cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update the Thunderbolt controller firmware

freddii
Level 8
ASUS release a firmware update to the Thunderbolt controller a few days ago. I am on the newest BIOS and installed the Thunderbolt driver provided by ASUS on their website.

When the Thunderbolt feature is activated in the BIOS, the updater says something in the lines of the Thunderbolt controller can not communicate with the WMI.

Does anyone else have any luck?
8 REPLIES 8

hiong
Level 8
I think you can only update if you have the Thunderbolt I/O card as well.

@ freddii *I got the same message on my ThunderboltEX 3. I stop working all of a sudden, and I got the same message saying "Failed to load Thunderbolt(TM) controller through WMI" *when I try to reinstall the firmware. *Did you find a solution to the problem? *I'm*stuck with my card not working. *I didn't change any bios settings and the card was working perfectly fine for over a year.***It stopped working all of a sudden.*

I can not help you with this, sorry. I have never been able to make it update.

As somebody mentioned above, an external device is needed to update it apparently.

Perhaps try to contact ASUS support, or make a new thread about your issue.

Three_of_Twelve
Level 7
Witch Update do you mean nd witch motherboard do you use? I have the maximus viii extreme and I haven't any problem with the firmwareupdate from the asushompage of this mainboard.

Three of Twelve wrote:
Witch Update do you mean nd witch motherboard do you use? I have the maximus viii extreme and I haven't any problem with the firmwareupdate from the asushompage of this mainboard.

This thread is talking about updating the firmware of the Thunderbolt controller.

Three_of_Twelve
Level 7
Yes and for the maximus viii extreme there is a firmwareupdate for the thunderboltcontroller.

I'm bumping this up to raise awareness about this issue. It is unacceptable. You sold us something that's supposed to work and then release BIOS updates that break that functionality? ASUS, you have to release a fix for this ASAP!

Praz
Level 13
Hello

This thread is old and there is no need for bumping it as you have already started your own thread.