cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G53SW-A1 Keyboard not lighting

OneTwoThree
Level 7
Hi,

I'm pretty new to computers and new to this site, so please bear with me. Few months ago I bought an Asus G53SW-A1 laptop, everything works perfectly fine except two problems.

Number one, the keyboard used to light up but 2 days after purchase it stopped working... It does light up for a few seconds when you boot it up.

Number two, directly related or might even be the cause of #1, the three buttons on the top left corner of my keyboard I think as well stopped working.
One of these buttons are for switching on/off the keyboard backlit, another controls the power mode, and the third one I don't know.. The button for switching on the backlit is the only way I know how to light up the keyboard, and when I press it, the 3 buttons and the power button are the only ones that light up, the rest is still in the dark. I have tried using other ways but it didn't work out. Any suggestions?

Another side question, what's the difference between Intel boost and overclocking? I use my laptop mostly on High Performance, would that hurt my laptop?
14 REPLIES 14

380mcn
Level 9
it is a common issue. reinstall ATK, reboot, and press FN key to light them up
regarding the 3 keys i don't know. i have a g74 which only has 2.

Can you give me a link to download the ATK? I don't know what it is.

OneTwoThree wrote:
Can you give me a link to download the ATK? I don't know what it is.

thanks for that it worked great,

dstrakele
Level 14
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and double-click HControl.exe to execute it. Does this resolve your backlight issue?

If not, UNinstall your current ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT (Don't forget it!), then download your system's most recent ATK Package from http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G53SW&p=3&s=282 (you'll need to specify the OS) and install it.

The ATK Package Drivers control the function keys on your laptop. Alternatively, you could install the 1.00.0014 version ATK Package from the link in the OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread. However, some believe the ATK Package drivers may be model-specific. I'm currently running this version, but it was specified in conjunction with BIOS 202 to resolve a missing keystroke issue on the G74SX laptops.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and double-click HControl.exe to execute it. Does this resolve your backlight issue?

If not, UNinstall your current ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT (Don't forget it!), then download your system's most recent ATK Package from http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G53SW&p=3&s=282 (you'll need to specify the OS) and install it.

The ATK Package Drivers control the function keys on your laptop. Alternatively, you could install the 1.00.0014 version ATK Package from the link in the OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread. However, some believe the ATK Package drivers may be model-specific. I'm currently running this version, but it was specified in conjunction with BIOS 202 to resolve a missing keystroke issue on the G74SX laptops.

by the way.. by clicking on the HControl.exe ... it only activates back the light temporarily... and the worse part is that i got to click it after everytime i restart computer..
well.. 1 thing that i learned is.. u dun have to uninstall the ATK package.. u can just download the setup and REPAIR it.. it works fine for me.. my keyboard is back to normal now.

Thx for the advice to solve my problem..

DexSky wrote:
well.. 1 thing that i learned is.. u dun have to uninstall the ATK package.. u can just download the setup and REPAIR it.. it works fine for me.. my keyboard is back to normal now.

+1 @DexSky! I like your "REPAIR ATK" resolution. You can also right-click on the "ATK Package" in "Control Panel - Uninstall a program" and choose "Repair" from the popup menu.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:

Hi,

Your advice did help me, and I thank you for that. But there is still one problem. I recovered the functionality of the three buttons on the top left corner and I am able to use them; however, I cannot make the entire keyboard turn their back-lights on. The issue still remains that only the buttons on the very top lights up, and the actual usable keyboard does not.

OneTwoThree wrote:
Hi,

Your advice did help me, and I thank you for that. But there is still one problem. I recovered the functionality of the three buttons on the top left corner and I am able to use them; however, I cannot make the entire keyboard turn their back-lights on. The issue still remains that only the buttons on the very top lights up, and the actual usable keyboard does not.

did you try to press Fn + F4 ?

Wow I'm so stupid. Problem solved, thanks for the help!