cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

qcode B2 when using gtx 980

youtoofan
Level 7
Hi,

I recently added an MSI GTX 980 4G to my system, when i try to boot up the white VGA led on the motherboard lights up and QCODE B2 is displayed.
Both GPU and Motherboard bios have the latest version.

Previously I just used the iGPU without any problems.

Both 8 pin connectors are hooked up to my card, I've tried 2 different cables with same result.
The GPU logo is lighting up, initialy both fans on the card spin up but stop after a minute or so.

I've performed numerous CMOS resets, forced PEG as primary GPU in the bios.

After some trial and error i've managed some workaround:

Disconnect power from GPU
Boot system with iGPU
When booted to Windows 10, connect power connectors to GPU
Reboot system
Switch monitor to GPU displayport
And it works!

However, when i shutdown the system and boot again the problem is back!

Here's my system:

Motherboard:
viii impact

Processor:

Memory:
corsair vengeange 2x 8

Graphics Card #1:
msi gtx 980 4g gaming

Storage #1:
samsung 950 pro

CPU Cooler:
corsair h90i

Case:
gamerstorm tristellar

Power Supply:
be quiet dark power pro 11 550w
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Try reseating your GPU and make sure it's inserted all the way down the PCIe slot.

Tried that before, same result.

At first I tried a single cable that splits into 2 8-pin connectors that came with my PSU.
Then I tried the second cable.
After that I used both: connected an 8-pin from cable 1 and an 8-pin from cable 2.

Nate152
Hello youtoofan

It could possibly be the monitor cable, try different cables that came with your monitor.

If that doesn't help can you test your gtx 980 in another pc to confirm it works?

I've tried both DVI and Displayport cables.
Would a faulty monitor cable cause boot problems ? Because once I used my workaround mentioned in my first post, the GPU works as expected. I ran some GPU intensive tasks and games with no problems.
It's only the when booting up that things go wrong.

Nate152
Ah ok yep I see you got it working with your work around so we know it does work.

Is it any better if you set the primary gpu to pcie instead of peg?

A faulty monitor cable can cause boot problems but I don't think it's the problem with your situation since it works although let's not rule anything out just yet.

It was at PCIE by default in the beginning.
I've tried 'auto' and 'peg' after that. With the same result.

If I disconnect the power from the GPU, the LED will light up and one the fans spin up for a couple of seconds.
Should the bios detect the GPU at that time? Or does it need both 8-pin connectors to 'see' it ?

Nate152
Thank you

I'm pretty sure it needs both pcie cables to be recognized in the bios.

Can you try your gtx 980 in another pc to see if it still acts the same or would you have another gpu to try?