

I went out and tried MSI and Gigabyte boards and in the end have a new Rampage V Extreme...at the end of the day it is the best X99 board out there for OCing for most people. Wish that wasn't so and I could flounce off and never look at another ASUS board again...which may be what they deserve....but...

The last point...OverClocking is a risk sport...you have to accept that. It is not a given that you can just do it and have no problems.

"a man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way"

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

Lol arne made me laugh! Anyways it just happened to me yesterday, what a coincidence. It happened on a normal reboot and i had the error "overvoltage" i quickly went to the bios and the cpu voltage was at 1.7v instead of 1.2v. Changed it back to 1.2v and resetted as fast as possible. It seems there's no harm done. second time it happens for me, first was on 802 i think. Anyways, a little word from asus would ease our frustration i guess.

What a coincidence...

Max

It looks like we cant overclock with this board without glitching the hell out of this board. Voltages trippin.
I think it's the rampage type of orgasm? Once you overclock, it will cum in high voltages.
Or maybe an collaboration with intel? Before the release of Broadwell-E. Voltagetrippin the hell out of the 5000series. 🙂
The rampage v is like freddy krouger 1-2 freddy coming for you. To put that cpu to sleep and kill it in it's dream, sure as hell the Cpu biggest nightmare is to be putted in a rampage v socket!:D