cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Coil Whine

Odaik
Level 7
Hello,

I am currently using an Intel 6700K CPU with an Asus M8H motherboard. I've been trying to figure out the best settings for stability at various frequencies and using programs like OCCT and IBT to test.

I notice however that when under load, there is some coil whine from the motherboard. I know coil whine is often unavoidable with PC components, but this is the first time I have ever encountered it coming from a motherboard's circuitry.

Is it normal to experience some coil whine with these boards, or is it an indication my board is faulty?

Funnily enough, this is also the very first build I've done in about 10 years where I haven't had any coil whine from the VGA... 😛

Thanks

Odai.
3 REPLIES 3

ondersma80
Level 7
There are a few other users reporting this with various Maximus VIII boards in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83772-Coil-capacity-squealing-buzzing-coming-from-CPU-area...

One user corrected it with PSU swap, one thinks OC related, one thinks it had been improving over the last few BIOS releases. The OP was swapping his board I think. Perhaps if his replacement still does it you guys can figure out what you have in common as far as settings and components. I haven't noticed this with or without OC on my M8Hero-Alpha. However, various squeals on never platforms like this wouldn't surprise me. As focuses toward power saving and efficiency grow as will the likelihood of inducing noise.

ondersma80 wrote:
There are a few other users reporting this with various Maximus VIII boards in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83772-Coil-capacity-squealing-buzzing-coming-from-CPU-area...

One user corrected it with PSU swap, one thinks OC related, one thinks it had been improving over the last few BIOS releases. The OP was swapping his board I think. Perhaps if his replacement still does it you guys can figure out what you have in common as far as settings and components. I haven't noticed this with or without OC on my M8Hero-Alpha. However, various squeals on never platforms like this wouldn't surprise me. As focuses toward power saving and efficiency grow as will the likelihood of inducing noise.

Been through 3 different boards from right when they were released to one I purchased about 2 months ago all have had the coil whine issue. It only tends to happen for me when running prime stress test on certain tests. But all the boards have exhibited this. Tried multiple psus as well.

thomas_yiu
Level 9
What kind of water pump or water cooling do you use?
Sincerely,
TY