Thread: My First Build

Threaded View

New ROGer Array

My First Build

Hey everyone!

I just want to start off by saying thank you for letting me be a part of the community and I cannot wait for this build!

So I have been an avid gamer since I was a little kid, now 22 years old. I've always had consoles, just hit the ten year mark on my xbox live membership. The point is, that I love gaming, but I have yet to try PC gaming. I have a couple hours of PC gaming under my belt from Gaming Cafés and such. But I do not know much about the internals and hardware, and just actually building a PC. So I started researching for the past week or so, and read the building guide here, which is a really good pamphlet. Now I'm confident enough in myself to start ordering parts. So last night I began ordering the main components. I ordered a Corsair Air 540 case, a WD Caviar Blue 1TB, and a Crucial XB200 SSD. Here is some quick info on my build.

Budget: $500-$1,000
    Main uses of intended build: GAMING
    Parts required: MOBO, RAM, GPU, CPU, PSU, additional cooling?.
    Previous build information (list details of parts): This will be my first build
    Monitor resolution: Not Complete
    Storage requirements: atleast 1TB hard drive
    Will you be overclocking: I don't fully understand this concept.
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Upgradeability, I don't fully understand motherboards yet.

Extra information about desired system: I have a budget that is easy to work with, but that doesn't mean I have to spend every dollar in my budget. I have only a couple concerns. One, I don't want un-reliable equipment. Although I want budget priced equipment, I don't want the quality lacking. Basically, I want my hardware to be budget oriented, quality, and reliable. Two, I game for long periods of time. So cooling is important to me. Three, graphics and framerate mean as much to me as any real enthusiast. I don't need ultra graphics, but I want to enjoy the game still. Four, I want upgradability. I don't want to have to scrap all my hardware in 6 months, I want something that I can work with.

Ive heard a lot of things about motherboards, which is what I'm on the fence about. I know I want to go intel, and I was thinking about getting the SKylake i5-6400 with either an ASUS, MSI, or AsRock motherboard. As far as graphics card I was thinking of the MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G. Then I was going to buy a monitor, keyboard, and mouse after the build because I already have equipment that could work for now, until I know my build operates properly.

The above components I want or have purchased seem ,to me, to be the best bang for your buck. I'm sure I am not fully correct, as I'm a complete n00b. So please correct me, guide me, and help me transition into the PC world. I take constructive criticism well. Again, thanks for letting me be a part of this community, and I cant wait for this build and to share it with y'all!
    Last edited by gridiron504; 03-23-2016 at 01:44 PM.