cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underclocking on rampage v extreme?

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I'm trying to burn in Indigo xtreme. The only issue is running my 5960x at stock speeds causes the chip to heat up prior to being able to properly perform the burn in process. So, I need to drop 500 mhz off the stock speed.

I tried doing this by lowering the base clock, but that caused the voltage to raise. Is there a means of dropping the clock speed, and having the board autoconfigure voltage?
8 REPLIES 8

drop4205
Level 12
Make sure the noctua cooler is seated properly on the chip. It sounds as if it may not be. How hot is the chip getting at stock speed during idle? Can you run real temp to vies the temps
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Starts off at 67 after boot up, and starts heating up quickly prior to launching aida64. My 5930k used to sit in the 50s, while waiting on burn in.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
EK was who suggested I down clock the chip. I need time to kill the pumps before starting the burn in.

cekim
Level 11
If you disable turbo, you will be at 3.0 vs 3.5GHz, is that what you want?

You could also disable some cores...

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Voltage goes up if the chip turbos right?

Zarathustraa wrote:
Voltage goes up if the chip turbos right?

Voltage is scaled to frequency, so, yes it does go up in turbo mode, but it also goes up as the chip moves from its idle to loaded speed-step states.

So, disabling turbo specifically on the 5960x will keep it between 1200 and 3000 MHz but it will vary in between there unless you also disable speed-step.

You can set whatever multiplier you like as well from 12 to 29 if you want it to run slower than stock. You can also set manual mode on the voltage as well if you don't want that fluctuating, but it will need to be set at the voltage required for the highest frequency you allow in your config (see above).

p.s. as the first reply mentioned, if I saw 67 on boot up with any decent cooling arrangement, I'd be looking for installation issues. It just doesn't get that hot until you push it. I had an AIO fail on one setup so the pump wasn't running at all. I could get into and remain in the BIOS never breaking 40C with nothing but the copper mass and static fluid in the AIO (because the pump was dead) there to remove heat.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I could try. I just only have one application left.

If this stuff reflows correctly the temps are amazing. Cores stay in the 60s during stress tests. It just needs perfect application to work.