cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Memory errors at boot: Bad CPU or Motherboard?

x01015918
Level 7
Hi,

I was running Maximus Hero VIII + 6700k@4.4@1.25V + Corasir Domainator@2400/CL11/1.344V since January on windows 10 x64.
I didn't had any real isses with the system, except some PDC latencys that I was trying to fix few days ago, and the fact that every time I installed the OS sfc /scannow was showing corrupted files.
Now the first thing I noticed when I got the setup was the voltage, the default settings in bios was pushing 1.28v Vcore and I got 1.36xv in HWinfo64,
so I did my OC on manual voltage, the best I got stable was 4.6@1.295V. I am using H100i so my temps never went over 60°C.

Now the issue:
1. I downgraded to Windows 8.1 to check if latency was any better.
2. I decided to play with Asus AI suite and try the 5 way optimization for stock cooling not to push the voltages too high.
3. First reboot I got the "Overclocked 5%" under Asus logo and BSOD Memory Management Error
4. I went back to bios reset to default, same outcome, from now on every test is on default UEFI settings.
5. At this point I decided to go back to Windows 10, I booted the usb installation that I used before and the same random memory errors.
6. Time to check the RAM MemTest86 bootable memory test went ok, I removed the ram one by one, tried each module in each slot, nu success.
7. I started to disable every onboard device in bios, removed everything pluged in my MB and left only the processor and memory and the usb I was booting from, same.
8. Flashback different bios versions 804/1001/1402/1504, cold boot, no success.
9. I checked for damage on the motherboard and cpu pins. Everything is ok.
10. I managed to install Ubuntu but not very stable, plenty of errors
11. I went back to MemTest86 and I tried the Round Robin test, now this one started cpu1:ok/cpu2:ok and at cpu 2 or 3 just freez, no error.
12. I set my processor to run with only 1 core and I was able to install Windows, and it's working with the full 16gb of memory.
I also can boot to Windows if the windows boot option is set to use only one core and enable all cores in UEFI.
13. Now taking a closer look, I also see some driver errors in system devices. the devices look installed but if you check the driver event you can see 0x0 error code on many chipset devices.
and Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PMC-A121 is showing that is not working properly.

Now I'm preparing for RMA, but I'm not sure where is the problem, CPU or MB, my bet is on CPU but if you guys have other ideas....
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
Clear your CMOS and run HCI Memtest on each memory module individually. Let it run until you get least 500% coverage. If you've never used that program before, there is a section on it in my DDR4 3000 guide.

Also since you've used Linux before, you can always use the Google Stress App for memory testing. It's even more extensive than HCI Memtest. 🙂

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and run HCI Memtest on each memory module individually. Let it run until you get least 500% coverage. If you've never used that program before, there is a section on it in my DDR4 3000 guide.

Also since you've used Linux before, you can always use the Google Stress App for memory testing. It's even more extensive than HCI Memtest. 🙂

Thanks, I will try this, but I'll have to do it with one core since I can't boot with all cores enabled. But my problem appear when using all cores active regardless of memory modules, and I already mentioned that in memtest86 it was ok using one core (default) and it failed when I tried Round Robin (this is when it tries to complete the same test with each core)

Chino
Level 15
Sounds like a defective CPU. I remember there was a case on the forums where a user wasn't able to install Windows at all. It would always BSOD. It turned out to be a bad core since disabling that specific core solved the problem.

Hi guys,
I got my CPU replaced and working fine, what do you think did I got lucky with this one?

Nate152

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
It could also not be the CPU but just solved by removing and inserting the same CPU in the socket. Some times, since the contacts are in the socket of the motherboard, the unclamp, removal, inserting and clamp solve the bad contact.

Black Phoenix wrote:
It could also not be the CPU but just solved by removing and inserting the same CPU in the socket. Some times, since the contacts are in the socket of the motherboard, the unclamp, removal, inserting and clamp solve the bad contact.

It could, but not in my case, first of all the cpu worked for about 2 months and second I checked for damage pins so I did remove the CPU