cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ROG laptop is best for me?

FrozenLiquidity
Level 7
Hey ROG forums,

I'm in the market for a newer gaming laptop to replace my aging HP DV7t Quad Ed (see images). I've really grown to appreciate some of the features of this system, so I am hoping I can find that has what I'm looking for in addition to the sleek and elegant design that some of the ROG notebooks sport.

The things I've gotten used to and enjoy about my current laptop are:

• Brushed aluminum surfaces (lid and interior chassis surface)
  • Two bays for 2.5" drives (though one 2.5 and an M.2 would suffice in a new system)
  • The heft (I don't need a heavy laptop, but I don't mind the weight and prefer the feel of solid construction)
  • The size - It's a 17 inch (I'd like to stay at that size, but wouldn't mind moving in to the 15 inch range if I find a fit)
  • A sleek, elegant and simple design

Now, I've done a bit of homework and have come across a few models that I think I would enjoy - I've stayed away from the models that have more elaborate back designs, or screen hinges that aren't at the very rear of the system (for some reason these don't appeal to me) and have found myself drawn to the G771JW and G551JW. Unfortunately, these aren't the newest models, and from what I've seen the refreshes on them are not so much as a step forwards as they are a step sideways - and in the case of the G771JW, I have not seen any refresh that maintains this design. Sadness.

• With that in mind, does anyone know or is anyone aware of refreshes of these designs with newer hardware? The ones I listed are almost completely refurbished/used at this point.
  • What is the difference between the G551JW and the GL551JW? I can't seem to find anything that indicates what the difference is between the G's and the GL's.
  • Does the G/GL551 have two 2'5" drives - or the ability to remove the optical drive to add another 2.5" drive?
  • Are there compatible Windows 7 drivers available for these machines? I will use 10 if I have to, but I'd prefer 7 even if it means jumping through a few hoops.
  • Finally, if there aren't any Asus models that fit the bill, can anyone recommend any others that might appeal to me?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

maf23
Level 7
I have the GL552VW-DH71 and am happy with it, but the touchpad is not supported for Windows 7. Also, there are two versions (with no discernible model number differences afaik). One has aluminum backed monitor and one is plastic. I have the aluminum one and it seems pretty sturdy, but reviews of the plastic version are not so good. There is a room for three hard drives if you replace the optical drive, but you will most likely need the optical drive to install windows 7 because the USB ports do not work natively for Win 7 on this Skylake chipset. Getting the correct m2 SSD is tricky as well (specs do not specify correct type). There is a model that comes with 128 GB M2 drive pre-installed for about $250 more. Graphics card is a weak point (only GTX960M), but with full HD 15.6" this allows most games at med settings. I like the Type C USB port, but it is not reported to support a monitor (I have not tried after the latest bios release last week).

Reviews:
http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-gl552vw-review-the-gl552-gets-a-solid-update-still-maintains-...
http://www.ultrabookreview.com/8975-asus-rog-gl552vw-review/

Thanks Maf23,

I'll check that one out, though from what I've seen the 6700hq isn't quite as fast as the 4720hq, but it's not that far off either. I definitely want to steer clear of plastic ones - the more aluminum the better, just don't know what to expect from the differences in model number is all (like the GL551JW has a DS71 and a WH71, no clue as to the difference). I don't mind navigating the murky waters for the right M.2, though it's hard to know what each of these has going for it without ever having seen it in person. Most external displays I'm likely to use are likely HDMI, but I have some mini DP adapters too.

Any ideas as to the difference between the G and the GL? I'll keep my eye on some of the newer ones, but not sure what to expect in terms of specs/design of any of the new releases, so I'm not holding my breath.

maf23
Level 7
There is a thread here that I remember seeing about that. Someone mentioned discrepancies between what was on the box vs what was on the unit. It may be regional difference. I am not aware of any real difference though. Someone said the L is a lower cost version, but I was unable to confirm that in my research. Here in the US, all models are GL552. LCD panel manufacturer is the only thing I would be weary of. I know my last Lenovo model had multiple LCD vendors for the same model number and it is an easy way to save costs without seeing it in the specs. The differences I have seen are with the last four characters only and mainly pertain to the pre-installed m2 drive. Mine had the 7200 rpm 1TB drive and an m2 slot, but I chose to swap the 1 TB for a 480 GB SSD and my m2 slot is still open. Still plenty fast enough for me, I can boot into Windows 7 in a little over 20 seconds and switch between Win 7 and Win 10 in about 45 sec.

You may choose the steer clear of the Skylake chips if you choose to stay with Windows 7. The previous generation may be a little easier to set up (I am told the trackpad still works on the older processors with Win7)

Thanks maf, that's some good information.

I'll make up my mind in a day or two and let you know what I end up going with. Thanks!

Anyone else have any thoughts regarding this?

jose_jayant
Level 7
bruh buy anything but dont go for asus rog gl552jx. I own it and am very unhappy with its build quality. It feels my laptop is faulty. plz dont go for this one. Don't get lured by internet reviews of this model.

jose jayant wrote:
bruh buy anything but dont go for asus rog gl552jx. I own it and am very unhappy with its build quality. It feels my laptop is faulty. plz dont go for this one. Don't get lured by internet reviews of this model.

Haha, alright Jose. I will avoid that model for you. Sorry about your laptop woes! :eek:

I have the G751jt-DH72 and it is a great Gaming laptop, has the best of everything and the Geforce GTX 970m is Awesome.

Gaming portable workstations at long last have the ability to convey incredible gaming encounters, and late equipment propels like Intel's Skylake and Nvidia's GTX 980 (a desktop GPU now equipped for running on scratch pad) make this a decent time to purchase. In any case, the interminable assortment of gaming portable workstation models makes shopping extreme. And if anyone who want to hire ordercollegepapers.com online they can check this out here.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up getting a G551JW-DS71 and am so far loving it. It's got a simple and elegant design with the brushed aluminum I was looking for, as well as the specs that fit my needs. I was even able to install my preferred OS on it without a hitch. So, due to the feedback here I've found one that I'm really happy with!

Now, it does have some drawbacks which I am in the process of correcting... the screen is pretty pathetic, I'm looking at some of the glossy replacement screens whenever my warranty runs out, I think I'd much prefer those to the matte screen, but we'll see if it's grown on me in a year. Second - only one HDD bay! I know, it's not a monster laptop that generally has two of these, though I was expecting to at least be able to use a full-size M.2 or msata. My mistake, it only accepts half-size cards from brands that I am not familiar with. I'll pass.... Instead I've thrown a Samsung SSD in there and am waiting on a HDD caddy to replace the optical drive since I can't recall the last time I used that outside of an OS installation. Finally, i thought there might have been something wrong with the laptop as when I put my head really close to it I could hear something that sounded like a wobbling fan. It turned out to be the HDD (I haven't listened to one in ages!) and after replacing it the machine is pretty-much whisper quiet.

Well, aside from the screen and the drive limitation I'm pretty happy with this laptop! The size difference isn't that noticeable either, so it's not that much different from my 17" when it comes down to it. While the specs may not be top of the line it's more than adequate for the games I'm likely to play on it, and it runs Arma 3 better than my current (2011-2012ish) gaming desktop, so I really can't complain.

Thanks for the suggestions all! If anyone has any recommendations as far as screen replacements go, I'm all ears.