cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean windows 10 installation on G550J notebook

Atanari
Level 7
Hello there,

I have a Asus ROG G550J, and after upgrading to Windows 10 I've been having a lot of driver issues.
I'm thinking I should do a clean installation of Windows 10, but seeing as I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to stuff like that,
I'm a little nervous about diving into it.
My primary concern is finding the correct drivers for everything once I complete the installation, due to the fact that when I search
for drivers for my notebook I only seem to find results concerning similar (Such as the J550JX and J550JK)
but not quite my exact model, which worries me.
Are there anyone out there who has experience doing something like this to the model I have, or who knows how I should go about it?
2 REPLIES 2

cdma2k
Level 7
Do not worry, build 1511 of win 10 is pretty stable
do the clean install, then install driver/software if needed

Gps3dx
Level 12
Atanari wrote:
Hello there,
I have a Asus ROG G550J, and after upgrading to Windows 10 I've been having a lot of driver issues.

Hi there Atanari.
Asus administrators have changed the forum structure in the past days, so there might be threads that you didn't see before in your sub-forum.
one of them is a sticky thread about "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)".
I suggest you read the first few posts as it can assist you to understand better what's going on when you clean install your OS.

In most cases, nowadays, there isn't something "special" about one's laptop model then the other.
many of ROG laptops of the same main line, like G550, got almost the same hardware, and even if it's a bit different, usually same driver is needed.
In that same thread I linked above, you can see few links for drivers that it is better to get them NOT from asus official support page.
Your model ( at least some sub-models of it ) got windows 10 official support from asus.... this is mainly for the ATK, utillities, touchpad drivers etc..
Any missing driver that doesn't appear under win10 downloads area, can be found on the win 8.1 download area, which should be compatible with win10.
there is also an option to search for the latest missing driver from asus, that usually are published for other models ( like the GPU tweaking app, ATK package etc... )... in the linked thread above, I tried to link the place where you can get the latest of each driver... please know that ASUS made changes to their download servers, thus some links in that thread aren't existed.

if you're missing some driver, you can always try to use DRP driver package, as it is free, and I personally go with its ISO anywhere ( got a USB for computer maintenance in my wallet ).

Lastly, Please check the win10 special comment I left in the linked thread above, as Win10 is a nasty spying-after-everything OS - BUT note that this feature can be handled and removed.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]