cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 on Rog G20AJ

darktytanus
Level 7
Hi,
I heard, by the rumor hanging around, that the 1080 will have a very low power consumption. Around 150-200W. So logically my Rog with the 2 power supply, will be enough to run this Graphic card ? Right ?
Thanks for the help.
51 REPLIES 51

DeII
Level 7
WCCFTech says, "Since there’s no confirmation by NVIDIA on either the cooler or the naming scheme of the upcoming Pascal cards, we have to take this information with a grain salt."

Ok, so the 1080 is finally out:

The G20AJ comes with these supplies:

180 W + 230 W Power adapter
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG_G20AJ/specifications/

I presume 180 W is the dedicated video power supply.

The GTX 1080 needs 180 W according to the official specs:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Thermal and Power Specs:
180 W Graphics Card Power (W) <----
500 W Recommended System Power (W)*3 <--- the intriguing part

*3 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz processor. Pre-built system may require less power depending on system configuration.

Adding up the both G20 power supply values:
180 + 230 = 410 W
The NVidia recommendation = 500 W

Seems to be compatible? It's exactly the needed juice, 180 W. I wonder if the GTX 1080 will work on the G20AJ safely, with no extra modifications.

I've raised a ticket with ASUS, let's see what they have to say.

luki4no wrote:
Ok, so the 1080 is finally out:

The G20AJ comes with these supplies:

180 W + 230 W Power adapter
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG_G20AJ/specifications/

I presume 180 W is the dedicated video power supply.

The GTX 1080 needs 180 W according to the official specs:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Thermal and Power Specs:
180 W Graphics Card Power (W) <----
500 W Recommended System Power (W)*3 <--- the intriguing part

*3 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz processor. Pre-built system may require less power depending on system configuration.

Adding up the both G20 power supply values:
180 + 230 = 410 W
The NVidia recommendation = 500 W

Seems to be compatible? It's exactly the needed juice, 180 W. I wonder if the GTX 1080 will work on the G20AJ safely, with no extra modifications.

I've raised a ticket with ASUS, let's see what they have to say.

I got a sloppy response from the ASUS support.: It doesn't work and they don't recommend it. The only supported models are the ones published on their home page:

NVIDIA® GeForce GTX980 4GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX970 4GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX760 2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX750 1GB/2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX745 1GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX780 3GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX770 2GB

I don't believe it. I asked for further clarification.

luki4no wrote:
I got a sloppy response from the ASUS support.: It doesn't work and they don't recommend it. The only supported models are the ones published on their home page:

NVIDIA® GeForce GTX980 4GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX970 4GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX760 2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX750 1GB/2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX745 1GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX780 3GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX770 2GB

I don't believe it. I asked for further clarification.

I got another response from support. The main constraints are the dimensions of the card and the power supply. If the new 1080 doesn't get enough juice the whole system will stagnate or not boot.

I understand the support folks, still I wonder if ASUS ROG will release an in-house version of the 1080, perhaps adjusting the sizes to make it fit in their ROG G20 frame.

Let's wait and see if anyone is brave enough to risk it.
"

luki4no wrote:
The main constraints are the dimensions of the card and the power supply. If the new 1080 doesn't get enough juice the whole system will stagnate or not boot.

"

For what concerning the power, i think that with the 230w power brick, we should be just fine. I mean, in the past they had been selling the G20 with the 780 that has a TDP of 250w, the 1080 should have a TDP of 180w which is slighty more than the 980. My main concern is about the shape..

luki4no wrote:
I got another response from support. The main constraints are the dimensions of the card and the power supply. If the new 1080 doesn't get enough juice the whole system will stagnate or not boot.

I understand the support folks, still I wonder if ASUS ROG will release an in-house version of the 1080, perhaps adjusting the sizes to make it fit in their ROG G20 frame.

Let's wait and see if anyone is brave enough to risk it.
"

I feel like that's a BS response, the spec of the founders edition 1080 is reference spec, which is 4.376x10.5 @ double width. Same as my 980ti which fits which wasn't "supported". It worked even with the 230w 2nd psu for the gpu, just hat I had to limit power consumption to 90% at the time since the card req 250w. Now that I have the Dell y90rr it stabilized. I'm confident that the 1080 will fit and run on the g20aj that I will be the first one to order that card and install it. (Unless someone gets it before me lol)

Ravenholme wrote:
I feel like that's a BS response, the spec of the founders edition 1080 is reference spec, which is 4.376x10.5 @ double width. Same as my 980ti which fits which wasn't "supported". It worked even with the 230w 2nd psu for the gpu, just hat I had to limit power consumption to 90% at the time since the card req 250w. Now that I have the Dell y90rr it stabilized. I'm confident that the 1080 will fit and run on the g20aj that I will be the first one to order that card and install it. (Unless someone gets it before me lol)

then I just wait your test 🙂

Ravenholme
Level 7
I think you have this backwards, the 180W is for the mainboard, and other devices attached to it. the secondary 230W is specifically for the GPU. the 1080's Power req is 180W at base, i'm sure it'll draw more when on full load. so the 230W PSU should be able to handle it if you have both the 180 & 230. (as long as the jumpers are set correctly and/or it already came like that when you bought it)

Ravenholme wrote:
I think you have this backwards, the 180W is for the mainboard, and other devices attached to it. the secondary 230W is specifically for the GPU. the 1080's Power req is 180W at base, i'm sure it'll draw more when on full load. so the 230W PSU should be able to handle it if you have both the 180 & 230. (as long as the jumpers are set correctly and/or it already came like that when you bought it)

Thanks for the answer 🙂
I have set up already the jumper ans had bought a 230w poser supply for my gtx 680 which work very well 🙂

But i ask if the card (with the blower) enters the case ? Because of the new look and shape of the new 1070 and 1080 ! Hope it enter 🙂