cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with ram speed (ddr4-3300)

malone209
Level 7
Hey everyone,

So I'm pretty new to building pc's and just got this rig complete. Everything is running stable except for the ram timings. I noticed that there was no XMP profile for 3300 ram, anyone know why?

My ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231855

I've never messed with ram timings/voltages so I'm pretty clueless on this topic.
Also, I tried to load the XMP profile for 3200 and bios/windows show's my ram is only running at 2400mhz when I do this.
I have the latest BIOS as well from asus (2001).

Thanks in advance everyone (sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere).
10 REPLIES 10

Minsekt
Level 7
check with cpu-z/aida64 inside windows what speed your ram is running at, bios somehow doesnt always show the right frequencys for my cpu and ram either. (if you where talking about the very right side/overview)
what do you mean by the ram timings arent stable? does it crash? (during stresstesting/normal usage?)

you can enter your primary timings and 3300 frequency manually, but you might need to tweak system agent voltage above 3200mhz (regardless of wheter youre using xmp or manual).

Minsekt wrote:
check with cpu-z/aida64 inside windows what speed your ram is running at, bios somehow doesnt always show the right frequencys for my cpu and ram either.
what do you mean by the ram timings arent stable? does it crash? (during stresstesting/normal usage?)

you can enter your primary timings and 3300 frequency manually, but you might need to tweak system agent voltage above 3200mhz (regardless of wheter youre using xmp or manual).

Sorry I worded that oddly. When I had everything set to "auto" I believe it was showing 1666mhz for the speed's. I tried enabling the XMP profile for 3200 and I got into windows but then my pc eventually shut off and I got a bios message saying "bad overclock".
Before the crash I was able to check cpu-z and it showed DRAM Frequency at 1199.8 MHz. Either way I was just testing to see if I could run the ram at a lower XMP speed profile.

Do I just set my timings / frequency first and test if it's stable? If it crashes, I just follow through by adjusting the system agent voltage?
I'm assuming I do this with everything on manual. Anything else I need to check or look for?

Thanks for the help man, once again I'm a total noob at this stuff still lol.

so im kinda lost on what to do at this point,

under DRAM frequency (from what I understand), im supposed to take it off of AUTO and set it to my rated frequency but there is no "ddr4-3300" listed.

Also under dram timings, my timings are listed as
16-18-18-37

but the timings for my memory are 16-18-18-38.

How do I change the frequency to 3300?

malone209 wrote:
so im kinda lost on what to do at this point,

under DRAM frequency (from what I understand), im supposed to take it off of AUTO and set it to my rated frequency but there is no "ddr4-3300" listed.

Also under dram timings, my timings are listed as
16-18-18-37

but the timings for my memory are 16-18-18-38.

How do I change the frequency to 3300?

Hey,

If you fiddled alot in the bios and don't know what you touched i suggest you clear cmos.

1. Clear cmos
2. Boot in bios
3. If you have a cpu overclock, make sure to stabilize it before jumping to memory
4. Use a 125mhz strap since 100mhz on a 3300mhz kit will be hard to tune.
5. Apply the right frequency to your ram (3300mhz)
6. Manually enter memory settings (dram section included) (use loooser timmings if needed)
E.g : 18-18-18-38-2T, for testing purposes.
7. Stabilize system agent with small voltage increase/decrease (BUT LEAVE IT ON AUTO FIRST)
8. Once you obtain post stability get in windows and realbench 2.4 for 30mins. If it crashes try a little more vdimm or consider looser timmings.

Note : If you end up booting with the ram at it's stated frequency/timings and start loosing dimms (8gb-16gb-24gb) then you need to tune your system agent. In that case, remove "Auto" value for the system agent and start tuning from 0.800v to 1.25v max ( i wouldn't go over that). When you do that refer to the method in step 7 above.
Have fun tuning.

Note #2 : Try not to do many changed at once in the bios. I've hard trouble when doing that. Don't be afraid to "Save and Reboot" in bios just to make sure the board truly picks up your modifications.

Note #3 : Since your kit is quite high, you could use the eventual dram voltage option. Read in the manual how it works, it is really easy and in your case could help achieve post. You should know that X99 memory training (from what gurus said) is very hard. You could use a vdimm voltage of 1.4v and an eventual voltage of 1.35v (or is it the other way around ?, can't remember never used it). IF you end up doing that, make sure to read carefully and make sure you understand the feature.

Note #4 : Another trick could be to manually use the "mode 1" memory option. In your dram settings, the first options is in 99% of cases, left to "Auto" BUT if you force "Mode 1" which is the "Compatibility mode" it could help!. Forcing "Mode 2" could also help since this mode is for overclocking and your ram needs a fair overclock. Experiment with it if you can't find post stability.
Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey,

If you fiddled alot in the bios and don't know what you touched i suggest you clear cmos.

1. Clear cmos
2. Boot in bios
3. If you have a cpu overclock, make sure to stabilize it before jumping to memory
4. Use a 125mhz strap since 100mhz on a 3300mhz kit will be hard to tune.
5. Apply the right frequency to your ram (3300mhz)
6. Manually enter memory settings (dram section included) (use loooser timmings if needed)
E.g : 18-18-18-38-2T, for testing purposes.
7. Stabilize system agent with small voltage increase/decrease (BUT LEAVE IT ON AUTO FIRST)
8. Once you obtain post stability get in windows and realbench 2.4 for 30mins. If it crashes try a little more vdimm or consider looser timmings.

Note : If you end up booting with the ram at it's stated frequency/timings and start loosing dimms (8gb-16gb-24gb) then you need to tune your system agent. In that case, remove "Auto" value for the system agent and start tuning from 0.800v to 1.25v max ( i wouldn't go over that). When you do that refer to the method in step 7 above.
Have fun tuning.

Note #2 : Try not to do many changed at once in the bios. I've hard trouble when doing that. Don't be afraid to "Save and Reboot" in bios just to make sure the board truly picks up your modifications.

Note #3 : Since your kit is quite high, you could use the eventual dram voltage option. Read in the manual how it works, it is really easy and in your case could help achieve post. You should know that X99 memory training (from what gurus said) is very hard. You could use a vdimm voltage of 1.4v and an eventual voltage of 1.35v (or is it the other way around ?, can't remember never used it). IF you end up doing that, make sure to read carefully and make sure you understand the feature.

Note #4 : Another trick could be to manually use the "mode 1" memory option. In your dram settings, the first options is in 99% of cases, left to "Auto" BUT if you force "Mode 1" which is the "Compatibility mode" it could help!. Forcing "Mode 2" could also help since this mode is for overclocking and your ram needs a fair overclock. Experiment with it if you can't find post stability.
Max

Hey thanks for the guide! So far I havn't touched anything in the bios except disabling onboard audio. I was finally able to get bios/windows to detect atleast 3200mhz. I'll use your guide tomorrow to see if I can get stable at 3300 🙂

Minsekt
Level 7
thats because youre propably using a bclk of 100. youll need to set your bclk to 125 to unlock 3300. however on a bclk of 125 you cant use adaptive voltage, so your cpu cant downvolt.
i think that kit you got there was one of the first 3000+ kits, they where all using 125 bclk i think. i would stick to 100bclk and just try to get 3200 running at 16-18-18-38-N2 and try to tighten the timings to cas15. i see xmp profiles only as a baseline of what the ram is capable off.

Minsekt wrote:
thats because youre propably using a bclk of 100. youll need to set your bclk to 125 to unlock 3300. however on a bclk of 125 you cant use adaptive voltage, so your cpu cant downvolt.
i think that kit you got there was one of the first 3000+ kits, they where all using 125 bclk i think. i would stick to 100bclk and just try to get 3200 running at 16-18-18-38-N2 and try to tighten the timings to cas15. i see xmp profiles only as a baseline of what the ram is capable off.

Yeah that was the issue lol, using a bclk of 110 unlocked 3300 for me but I couldn't post due to "overclocking failed". I tested again using 3200 and I was able to boot and windows/bios are detecting 3200mhz as the speed now (dunno why it was stuck at 2400 before).

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

If you can get 3200mhz stable, you can try dropping timings instead of achieving 3300mhz.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey,

If you can get 3200mhz stable, you can try dropping timings instead of achieving 3300mhz.

Max

Yeah I think I'm going to go this route. I was able to get into Windows at 3200 but after some usage the computer would freeze. Just keep adjusting the system agent voltage, test and repeat correct?
Thanks guys 🙂 Oh yeah, do you still recommend 125 strap for 3200?