cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never Asus again - Part II

Dysternaut
Level 7
Since my original thread was hijacked by people who don't know how to behave themselves, and therefore closed, I have posted this new thread with my support exeperience, since the case is still ongoing:

I have always liked ASUS, and have bought many of their products over the last 10+ years. My impression has always been that they were a quality brand. An impression they have now thoroughly smashed to itty bitty pieces. Here's my story, which consists of two main parts.

Part 1: Quality
I bought a PG279Q monitor from a local internet retailer here in Denmark a few months ago. A very expensive piece of equipment which I was very psyched to be able to afford after some time saving up for it.

When I get it, it has terrible light bleed in the bottom right corner and a dead pixel. I contact the store, but they want me to send it in and wait for them to sort it out. So I try contacting Asus directly and send along some pictures of the problems. They send me a replacement, and my first unit was returned in the same process. Nice service!

The second unit is worse, even more bleed and another dead pixel. I’m crushed. So I contact Asus again, and once again I get a replacement and mine is returned. The third has the exact same problem, worse than the first, but not as bad as the second. I give up and return it after Asus agrees to provide me with my money back. It takes over a month for the refund to be processed all the way back to the store where I bought it, but I finally get my money.

I am severely shocked by the quality issue with these monitors, especially considering what they cost! And reading up on this forum just indicates to me that this is a very big problem. So much for Asus being good quality hardware.

Part 2: Service
A year ago I bought a ROG G20AJ desktop computer, which I was very happy with for the first six months, especially after installing Windows 10 instead of that abysmal Windows 8. However, it started to be unstable. Sometimes, about 1 out 7 times, it would present a blue screen error 0xc0000225 and the message that “Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.” Only way to get it to boot up was to hit the power button again, wait a few secs and try again. When the error occurs, the SSD disk in the computer was not to be seen in the BIOS, it seems the problem was related to that SSD.

I start a case with Asus, and they provide me with a few things I can try in the BIOS, but the problem persists, and also starts occurring more often. The Asus rep, who has not been particular courteous or service minded, but who has at least tried to help me with a few suggestions, finally suggests we send it in for service. I discuss the warranty with him, as I would like to check myself if it is just a loose cable, but alas, I cannot open the case without voiding the warranty.

I fiddle about Asus’s RMA website for a good while, trying to get it to accept my inputted data. After some trial and error, it finally gets through. I had to cut my problem description in half, due to their RMA form severely limiting the number of characters you can enter. I copy pasted from my original problem description on the case, but had to cut it down a lot due to the limitation. As a precaution, I put all screenshots and the full description on the desktop of a newly created Windows user with the name “ASUS Support” which I also set the machine to autologin to after clearing it of my own data. It’s sent off for service in Sweden.

The unit is returned to me fairly quick. I packaged it very well when I sent it off, but what I get in return is not nearly packaged as well. It seems to have survived the journey though, so I unpack it. The computer itself is VERY dirty, dusty and riddle with smudged black fingerprints. Luckily no scratches or anything else severe, but I spend about 15 minutes cleaning it. I’m glad it got back to me in one piece, as the box looks like it’s been through a war zone.

I boot it up and it boots up in Windows 8.1 just fine. No problem, I can reinstall Windows 10 myself. However, I soon discover that the operating system is installed on the 1 TB harddrive in the system, and the SSD drive is nowhere to be found in either Device Manager or BIOS. So I sent in the system with an unstable SSD and got it back with NO SSD. Fantastic!

I’m a patient man, but after this I am pissed off. So I write Asus a complaint by way of their website, and explain the case in details and how I was returned a more broken product than I sent in for service. I get a snide reply in return, which in no way apologizes or anything like that, but just blatantly blames the whole ordeal on my problem description! I swear to god, I have steam coming out of my ears at this point.

I write an 8 paragraph long mail back (about as long as this forum post), explaining how this can in no way be my fault, and how I would expect just a small amount of courtesy and service mindedness on their part. I just got a short answer that it needs to be sent in for service again. That was the straw that broke this camels back. I am through with Asus. I am never buying one of their products again, and I will never recommend anyone to go near their products when they ask for my advice on buying hardware. I am also dreading what kind of state my computer will be in this time, when I get it back.

I also tried reaching out to the guy working at Asus Nordic (who are behind all my correspondence with Asus) which handled my LCD monitor case, for at least he had some courtesy and seemed very service minded. But I was told he is no longer with Asus. Can’t say that it surprises me that the one guy I had contact with who was decent at his job is now fired or has moved on.

So just let this be a warning to anyone else buying Asus products in the nordic countries of europe. You better pray to god your hardware doesn’t fail you. I was actually considering the PG278Q after my incident with the PG279Q, but before my computer broke. Now I’m going to be avoiding all Asus products like the plague they are.

And to everyone who has read through all that… thank you for listening to my tale of Asus woe. Peace out!
20 REPLIES 20

Dysternaut
Level 7
The absurdities of their support and service continues. I have now gotten my machine back from the second service trip. They have finally replaced the SSD disk and the machine seems to be wortking now.

The machine was dusty and dirty again when I received it though, and after cleaning it, I found one very noticeable white scuff mark on the side of the case, a small but noticeable scratch on the other side and a notch, probably from tool, on the side of the plastic on the bottom of the case.

Have written their support once again (for god knows what time by now) and sent them pictures of the damages.

To be continued...

Dysternaut
Level 7
And for the record, I just tried buying an Acer Predator XB271HU IPS panel monitor today, very much like the PG279Q from Asus.

It seems they use the same crap quality panels, as it has the EXACT same issue as the Asus monitor.

Massive, and I mean MASSIVE, lightbleed in the bottom right corner. It's so bad that while I am sitting here writing this on the monitor, with NO lights on at all around me, it still looks like a light right behind me is shining into the monitor.

Gonna try and exchange it a few times like I did with the Asus, to see if I get lucky. Highly doubt it though.

Also to be continued...

AlexB121
Level 7
*****delete ur account and leave no one is paying any attention to u someone please close this garbage

Asus121 wrote:
*****delete ur account and leave no one is paying any attention to u someone please close this garbage

Knock off the trolling NOW. If you post again you will be banned.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Asus121 wrote:

First of all, I love the irony in you telling me no one is paying attention to me, by paying very much attention to me. 😉

Secondly, I am currently PMing with one of the administrators on this forum about my experience, so I say I have someones attention.

I won't reply to you again. Ever. How about you return the favour by taking your own advice and staying out of my thread if it's such garbage? Thanks.

AlexB121
Level 7
LOl ok man go cry to administrators im done with you lol

Dysternaut
Level 7
Okay, so an Asus support guy called me today. Which is huge, since I have asked them to call me on several occasions, but it never happened.

However, he only called to check up on my case, since he hadn't heard from me, even though I sent a mail before easter. This email, it seemed, had not reached them. He mentioned there might have been email problems during the easter holiday.

I described the damages, and asked what could be done about it. Surprise, surprise, the only thing that can be done is sending it in for service... a third time! I wanted to scream at this point.

I'm a well mannered guy though, so I made my frustration known in a very civil manner, which didn't make much of a difference. I resent the email, and am now waiting to hear back about the details of what can be done, and if the side panels for the case are in stock at the service center.

The guy was in no way apologetic or anything like that, I just got a strong feeling that he wanted the call ended as soon as humanly possible, and I had to pry any answers out of him.

Untill then I am contemplating if I really want to send it in a third time... it might be scratched not, but at least now it's working!

Also, plan on exchanging my Acer Predator XB271HU tomorrow, and see if a second one of them is the lucky panel lottery winner.

Stay tuned...

quark54
Level 8
http://pcdiy.asus.com/2016/03/on-backlight-bleed-with-the-rog-swift-pg279q-gaming-monitor/

You might find this interesting. There have been issues. Free replacements are available but only US...

quark54 wrote:
http://pcdiy.asus.com/2016/03/on-backlight-bleed-with-the-rog-swift-pg279q-gaming-monitor/

You might find this interesting. There have been issues. Free replacements are available but only US...

Thanks alot for the link! Nice to see Asus at least acknowledge the issue, but frankly it just grinds my axe even more, as this does not apply to me, as I don't live in North America. What a way to complete and utterly screw all other customers living outside that area.

"Hello, we know our products are of bad quality, and we now address this issue... for some of you, if you live in the right geographical area. The rest of you are royally screwed, thanks, bye." What a joke.

In other new on my front, things are starting to happen much more frequently in my support case funny enough, after a mod here contacted me and asked for details so he could escalate the case. The Asus supporter now calls me, instead of emailing, and he is much quicker to respond. Funny how you have to write long critical forum posts before things start to kick in gear, eh?

The solution we agreed on for the damages to my case, is that he will send me a new side for the case. Both sides are damaged, but one is most noticeable, and luckily that side is easily replaceable without losing warranty. So he's sending that side to me, and hopefully that will be the end of it.

I will have to live with the scracth they made on the other side, because the only other option was to send my computer back to the people who damaged it in the first place, for service again. I'm not doing that again, who knows what they'll break that time around?

So it will probably end here, and I am looking to buy my high end gaming monitor from Acer, as Asus is no longer an option for me, after this.

Also, I have decided to give up on IPS and the panel lottery, and get a TN panel instead. I don't have time to exchange another 10 monitors before I get a decent one...